ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I bought an 06 M with 52k miles for $22.5k last year in Delaware. Thats a bit lower than you can count on, but if you're patient you can definitely find one for less than 25.

As far as the spotless maintenance goes, I think thats overrated. Sure its nice to have a perfect service record, and it I was going to drop $35k+ on a car with less than 20k miles, I would demand that as well. But if your choice is 3.0si with perfect maintenance history, or M with spotty (or missing) service history, I would definitely choose the M. But, I do almost all of the work on my cars, so I was prepared to deal with it if there were any issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

You can DEFINITELY get a Z4MR for less than $25k. Will also hold value much better as others have said mine is still worth pretty much what I paid for it almost 2 years later.

I had a 335i also and that was a nightmare as far as reliability. Night and day compared to the Z. Probably spent more time in loaners than I did in my car. Only thing I had to do on the Z is the soft top motor had to be replaced and I've owned it just about as long as the 335i. Also had a 128i for a while and had no issues at all with it either so I really think the 335i is just the bad apple of the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
How would you compare the driving "excitement" between the two? The S2000 is just a hoot to drive. They're off the charts on the fun scale in my opinion. I grew up driving a go-kart and that's what they remind me of.

But the Z4 is just a beautiful car. Every time I see one, I just drool over it. The other day my wife and I got passed by one that was being driven like it was supposed to be driven. It had just rained heavily and it blew by us doing about 90 mph, kicking up water. A gorgeous sight.
If all you want is pure adrenaline fun, the S2K is your car. If you want to be a little bit more practical, with an overall better daily driven type of car, the Z4 is your car. Of course I can't compare the two between a Z4M and an S2K, but I've driven an Z4M and it is a blast to drive, but totally different from an S2K. The S2K is balanced and agile, a bit underpowered maybe, but its a screaming crotch rocket. The Z4M has the power to scare you. If I was talking bikes, I'd say the S2k is a Yamaha R6 and the Z4M is a Hayabusa. Honestly if all you want is pure driving fun, the s2k is pretty hard to beat. The driver feel is unlike anything I've ever driven. You can really wring out all the power in the car and not feel like you're going to kill yourself. However, the Z4M is a beast. I do agree that the electric steering in the Si isn't the greatest in terms of feedback. It's not bad, but its nothing like the S2K. I assume the Z4m's hydraulic steering is much better. The Z4 is so much more comfortable to live with on a day to day basis though. I love the classic roadster proportions on both cars though. I also love how the Z4 top folds back clean into the back, the S2K looks a bit unfinished, and NO ONE uses the tonneau cover they provide. it is such a hassle to use.

The two cars are drastically different in character. In the end choose the one that suits your needs best. They are both very fun cars, and you won't go wrong with either. Notice how I've never even mentioned alternates like the G37, Audi TT, and Boxster...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Hey, I want to thank all of you for your input. Some great information.

This weekend my wife and I drove an M Roadster and a 3.0si back to back. Loved both of them. Had I just driven the 3.0si I would have been impressed and sold, but I also drove the M. Wow! What a car. My wife is a very good driver and fell in love with it, too. That's half the battle right there! No more like 90% of the battle! After driving the M she wouldn't even drive the 3.0si.

In conclusion, I'll be shopping for an M at a good price. Personally, I've gotta go with the Roadster over a coupe. Any "buying a used M" input is more than welcome. I appreciate what you guys have shared so far.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Hey, I want to thank all of you for your input. Some great information.

This weekend my wife and I drove an M Roadster and a 3.0si back to back. Loved both of them. Had I just driven the 3.0si I would have been impressed and sold, but I also drove the M. Wow! What a car. My wife is a very good driver and fell in love with it, too. That's half the battle right there! No more like 90% of the battle! After driving the M she wouldn't even drive the 3.0si.

In conclusion, I'll be shopping for an M at a good price. Personally, I've gotta go with the Roadster over a coupe. Any "buying a used M" input is more than welcome. I appreciate what you guys have shared so far.

Thanks.
Your experience mirrors mine. I liked the si until I drove the M. The steering just doesn't compare. I really like the si motor though. Tons of low down torque to work with. Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep

Very nice. I wish I could have picked up an M... =T Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #29
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Your experience mirrors mine. I liked the si until I drove the M. The steering just doesn't compare. I really like the si motor though. Tons of low down torque to work with. Good luck in your search.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
Very nice. I wish I could have picked up an M... =T Good luck with the search!
Thanks. You need to teach your wide how to drive a stick! Luckily my wife knew how.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

You may have your mind made up on an M, but just for a laugh, here is a review of the 3.0SI:

http://www.leducmotors.ca/en/road-te...ad-test/90628/

"The "si" designation represents the install of BMW's latest I-6: the 3.0-litre N52, featuring a lightweight magnesium block and BMW's latest Valvetronic, variable valve timing technology. Not only is this engine considerably more powerful than the standard Z4 3.0-litre mill, it provides much better mid-range response while improving cornering by lightening the load bore by the front wheels.

The N52 generates 255-horsepower @ 6,600-rpm and 220 pound-feet of torque @ just 2,750-rpm. That's 40 horsepower and 35 pounds of torque more than dispensed by the standard 3.0-litre engine; and what a difference it makes. Having driven the less powerful Z4 and been quite content with its gusto, I was absolutely elated burying my foot into the 3.0si. This engine pulls ferociously- especially on the highway where passing power is frankly startling."

Bear in mind that if the SI you drove had run flat tires, the steering and ride is vastly improved by simply installing conventional tires.

And the SI will be a lot better on gas too. Either way, you are going to get an ab-solutely great car. Good luck and be sure to post pics of the machine you get!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #32
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. You need to teach your wide how to drive a stick! Luckily my wife knew how.
I tried with both S2k's.
I was like
She took it as

I caved on the Z4. Happy wife =

Maybe after I get her a big honkin SUV I'll be able to trade in the Z4 for a Z4M...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
You may have your mind made up on an M, but just for a laugh, here is a review of the 3.0SI:

http://www.leducmotors.ca/en/road-te...ad-test/90628/

"The "si" designation represents the install of BMW's latest I-6: the 3.0-litre N52, featuring a lightweight magnesium block and BMW's latest Valvetronic, variable valve timing technology. Not only is this engine considerably more powerful than the standard Z4 3.0-litre mill, it provides much better mid-range response while improving cornering by lightening the load bore by the front wheels.

The N52 generates 255-horsepower @ 6,600-rpm and 220 pound-feet of torque @ just 2,750-rpm. That's 40 horsepower and 35 pounds of torque more than dispensed by the standard 3.0-litre engine; and what a difference it makes. Having driven the less powerful Z4 and been quite content with its gusto, I was absolutely elated burying my foot into the 3.0si. This engine pulls ferociously- especially on the highway where passing power is frankly startling."

Bear in mind that if the SI you drove had run flat tires, the steering and ride is vastly improved by simply installing conventional tires.

And the SI will be a lot better on gas too. Either way, you are going to get an ab-solutely great car. Good luck and be sure to post pics of the machine you get!!
Thanks. Like I said it's a fantastic car, but the M just stole my heart.

And one final note, I mentioned previously that I'm 6'5"; I seemed to have quite a bit more room in the M. I guess that can be attributed to the thinner backed sport seats. I was comfortable in the M, and felt a bit squeezed in the 3.0si.

Last edited by HEY32G; 06-25-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0