ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #23
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The brakes, valve adjustments and cost for the S54 specific oil are the major differences in maintenance between the si and M. Brakes are a little over twice as high as the standard brakes, but it isn't as if you have to change them all the time. The tires on your si are more expensive than the M due to the RFT's. No, the si does not need valve adjustments as it has hydraulic lifters vs the solid lifters on the M(the price we pay to get over 100hp/l). Those are only every 25K or so anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I'm in Canada where car speedometers read in kilometers per hour, miles per hour are in tiny numbers on the dial up here. Its the other way around on US cars, and I imported my car from the US.
No need to worry about the small miles per hour numbers on current and recent BMWs in Canada - they don't have any MPH markings at all! KPH scales only, and on the Z4M, even those numerals are quite small.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #25
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Horsepower is like money... You can never have enough!
In all seriousness, the man is a national hero and has done tours of duty abroad, You only live once. Sell the car and put the cash in on a used ///M....
And as previously stated, HIT THE TRACK ! It makes the power a necessity!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

While you are pondering, check out this video:

While I love my 3.0si, I never tire of that video!

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

And another favorite video:

This is a test of the first year Z4 3.0, 225 hp. The 2006 - 2008 3.0si is 255 hp. However, this video clearly shows the spirited way you can whip around in a 3.0. The 3.0si has an extra 30 hp, for even more spirited fun. So, you don't have to buy an M to have a lot of fun.

Although you may want to!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i Sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Lol you want to teach me about power to weight ratio? You have no idea. Most cars in BMWs current line up (actually I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption all) have a better power to weight ratio then your "zippy" roadster does. Some, not even M cars, demolish it. I can name a many "economy" cars too if you would like.

What you don't know is that the z4 is not that light of a car, 3k pounds. You can get away with that low of horsepower in a lotus elise that weighs 2k pounds.

And 1000hp is about bragging rights, 330hp is nothing to call home about.

If you think a 2.5 liter z4 is sporty then you just have a different level of perception.

I'm sure you do something your husband doesn't understand, he's probably not behind your back trying to figure out ways to make you not do it though, maybe you should be talking to him instead of posting threads.
My aren't you a bit touchy!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #29
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If you walked up to an average joe on the street, who drives a several year old family sedan or mini-van and handed him the keys to a nicely optioned and maintained low mileage BMW Z4 2.5, he would likely be thrilled beyond words.

And he would be right to feel that way!!! There are lots of 2.5 owners here and their cars are awesome!!

(Prior to August 2009, I was an average joe myself and would have been delighted with a 2.5 for the right price. Still am an average joe - but now I got my Z!!!)

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #30
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglet2002 View Post
Search his post history - he's almost being civil by his standards.

I'll be the guy to say it - you're right, your husband's wrong. Before I bought my BMWs, I sort of collected Porsches; I had a 911, a 944, and a 928S, all red/black, all from 1983. Of the 3, my favorite was the 944. Some of that preference was that it was light, had excellent balance, and had a better transmission than the 911. Some of it was that it only had 150hp, meaning that in real-life, real-world driving, it was the one that I got to wring out and enjoy without the fear of going to prison, for which I'm entirely to good-looking.

When I decided to sell the Porsches, I bought two 5-speed BMWs - a 2003 325i and 2003 Z4 2.5i, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. I went with the 2.5L inline six because I knew that I'd get to enjoy wringing the cars out a bit more than if I had the 330i and Z4 3.0i and I was right. There's a lot to be said for being able to use all the rpms of a small displacement engine - just ask Honda.

So, how'd I wind up with a Z4 M Coupe? I bought the Z4MC because I love the Z4 design and the M Coupe is the ultimate expression of it, so I had to have one even if I almost never get to take it to its limits (and on the typical club track day, that'd be difficult), same as with the 911 and 928. I'd never give the car up, as there's more to like about it than all-out performance, but I'm actually considered getting a 2.5L Boxster or 944/968 cab for summer "fun drives."

In truth, any experienced racer will tell you fun is barely related to horsepower, which is why there are racing series formed around the Miata and old 944s. Most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsche 911s spend their lives driven at 2/10ths of their performance potential because, as much as we all admire that performance, there are few places and fewer people that can see it unleashed properly; that's why so many Enzos and Carrera GTs have been wrecked.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post

I'll be the guy to say it - you're right, your husband's wrong. Before I bought my BMWs, I sort of collected Porsches; I had a 911, a 944, and a 928S, all red/black, all from 1983. Of the 3, my favorite was the 944. Some of that preference was that it was light, had excellent balance, and had a better transmission than the 911. Some of it was that it only had 150hp, meaning that in real-life, real-world driving, it was the one that I got to wring out and enjoy without the fear of going to prison, for which I'm entirely to good-looking.

When I decided to sell the Porsches, I bought two 5-speed BMWs - a 2003 325i and 2003 Z4 2.5i, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. I went with the 2.5L inline six because I knew that I'd get to enjoy wringing the cars out a bit more than if I had the 330i and Z4 3.0i and I was right. There's a lot to be said for being able to use all the rpms of a small displacement engine - just ask Honda.

