ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Front Bumper, Repair or Replace?

Good morning and happy Easter all,

I'm sitting in the ER waiting for friend while pondering the meaning of life. ;-)

Last October I purchased a 2003 E85 for $5k. Since then, I've replaced the thermostat, e-box fan, a few hoses, and have made a few other mods.

The last big thing to tackle is the non-op convertible top, but before I do I wanted to address the front bumper which, until yesterday, I didn't realize was partially held on by wood screws/nails (I know, a pre-purchase inspection would have saved me some of these frustrations...).

In any case, I would like to ask your opinions on replacing vs. repairing my front bumper? Keeping in mind I don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to cringe everytime I walk up on my Z4.

Can I get away with a "bumper refresh" from a body shop? Does anyone have experience with the Duraflex front lip (does it slip over the bottom of the bumper)? Should I bite the bullet and get a new bumper? A post-facelift upgrade? Is there any experience with the VFiber brand sold by Andy's Auto?

I've attached a picture of the bumper as it sits. Can it be saved?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

If you are just looking to cover up the lower bumper damages the duraflex lip slips over that area and fully covers it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Failing the duraflex, a body shop could make that bumper look spanking new with ease

Last edited by Vanne; 04-19-2017 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Just had this contemplation myself, went and did it!

To fix the bumper alone you'd be looking at $500 - 1,000 depending on the shop. Problem is that only doing the bumper may end up in a mismatch of color to the hood and fenders. The proper way would be to fix the bumper and 'blend' into the the fenders and hood. this would run $1000 - 1800 depending on the shop.

IMHO Get the bumper fixed, its got a lot of road rash. You could save money knowing you'll get a lip to cover the damage but you'll always know its there. Fix the bumper, get a new kidney grill (I see a tooth is broken) and then get a lip you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your feedback everyone, this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for!

Sounds like the bumper isn't a lost cause and I should get it repaired. I found a body shop here in So. Cal with pretty good reviews on Yelp...I think I'm going to roll the dice with them and hope they do good work.

3GFX, good eye on the grille...I had even taken the damn things off to wrap the edges in blackout tape and didn't notice. I placed an order for a replacement matte black set already.

Finally, with the Duraflex lip, how do you secure it on the car? Do you drill it into the bottom of the bumper? Is it pretty easy to attach? Also, silly question, but what is the difference between a "lip" and a "splitter"?

Before dropping it off at the shop in the next few weeks, I'll be sure to take some pics and post the before/after on this thread. :-)

Last edited by wiliulfo; 04-22-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

That lip slides on and fastens at the outside edges at the bottom of the bumper at the edge of the wheel well.

Suggestion...get the lip done the same time as the bumper at the same time to ensure they match.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
... To fix the bumper alone you'd be looking at $500 - 1,000 depending on the shop. ...
Isn't a new bumper cover about $600?
      04-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Also noticed the bumper behind the bumper is silver. Did the car get resprayed once already? I would suggest to paint that black (even plastidip) while your bumper is off getting repaired (unless they don't take it off the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Isn't a new bumper cover about $600?
Cover? We're talking about just fix and respray here no?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I just replaced my front bumper cover (Z4M).

If you buy a new OEM piece, then the cost is around $650 not including shipping. Shipping for me was $225.00.
Then the cost of having it painted. Painting was $400.00 but I had new headlight washer covers and bumper reflectors (both fronts and rears) painted also.

That piece behind the lower lip is the lower mesh and it a pain to get off without damage and again to get back on. I was replacing mine.

A repair may me more money in the long run depending one how much time the tech's have to spend repairing the existing bumper cover.

This is were you really do NOT want to skim and just go with the lowest price. Ask around your local expensive car repair shops on who they recommend... I would not trust reviews from Yelp, at least for this.

You can save some money buy removing the the bumper cover yourself and taking it into the shop.

Then after all this is done, allocate another $600+ for a 'ClearBra' (generic term). It will be the best money you can spend on your car..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep

That piece behind the lower lip is the lower mesh and it a pain to get off without damage and again to get back on. I was replacing mine.[/QUOTE]

Shipkiller, I'll be ordering the lower grille from ECS Tuning shortly but it appears that the fasteners don't come with the grille.

With that being said, do you happen to know the type and quantity of fasteners I'll need?

Looking at my ride, I noticed that the PO literally fastened the grille on with snipped and twisted pieces of a coat hanger.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No fasteners needed for the lower mesh.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the feedback!

For now, I decided to go with a bumper repair & spray along with a new lower mesh grille. I didn't expect perfection, but for $250 (excluding the grilles) I think the shop I took it to did one heck of a job...I just need to pop in the matte black kidney grilles now.

In the near future, I hope to add a Duraflex lip which I'm thinking of keeping black for the contrast.

But, before I do that I have a new-ish convertible top I'm planning on swapping in this weekend.

Thanks again!
~will
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok,

Now that your front is pristine, why don't you go the last mile and ensure it stays that way.

Have a 'Clear Bra' put on. It is worth the cost. Probably the best money you can spend on appearance items for the car.

I just replaced my front bumper cover, and just had the Clear Bra put on this past weekend. This is my third bra.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

How long after a paint job should you wait before getting a clear bra?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliulfo View Post
Thank you for all the feedback!

For now, I decided to go with a bumper repair & spray along with a new lower mesh grille. I didn't expect perfection, but for $250 (excluding the grilles) I think the shop I took it to did one heck of a job...I just need to pop in the matte black kidney grilles now.

In the near future, I hope to add a Duraflex lip which I'm thinking of keeping black for the contrast.

But, before I do that I have a new-ish convertible top I'm planning on swapping in this weekend.

Thanks again!
~will
$250?! you got a killer deal on that, I don't think anyone around here would touch it for less than $500
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
How long after a paint job should you wait before getting a clear bra?

Steve
If it was baked properly then 2 week should be fine but I would still wait 4 just to be safe. Parking it out in the sun should help.
      07-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #17
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Damn, that was a good deal..

I just had to rebuild the front of my ///M (track issue) and I paid $650 for the bumper cover + $225 for shipping...

Repair part costs for these cars have gone up 150%....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. Like I mentioned in the original post, I'm ballin' on a budget with this car. Paid $5k and the wife would KILL me if I put another $5k in repairs.

So, even though it may not be perfect (for example the paint blending discussed above) I'm happy with what I got for $250.

BTW, for anyone in So. Cal, I would certainly recommend Diego and Jin at OC Collision & Glass in Fullerton.

~will
Appreciate 0