ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
APEX direct or VAC motorsports

Both have APEX wheels - VAC has a combo pkg for M's at $1239.00

Which dealer have folks found easier to deal with - my shipping will add another $50 - $75 per wheel
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
As much as I love Apex wheels, if you don't get them on the GB pricing, it's not worth it. Just beacuse the GB pricing actually gives a good discount, free shipping and they pop up often enough. Else you pay $100 for shipping from Apex so I'd say go with whoever's cheapest shipping wise...

I will say though Apex's inventory will be really low given they just finished their GB so they might not have all the finishes you want. I just went through this same dilemna and instead went with a total different wheel, but also affordable and trackworthy. I ended up saving $200 .
      03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Depends, are you looking at Arc8s or EC7s? The EC7s are on GB now (check out the Sponsored Classified section) so if you get in early enough, you should have a selection of whatever you want AND you could save $200 on the price if enough sign up plus free shipping.

I would agree that if its the ARC8s you want, selection might be slimmer as they just finished that GB.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Vac has been a little frustrating to deal with about getting my headers (they got here today when they said it would be next day when I ordered them 2 weeks ago)...I've heard plenty more about annoying customer service...they are great when you get them on the phone which always takes more than one try, but then the forget about you as soon as you are off the phone....I'm sure being local would be much easier if that's the case

My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
ALternate

I will say though Apex's inventory will be really low given they just finished their GB so they might not have all the finishes you want. I just went through this same dilemna and instead went with a total different wheel, but also affordable and trackworthy. I ended up saving $200 .[/QUOTE]

What wheels did you end up with??
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

APEX gets my vote. I've tried to order stuff through VAC (my Stromungs iirc) and they wouldn't ship anywhere but my credit card billing address which is a few thousand miles north of my car. APEX was also concerned with the address difference but worked with me on it and had my wheels shipped asap. Also, APEX's overall customer service from wheels to lug studs etc questions has been excellent.
      03-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Spreadsheet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
APEX gets my vote. I've tried to order stuff through VAC (my Stromungs iirc) and they wouldn't ship anywhere but my credit card billing address which is a few thousand miles north of my car. APEX was also concerned with the address difference but worked with me on it and had my wheels shipped asap. Also, APEX's overall customer service from wheels to lug studs etc questions has been excellent.
I have had good experiences with VAC, including ordering my square 18x9.5x32mm setup of APEX wheels from them. I had called both APEX directly and then VAC, went the VAC route as I got more diffinative information concerning the the square set up for Z4MC from them. Plus I ordered during a 10% discount weekend. I even had a billing issue with them, was able to resolve it over the phone, got the credit I was due, took a little bit of time, but was resolved to my satisfaction. I've ordered from them after that issue and have had nothing but good transactions. Sorry yours were not the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadsheet View Post
I have had good experiences with VAC, including ordering my square 18x9.5x32mm setup of APEX wheels from them. I had called both APEX directly and then VAC, went the VAC route as I got more diffinative information concerning the the square set up for Z4MC from them. Plus I ordered during a 10% discount weekend. I even had a billing issue with them, was able to resolve it over the phone, got the credit I was due, took a little bit of time, but was resolved to my satisfaction. I've ordered from them after that issue and have had nothing but good transactions. Sorry yours were not the same.
My experience with VAC wasn't necessarily bad. Just not good. Since I often ship things to my different addresses I run into the problem a lot. Some companies are willing to let me prove that the place I'm shipping is also a valid address and they make the sale. Some are not willing, though. VAC was particularly rigid on their policy, which is good for credit card security both for most customers and for them. However, it is very easy for me to prove that my address are places I live if a company will allow me to, as APEX did.
      03-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 6.0

Just got a set of 18x11 EC-7 sent USA to Australia in 5 days, big tick for Joe and gang from Apex. however one of my wheels was out of balance by nearly 200gms the other 3 were only 20gms. But would defiantly buy direct again.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsz4 View Post
Just got a set of 18x11 EC-7 sent USA to Australia in 5 days, big tick for Joe and gang from Apex. however one of my wheels was out of balance by nearly 200gms the other 3 were only 20gms. But would defiantly buy direct again.
Did you find that out when balancing the tires or did you spin the wheels themselves and/or does balancing the wheels fix this problem ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 6.0

noticed when we put the tyres on ,removed the tyre and spun the rim to make sure it wasn't the tyre , it wasn't the tyre.
Can't tell you if its noticeable car doesn't have an engine at the moment.
There are also some noticeable imperfections under the paintwork this doesn't bother me as they are cheap and used for a race car. Might annoy someone expecting high quality stuff though.
Appreciate 0