ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Thinking about a move from LA to Seattle

Lately, my wife and I have been seriously considering a move to Seattle from LA, where we live now. I've been weighing the pros and cons in my mind and would love some input from fellow Zposters and car enthusiasts as I know there are large contingents of Z4M owners in both SoCal and the PNW.

LA's weather and its density and diversity of good food are probably second to none in the US. Being able to ride my motorcycle year round and stepping outside in January in a t-shirt and jeans has not gotten old and probably never will. I also appreciate the car culture here, and it's nice knowing that enthusiast shops/retailers like EAS and **********s are around.

However, we haven't loved the sprawl, the dust, the traffic, the expense, and how old and drab many parts of the city feels. I miss having a house with my own garage, which is hard to come by in a good neighborhood in the city. We eventually want to buy/build, and real estate in the places we'd want to live in LA is just not really affordable.

Seattle stands out as a city that is more green, more dense, and more affordable. It's gorgeous in the summer, and doesn't get unbearably on either temperature extreme. The fact that there is a very healthy job market, no state income tax, and legalized marijuana are all icing on the cake. My main reservation is the gloomy, wet months from October to March and, to a lesser extent, how much we will miss the food and culture of a bigger city like LA, Chicago, or New York (all places we've lived in the past). I've also heard a lot about the "Seattle freeze" and how it can make it difficult for transplants to make new friends.

Also, I noticed that most homes in the city of Seattle seem to only come with only one garage space. What's up with that?

Last edited by dekaliber; 09-07-2014 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

I just came back from my annual Seattle trip to visit family and I am in the same boat as you brotha! Seattle is a growing city that will eventually be as popular as SF IMO. Also don't forget that come January $15 minimum wage within the boundaries of Seattle. With no state income tax thats superb!
      09-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Wait, no state income tax? How is this possible? :-D

Good on ya for trying elsewhere, the more experiences, the richer your life.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
I just came back from my annual Seattle trip to visit family and I am in the same boat as you brotha! Seattle is a growing city that will eventually be as popular as SF IMO. Also don't forget that come January $15 minimum wage within the boundaries of Seattle. With no state income tax thats superb!
Sweet, a $15 minimum wage? 92 million Americans out of work as it is, that will guarantee many more added to that number.

I'd stay in Los Angeles OP. They're both liberal hell holes, but at least the weather in LA is nice and you won't want to kill yourself after a few months of dealing with nothing but rain in Seattle.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
All that means is that the cost of living will adjust accordingly (inflation). I'm sure everyone else in the wage category will get equivalent bumps. You'll find that it will cost you over $10 to get a burger in Seattle at MickyD pretty soon

The main thing, when it boils down to is that can someone deal with the wet weather most of the year? I believed Seattle average over 230 cloudy days per year! You will definitely live longer with better air quality, but do you want to, with all the gloom

Personally, I think you should move...we need more people out of LA

Last edited by XMetal; 09-07-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
keeton
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

You didn't say what part of LA you would be coming from. It is so spread out that different parts of L.A. county (and I'll throw Orange, San Bernadino and Ventura counties in as well) have very different vibes.

Even so, I have been to both areas many times in my business travels over the last decade and I would pick the Seattle area hands down. The January climate would go to LA for sure and if you find a hip vibe offensive you would probably do better elsewhere (hey, Alabama would be cheaper still). For everything else, Seattle trumps it. Get in before it gets even more expensive.

P.S. Have you considered Portland? If you don't like taxes, you could live/work in Vancouver, WA (no state income taxes) and shop right over the border in Oregon (no sales tax).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Over the last several years, I've lived in Encinitas (North County San Diego), Santa Monica, San Francisco and just recently moved back up to my hometown of Seattle. Honestly, I'm so happy that I did, precisely for the reasons in OP's post. I'm lucky enough to have family and lifelong friends in the area to help me get settled, which is also huge. But honestly, I wouldn't want to be back in California now. Been there, done that. It's pretty easy to hop on a plane and go visit SoCal for a weekend, too.

Seattle is amazing. And yes, I brought my M Coupe with me. Hope to see yours on the road here someday, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

Good on ya for trying elsewhere, the more experiences, the richer your life.
State, as in the state of washington. Federal taxes are still way up there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
You didn't say what part of LA you would be coming from. It is so spread out that different parts of L.A. county (and I'll throw Orange, San Bernadino and Ventura counties in as well) have very different vibes.
I live in Los Angeles, in the south park area downtown. Really like our place and how walkable it is. Not too crazy about the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
P.S. Have you considered Portland? If you don't like taxes, you could live/work in Vancouver, WA (no state income taxes) and shop right over the border in Oregon (no sales tax).
We did, but I don't think it's my crowd. We considered SF and San Diego too, but weren't keen on the rat race culture of SF and wasn't attracted to the vibe of San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

I grew up in NY and moved to Seattle 13 years ago. Love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else. There are always some cons, like the gloomy rainy winter, but that's rewarded with amazing summers. There's always places that are warmer and sunnier in the winter just a flight or drive away.

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I grew up in NY and moved to Seattle 13 years ago. Love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else. There are always some cons, like the gloomy rainy winter, but that's rewarded with amazing summers. There's always places that are warmer and sunnier in the winter just a flight or drive away.
This. My homes are here and Italy. That is all.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
I'm fortunate to have my home base in Seattle, and a second home in San Antonio - in summers, I spend more time in Seattle, and winters vice versa.
I spend about a week a month in downtown Chicago for business - fantastic city, but really brutal winters -- will never be a permanent option for me.
I lived in the SF valley for a few years -- besides the weather, everything else sucked - no comparo to Seattle.
If money and business logistics was not an issue, I think Santa Barbara would be my ideal!
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Liquor tax, gas tax, sales tax, property tax. All extreme. However, moved here in 1965. Not sure I would want to live anywhere else.