ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
JohnZ4greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 Black

Garage List
2007 z4 2.0lt  [7.00]
Wheel problem!!!

SORRY BUT MY ENGLISH ARE NOT VERY GOOD I WILL TRY TO EXPLAIN WHAT I THINK IS WRONG WITH MY CAR... I CHANGED MY WHEELS BEFORE 2 WEEKS I PUT (17'INC 225, 45) PREVIOUS I HAD THE STANDARD WHEELS 16'INC. AND KNOW I CAN FEEL EVERY deficiency of the road. the steering wheel follows the road, FOLLOWS THE CURVES. I DONT FEEL IT WELL... I HAVE TO PUT STRENGTH WHILE IM DRIVING. LIKE THE TRAIN FOLLOWS THE railway line. I DONT KNOW IF THE PROBLEM IS THE STERRING WHEEL OR THE WHEELS... I DONT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN TO YOU BETER...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
ROAD EAGLE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 530I

Garage List
2005 Z4  [0.00]
I have BMW's 107 Ellipsoid 18" wheels and I have the same issue, My guess that this is normal due to the size and weight of the wheel. But when put in sport mode it feels less.
      12-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
It is called tramlining and is very common, especially with run-flat tires. Changing your tires should help. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

i changed to my winter tires... and i still feel not much changes

is this normal richard? anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
AlterEgo
25 star General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

John, if you have RFTs then increase pressure to 38psi. See if this helps.

What about wheel alignment? Get it checked ASAP.
Professional SatNav; Heated/Folding/Auto Dimming Mirrors; Rear Park Distance Control; Heated Electric ///M Sports Seats with Memory; Bi-Xenon Headlamps; 18" 202 Ellipsoid Rims; Brushed Aluminium Trim; Black/Blue Individual Leather; Window Tint; Carver Audio; Paint Protection; Floor Mats; Storage; 6 Speed Automatic with Paddles; OziCozi
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

It's not just the runflat tires...it's the electric steering. You have no physical connection between the steering wheel and the tires...that's why you don't feel anything. The M's hydraulic steering allows for much more feedback.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
It's not just the runflat tires...it's the electric steering. You have no physical connection between the steering wheel and the tires...that's why you don't feel anything. The M's hydraulic steering allows for much more feedback.
Not correct. Electric steering is a means of "assist" as in the amount of effort required to turn the steering wheel, hydraulic does the same, a means of "assist", as it does with the brakes (hydraulic/power brakes), it does not add any "physical connection", that comes from the steering rack and the linkage back to the steering wheel which both models have. Electric steering has advantages 1.) it came be programmed to give the driver many levels of assist, 2.) it does not rob power from the engine (like the AC compressor).

Hydraulic has been around for many years and works, period. So many ask (enthusiasts) why change? Good question. Some cars are using electric water pumps for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

While I may have oversimplified the thing...if you look at the steering columns...you'll note the giant electric motor in one where there is none in the other. The electric motor is where all the feed back is lost.

Electric

Hydraulic

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
While I may have oversimplified the thing...if you look at the steering columns...you'll note the giant electric motor in one where there is none in the other. The electric motor is where all the feed back is lost.
The diagram for the hydraulic does not show the powersteering/hydraulic unit only shows the steering linkage. The hydraulic unit looks simular to the electric motor except its located at the bottom of the linkage at the steering rack. Think of electric steering as a electric motor with a worm gear attached to the steering linkage (nothing feeds through it), and the computer/ECU tells it how much to help you turn the wheel based on speed, rpm, etc. The hydraulic works on the same principal except its at the bottom, the linkage goes inside and the unit helps you turn the wheel by applying hydraulic fluid pressure. In both cases some of the road feel/vibration is absorbed into the electric and hydraulic units. But road feedback to the driver is more of a function of the suspension and lack of rubber parts which muffle what the car is doing. If you notice in write-ups about Porsches they all mention that they have the best road feel and feed back to the driver then any other car that is why. Electric steering is new technology much like drive-by-wire, the critics said there was no need for it, it didn't feel like a cable, etc., but nobody complains about it anymore.

Now if your talking recirculating ball vs rack and pinion, i would agree but thats another discussion...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
ROAD EAGLE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 530I

Garage List
2005 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEFOUR View Post
The diagram for the hydraulic does not show the powersteering/hydraulic unit only shows the steering linkage. The hydraulic unit looks simular to the electric motor except its located at the bottom of the linkage at the steering rack. Think of electric steering as a electric motor with a worm gear attached to the steering linkage (nothing feeds through it), and the computer/ECU tells it how much to help you turn the wheel based on speed, rpm, etc. The hydraulic works on the same principal except its at the bottom, the linkage goes inside and the unit helps you turn the wheel by applying hydraulic fluid pressure. In both cases some of the road feel/vibration is absorbed into the electric and hydraulic units. But road feedback to the driver is more of a function of the suspension and lack of rubber parts which muffle what the car is doing. If you notice in write-ups about Porsches they all mention that they have the best road feel and feed back to the driver then any other car that is why. Electric steering is new technology much like drive-by-wire, the critics said there was no need for it, it didn't feel like a cable, etc., but nobody complains about it anymore.

Now if your talking recirculating ball vs rack and pinion, i would agree but thats another discussion...
Ok great..so in final conclusion it's not a problem, it's something normal and it's not worth taking the car to the dealership for...Right?