ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2024, 06:20 PM   #1
fabs
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4

Help: salvage inspection!

Hi everyone, this is a general post not specific to Z4s but I’m gonna post this to multiple forums. I’m located in New Jersey and recently picked up a salvage Z4 for cheap and am currently rebuilding it. I hate going to the DMV for normal stuff so I really want to make sure I have everything in order when I go for salvage inspection!
I have a Pennsylvania salvage title, and work orders and receipts for all parts with VIN numbers.
The reason for this post is to ask if I need a NJ salvage title or if the PA one is ok. Also if there is any other document I need to get and bring. I’ve seen “insurance list of damage” thrown around but I don’t think I could get that since I bought from Copart and not a private seller. If anyone works in the DMV or has gone thru the process and would like to lend a hand I would greatly appreciate it🙏.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
I bought a salvage-titled 2006 Z4 from NJ in 2022 with the intent to fix and flip (I'm in VA). From my experience, salvage titles come in 2 flavors, 1) salvage & inoperable, and 2) salvage and operable. The former is what basically will come with the car when you buy it after the insurance deems it salvage. It basically just says that you own this pile of metal but can't drive it. If you perform the necessary "safety" repairs, you would then get it inspected and can file for the salvage & operable title. My understanding from all the research I did at the time, states don't honor the salvage inspection from other states because each has their own "safety" requirements. In other words, you will need to have the car inspected by the NJ DMV after you perform repairs.

My advice is to speak to a local body shop to see if they can perform an assessment and can tell you exactly what is needed to meet the minimum safety requirements for the inspection. No sense in spending $$$$ on body panel repairs and other cosmetic parts before you can get it inspected to be road-worthy.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0