ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #45
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
You've previously said to me: "Your numbers are meaningless" because OBD datalogging produces time-stamped data at just over 0.5 secs intervals for 4 PIDs.
YOUR shitty datalogger samples at that rate, I have one that measures much faster than that, as well as OEM stuff that measures even faster than that (but doesn't graph). If you had a different attitude I might have taken a couple hours out of my day to reinstall the logger and graph it, but I have no desire to do your bidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I give up. You're obviously more interested in talking about the particulars of my completely made up example, rather than understanding the underlying point I was trying to make.

O-cha, if your'e still around, how do the ITBs fit into all of this?
What about them? They are all locked in synch and they don't really oscillate at all. The logic I know of that ignores the foot pedal is on sharp throttle closings, in gear, the ECU will buffer the closing to protect the connecting rods. Then also what exodus thinks for no real reason but is true, that the throttle will begin to close before the limiter in anticipation.

What most people feel though is just torque falling off, that's just the dynamics of nearly every engine out there. Doesn't mean you should shift though. S54s rev-limiter on every shift, if it's something like a 335 where torque falls on it's face there is an advantage in later gears to shifting before the limiter.

Last edited by O-cha; 04-29-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have simply found ways of achieving this using well known "science".
Fixed.
      05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #47
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Use a universally-accepted/well-known datalogging software suite and recheck your numbers. Then we can all believe your claims.
Which datalogging suite is universally accepted? Can you recommend one?

In the past, I've tried many different laptop applications with ELM327 and OBDII interface and establishing permanent connectivity is a real problem with many of these applications.

The DashDyno doesn't suffer from connectivity problems.

The problem of all OBDII datalogging appears to be that the sampling rate is limited by the ECU of the vehicle rather than datalogging software/DashDyno. I've found that the sampling rate from BMW vehicles is less than that of, say, Ford or Citroen, therefore the sampling rate is limited by the vehicle manufacturer. I would like to know if anyone has discovered a way of OBDII datalogging a BMW vehicle with a sampling rate of greater than 8 samples per second of a single PID?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #48
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
YOUR shitty datalogger samples at that rate, I have one that measures much faster than that, as well as OEM stuff that measures even faster than that (but doesn't graph).
Which datalogging equipment do you use? Please can you give any useful links to this? Does your equipment datalog OEM PIDs or does it require the installation of individual monitoring devices?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #49
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I've never done research on dataloggers, but I'm sure plenty of guys can chime in and provide you with recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #50
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Which datalogging equipment do you use? Please can you give any useful links to this? Does your equipment datalog OEM PIDs or does it require the installation of individual monitoring devices?
Oem stuff, but autoengenuity or bavarian technic would do much better for you.
      05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #51
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I recommend you get DSS running with bmtechnic, which will allow you to Test your Vanos.

For datalogging, I've been meaning to try bmwlogger 2, now that I have the cable from bm technic.
      05-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #52
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Oem stuff, but autoengenuity or bavarian technic would do much better for you.
I've taken a look at the Autoenginuity website and this is what it says in the FAQs:
"What update rates can I expect?

The biggest variable in this answer is the vehicle. Older cars will do between 4 - 6Hz with generic OBDII. With enhanced protocols it's usually much faster. Later model vehicles that use CAN will show between 6 - 16Hz with generic OBDII. Obviously, enhanced coverage will usually be faster as the proprietary protocols used by vehicle manufacturers allow for multiplexing and broadcast modes not supported by generic OBDII."

Likewise, when I looked up "Bavarian Technic" I came across a thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=30 where it says that even for the later BMW E90 the sampling rate is only 10Hz with that software.

With the DashDyno or the PC version (Auterra Dyno Scan) set up using CAN protocol via OBDII my Z4MC will only sample at 7Hz (140 milliseconds intervals). As I've said before the limitation of OBDII datalogging appears to be the sampling rate which is determined by the manufacturer, and Autoenginuity confirms this, and in the case of BMW cars, the Auterra software obtains one of the lowest sampling rates when compared to the results from the cars of other manufacturers. What sampling rates do you get from the Bavarian Technic and Autoenginuity software specifically for the Z4MC? Any examples to share?

Last edited by exdos; 05-05-2013 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #53
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
For datalogging, I've been meaning to try bmwlogger 2, now that I have the cable from bm technic.
That's one of the few datalogging applications I've seen for Mac. I'll give that a try if it will connect with the hardware that I have.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #54
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've taken a look at the Autoenginuity website and this is what it says in the FAQs:
"What update rates can I expect?

The biggest variable in this answer is the vehicle. Older cars will do between 4 - 6Hz with generic OBDII. With enhanced protocols it's usually much faster. Later model vehicles that use CAN will show between 6 - 16Hz with generic OBDII. Obviously, enhanced coverage will usually be faster as the proprietary protocols used by vehicle manufacturers allow for multiplexing and broadcast modes not supported by generic OBDII."

Likewise, when I looked up "Bavarian Technic" I came across a thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=30 where it says that even for the later BMW E90 the sampling rate is only 10Hz with that software.

With the DashDyno or the PC version (Auterra Dyno Scan) set up using CAN protocol via OBDII my Z4MC will only sample at 7Hz (140 milliseconds intervals). As I've said before the limitation of OBDII datalogging appears to be the sampling rate which is determined by the manufacturer, and Autoenginuity confirms this, and in the case of BMW cars, the Auterra software obtains one of the lowest sampling rates when compared to the results from the cars of other manufacturers. What sampling rates do you get from the Bavarian Technic and Autoenginuity software specifically for the Z4MC? Any examples to share?
Read what you quoted then read what I wrote, then what you quoted then what I wrote. Then realize I don't really like you and have no intention of helping you. I've already given you the answers you need.
      05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #55
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Read what you quoted then read what I wrote, then what you quoted then what I wrote. Then realize I don't really like you and have no intention of helping you. I've already given you the answers you need.
You've been unable to prove anything you've said from the outset despite you acknowledging that what I said in my first post is true, so you've just turned it into something personal against me throughout. That's no problem to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #56
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You've been unable to prove anything you've said from the outset despite you acknowledging that what I said in my first post is true, so you've just turned it into something personal against me throughout. That's no problem to me.
If that's how you want to see it.
      05-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #57
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso
I usually shift at around 7500 anyway, I don't think there's a lot of advantage shifting above there, and apparently the high RPM's is what kills the rod bearings.
The S54 is roaring up there at 7500 anyways.
Plus it's topping out on the power curve. After that ~ 7700 level, it becomes the "denouement" ...
Pushing to 7900-8000 revs for eking out all vestiges of hp? ...the power incline is done at that point.
I did the Italian tuneup Sat with my wife in the car, and at that level near redline it's nuts (in a good way/ the sound is ripping as is the urgency) but where to shift, 7500, 7700, 8000 -- it's splitting hairs.
Of course I'm on the street not a track.
Appreciate 0