ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
dragonfire6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i w/Premium Pkg

Looking at a 3.0i with a rebuilt title... Advice please!

So, I have found a 2003 3.0i with a rebuilt title. It was involved in a front-end collision and repaired over 10k miles ago. The owner says the car runs great and everything works perfectly. It has 82K miles and I have not seen the car in person but I will be making the drive before the end of the week. The main selling point here is the price which is only $6k. The owner was in a motorcycle accident and needs the cash badly + the rebuilt title = very enticing price.

I am on the fence about the car right now. I know the resale will be hurt being a rebuilt car but I think at $6k, I'll be alright when/if I decide to sell anyway. So saying the car checks out, drives great and looks well kept, what else should I be concerned with? Would you buy it?

Here's the ad: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4663640630.html

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

That grill looks different. Bumper as well... Makes me wonder what else is different inside.

Was there any damage to the engine? I'm assuming the frame was damaged if it was salvaged? Who did the repairs?

The price definitely is enticing, but there's always the risk of the thing giving you a lot of headache down the road....On the otherhand, it could be great. Always a dice throw in these situations...

I recommend getting an independent evaluation done by a third party mechanic - costs about 100-150 bucks. They can tell you what exactly is wrong. Small price to pay for a bit more peace of mind.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire6 View Post
So, I have found a 2003 3.0i with a rebuilt title. It was involved in a front-end collision and repaired over 10k miles ago. The owner says the car runs great and everything works perfectly. It has 82K miles and I have not seen the car in person but I will be making the drive before the end of the week. The main selling point here is the price which is only $6k. The owner was in a motorcycle accident and needs the cash badly + the rebuilt title = very enticing price.

I am on the fence about the car right now. I know the resale will be hurt being a rebuilt car but I think at $6k, I'll be alright when/if I decide to sell anyway. So saying the car checks out, drives great and looks well kept, what else should I be concerned with? Would you buy it?

Here's the ad: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4663640630.html

Thanks in advance,
Chris
assuming everything checks out, always buy a salvage title car if you plan on driving it to the ground. Ask for pre-repair pictures. I learned my lesson after buying a salvage title mustang senior year in high school.

Good luck

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I notice you said "Rebuilt Title" Is that the same as a salvage? Salvage would mean the car was totaled by an insurance company and sent to a salvage yard where it was bought on salvage title. I would think that means it was bent so out of shape that it would never drive the same.
If a "Repair Title" is different it may not have been that bad and just had body panels replaced.
Either way, take it to a good shop and have them check the wheel alignment and camber, if they are out of alignment and can not be brought back in, dont buy it.
      09-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
dragonfire6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i w/Premium Pkg

The owner of the car was not being straight up with me or did not know but I pulled the autocheck on the car and the mileage did not match up so I'm passing on this one... Thanks for the advice, the search continues...

I WILL be posting pictures of my new-to-me Z4... some day...
Appreciate 0