So, how'd I wind up with a Z4 M Coupe? I bought the Z4MC because I love the Z4 design and the M Coupe is the ultimate expression of it, so I had to have one even if I almost never get to take it to its limits (and on the typical club track day, that'd be difficult), same as with the 911 and 928. I'd never give the car up, as there's more to like about it than all-out performance, but I'm actually considered getting a 2.5L Boxster or 944/968 cab for summer "fun drives."

In truth, any experienced racer will tell you fun is barely related to horsepower, which is why there are racing series formed around the Miata and old 944s. Most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsche 911s spend their lives driven at 2/10ths of their performance potential because, as much as we all admire that performance, there are few places and fewer people that can see it unleashed properly; that's why so many Enzos and Carrera GTs have been wrecked.
That sounds nice, but seriously, can you honestly say you enjoyed your Z4 2.5i more than your M coupe? More power is almost always more fun. I have had a Miata, Boxster 2.7, S2K and now Z4MR. While all of them were fun, the power of the M makes the car even more so!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #32
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
That sounds nice, but seriously, can you honestly say you enjoyed your Z4 2.5i more than your M coupe?
Think of this analogy: you can date Jessica Alba and never make it past first base, or you can date the attractive barista at your local Starbucks and get laid on the first date. Which would you enjoy more?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #33
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
No just think it's absolutely ridiculous what you're trying to do here. Am I right to also assume this is primarily his money he's wanting to spend.

Quote:
Think of this analogy: you can date Jessica Alba and never make it past first base, or you can date the attractive barista at your local Starbucks and get laid on the first date. Which would you enjoy more?
I'd take Jessica Alba over the slut who gave it up on the first date.
      03-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #34
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:

So, I'm tossing a bone out there.. does anyone here on the Z4 chatboard have any advice regarding performance mods for this car (we asked about Dinan chips at the dealer, and some options were mentioned for modest improvements to hp - 15-20 hp increases.) I'd much rather spend a few thousand on a car that's already paid for and owned outright, than go into debt.. I look forward to your responses...

Lisa
Its pretty simple.

Call Dinan and ask for prices on their various stages of modification. Choose one option, or no upgrade for zero dollars and write this down as price A.

Take your 2.5i to a dealership that has a Z4M your husband wants. Negotiate a trade. Write this down as price B.

B minus A equals the total difference between your options. Write this down as C.

Ask yourself if you value C more than you value your husband's happiness. Either answer can be valid.

Last edited by wildag; 03-01-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #35
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Don't forget to factor in the Z4 3.0si.

I wager that the majority of M drivers are incapable of pressing their cars to the limits of the car's capabilities.

So, a 3.0si may do the trick. Ask your hubby to drive one. Note that the 3.0si at 255 hp is smack in the middle of the horsepower range between the 2.5 (184 hp) and the M (330 hp). Its a significant power increase (an extra 71hp) over your current 2.5. And as one 3.0si review says:

"This engine pulls ferociously- especially on the highway where passing power is frankly startling."

So - what more do you want?

Good luck!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-01-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #36
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

$$

[QUOTE=O-cha;6820230]No just think it's absolutely ridiculous what you're trying to do here. Am I right to also assume this is primarily his money he's wanting to spend.

No sir! The money belongs to both of us... we both earned it with sweat and belt-tightening.. We both want to have a comfortable retirement and improve the house we've lived in for the past decade, which has had very few enhancements.. The cars are just one facet of our lives.. I consider it an achievement to be able to sacrifice and scrimp and save and be able to buy 2 BMWs in 4 years and not have car payments... Now it's time to put that money toward other things... and enjoy what we already have... You can go through life forever longing for more and more.. and lose sight of what you already have, which in our case, is more than we could've ever imagined 5 years ago..
      03-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #37
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm afraid of what his "non civil" standard's like...

I like your answer! There is no right or wrong answer in this instance. Neither me nor my husband is "wrong", it's just a preference.. Everything is subjective, not unlike looking at a piece of art. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 2.5i.

Lisa
      03-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

Boy! When it comes to the topic of horsepower, I've definitely touched a nerve here! I really appreciate all the posters who provided useful information worth further research. My husband and I talked some more this evening.. and he saw my point... Be grateful for what we have and stop pining for what we haven't. I told him we're not ruling out upgrading to a newer "faster" car at some point in the future (he's also drooling over the new gen e89..) but since we just purchased a new BMW to augment our Z, there are other bigger things to look forward to. If some of the ideas proposed on this thread are reasonably affordable (a few grand vs $10-20g for a newer car with our Z as collateral), we can pursue that for the time being and continue to enjoy our roadster.. plus some new goodies for the house, perhaps a well-earned vacation after his year in Iraq last year.. Perhaps a scenic drive in the Z (post mods) to a series of BnBs down the Shenandoah Parkway..

Again, thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to the research!

Lisa
      03-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #39
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we both earned it with sweat and belt-tightening..
Totally my personal opinion, but...

if people worried half as much about making money as they did about "scrimping to save" money, they'd be much better off. The Walmart mentality that you absolutely must work as hard as possible to spend as little as possible just means you'll never have the things you truely want.

