ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Roadster Headliner

Anyone have any experience with purchasing a replacement. OEM Dealership is pretty expensive, so I was looking at options. but all these places offering headliners (such as autotopsdirect) have brutal reviews online.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

By "brutal" do you mean bad?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Wow - they do suck. How about these guys:

https://www.topsonline.com/testimonial

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Checking them now. So far can't find anything negative about them.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I installed the Sierra top and headliner from AutoTopsDirect, BUT I bought through their Amazon store front to ensure I got Amazons customer protections. No issues with delivery or quality of the product. Installed it in December 2015, still looks good and no problems so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Convertible-H...RGQT6JWRB1BQK5
SaltyNC367.50
      08-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Seems hit and miss when searching for headliners. I'm going to assume there's a lot less risk with the headliner replacements versus a complete top replacement as it's a lot simpler.

Some offer OEM fabrics as well as aftermarket fabrics that are similar but also almost half the price. Just asking some questions about that now to one of the manufacturers to see what that REALLY means. Sometimes OEM materials are premium costs for no significant reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Seems hit and miss when searching for headliners. I'm going to assume there's a lot less risk with the headliner replacements versus a complete top replacement as it's a lot simpler.

Some offer OEM fabrics as well as aftermarket fabrics that are similar but also almost half the price. Just asking some questions about that now to one of the manufacturers to see what that REALLY means. Sometimes OEM materials are premium costs for no significant reason.
Here's the link for the headliner. Accidentally posted the link for the top in the earlier response. Both are a bit of a pain to install, but the headliner is a bit easier. Pay particular attention to the routing of the straps that hold it in the rear as you need to get the new ones routed the same to assure it folds with the top correctly. The middle section attached to the B pillar part of the top is pop riveted to the top frame so you have to unfasten the rear part of the headliner to get access to drill out the rivets.
Regardless of who you buy the headliner from, buy the BMW headliner fastener kit. The headliner has a qazillion little torx head screws that hold it in place and every single one of them is needed. If you drop one and lose it (and you will) you can't find them anywhere individually, so you still have to buy the kit and then you're stuck with the car torn apart waiting for the kit to arrive.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/54347110761/

https://www.amazon.com/Headliner-Con...006%3Abmw%3Az4
SaltyNC367.50
      08-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Topsonline.com has a non-OEM material replacement that they are stating is identical in performance and durability. Only difference is color and the type of material. Cost is $180 versus $280 for the OEM material versus I believe it was $700+ at the dealership.

Thanks for the link on the bits and pieces. That will come in handy
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Topsonline.com has a non-OEM material replacement that they are stating is identical in performance and durability. Only difference is color and the type of material. Cost is $180 versus $280 for the OEM material versus I believe it was $700+ at the dealership.

Thanks for the link on the bits and pieces. That will come in handy
I think the key think I'd look at in headliners is the quality/thickness of the foam backing. It's both sound attenuator and insulation and if it's not good at either the interior noise level will be higher and you'll be getting cooked from up top as the same time. Note that I'm not saying the $180 one is worse because it's cheaper, just a generic comment on what I'd look for regardless of price point.

On the head liner install kit, you may find it a bit cheaper elsewhere. I posted the ECS link because they had great pics of the contents.