I don't use credit cards. I don't owe an outrageous amount on my car. I don't make an extravagant salary. But I do set long term goals, and do a little work every day to achieve them. I don't get immediate rewards, and often I have to work longer and harder than I original planned.

But I don't shop at Walmart. I don't use hundreds of coupons. I don't take a lot time to figure out how to squeeze a dime out of every piece of bread. I save a lot of money. I do odds and ends jobs. I'm constantly learning new skills. I take time to join discussion groups in my field of work. I have made a product that can be re-sold for years. I can't file a 1040EZ.

So in short. Instead of telling your husband "No, because we need to save". Tell him, "lets figure out how we could afford a Z4m, and lets work towards that". It might take a long time. It might be a lot of work. But you'll have a moderately happy husband, and you'll have the bond of achieving something neither of you thought you could afford before.

Last edited by wildag; 03-01-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #40
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Totally my personal opinion, but...

if people worried half as much about making money as they did about "scrimping to save" money, they'd be much better off. The Walmart mentality that you absolutely must work as hard as possible to spend as little as possible just means you'll never have the things you truely want.

I don't use credit cards. I don't owe an outrageous amount on my car. I don't make an outrageous salaryy. But I do set long term goals, and do a little work every day to achieve them. I don't get immediate rewards, and often I have to work longer and harder than I original planned.

But I don't shop at Walmart. I don't use hundreds of coupons. I don't

So in short. Instead of telling your husband "No, because we need to save". Tell him, "lets figure out how we could afford a Z4m, and lets work towards that". It might take a long time. It might be a lot of work. But you'll have a moderately happy husband, and you'll have the bond of achieving something neither of you thought you could afford before.
I think I've been misunderstood here.. You basically just described me.. I saved and scrimped towards various goals during two deployments. While my husband was away both times, I put away the cash to buy the Z and most recently, the e90. These are achievements we are both very proud of.. I hope I don't sound smug by saying that... I don't mean to... BTW, I rarely shop at Walmart - too crowded and I hate the store layout... and I try to use coupons on occasion, but lately, the weekly coupon books in the paper have gotten progressively suckier.. I average about 6 coupons clipped per week these days.. We're not unhappy.. I apologize if I made it sound like things are otherwise..
      03-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I've been misunderstood here.. You basically just described me.. I saved and scrimped towards various goals during two deployments. While my husband was away both times, I put away the cash to buy the Z and most recently, the e90. These are achievements we are both very proud of.. I hope I don't sound smug by saying that... I don't mean to... BTW, I rarely shop at Walmart - too crowded and I hate the store layout... and I try to use coupons on occasion, but lately, the weekly coupon books in the paper have gotten progressively suckier.. I average about 6 coupons clipped per week these days.. We're not unhappy.. I apologize if I made it sound like things are otherwise..
Ok, well... just take a way this part...

You got to where you are by working hard. Tell him that what he wants is another goal that you've not met yet, but that you're willing to help him work towards it. Then identify a way you can get there. You've already proven its possible.

(its my personal opinion that "belt-tightenting" never got anyone anywhere)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #42
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like your answer! There is no right or wrong answer in this instance. Neither me nor my husband is "wrong", it's just a preference.. Everything is subjective, not unlike looking at a piece of art. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 2.5i.
True. I'm actually a little amazed no one's brought out the old line that applies perfectly: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." But the truth is, that's not something most people realize until they've had some ridiculously fast car and discovered just how rarely you get to use all of the performance - heck, even half! I'm sensing a lot of posters here aren't there yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #43
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Just as a counterpoint, I have driven an older Miata and was very underwhelmed. I found its lack of power frustrating, although it was fairly easy to drive and forgiving. Call me crazy but I love hearing an engine roar and push me back in the seat as I power out of a turn.

And while no one has really come out and said it, you can't take any car to its limits on the street with anyone else around. I just wouldn't want to be riding the line and have the unexpected happen and be at fault for hitting someone. Just because the limit is lower doesn't mean it's safely attainable. Whenever I drive quickly on the road I try to leave a nice buffer, and with the M I can go faster and still have that safe buffer. I find that more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #44
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
True. I'm actually a little amazed no one's brought out the old line that applies perfectly: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." But the truth is, that's not something most people realize until they've had some ridiculously fast car and discovered just how rarely you get to use all of the performance - heck, even half! I'm sensing a lot of posters here aren't there yet.
That's why I am advocating for the 3.0si. Its less costly to buy and maintain than an M - and its got plenty of guts. Unless you drive it on a track, you'll never come close to its potential. It will give you all the primeval thrill you can legally obtain on any North American street! This review says it all:

http://www.auto123.com/en/bmw/z4/200...00&artid=90628

Or, in other words, You don't know the Power of the SI!! (I just love that Darth Smilie! LOL!)

And one other thing. Whether you keep your 2.5 or upgrade to a 3.0, 3.0si or an M, don't wait too long. Life is too short to waste and Spring is coming. Here's to a summer of you and your spouse thoroughly enjoying whatever Z4 you decide is right for you both!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-02-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0