ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe, '14 X1

Bay Area PPI recommendations?

Hey guys,

I think I found the Z that I've been searching for and want to make sure everything is all peachy. Any recommendations for an indy BMW shop for a PPI on the Peninsula (San Mateo area) or SF? Preferably somewhere where you guys personally take your moupes to.

I was thinking Edge Motorworks in Mountain View. Anywhere else?

Last edited by flicky; 06-02-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Performance Technique
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Zeta Macchina
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i roadster

Phaedrus. In the City (Jackson St.)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys! I heard some mixed things about phaedrus though...do you think they know the m coupe well enough to know common issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
A little further down the road, but these two shops are outstanding and have serious BMW knowledge, racing history and customer backing. My PPI was done at Bavarian, extremely thorough.

Bavarian Motorsport - Milpitas
Rennwerks Performance - Campbell
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

^
Edge, Bavarian, Alekshop in South Bay.

P-Tech in East Bay.

No experience in the North Bay unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Bavarian Motorsports. Ask for Ramon LeFrancois.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the recommendations guys...unfortunately, I didn't end up getting the car or the PPI. I didn't do my research thoroughly enough and found out that this car's title still had a lien on it. I think they're usually more hassle than it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
joedyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 e89 35i

Edge is good. I've used Dinan in Mountain View with nice success....

Joe
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

I decided to deal with the title lien issues and get the PPI. Ended up going to Bavarian Motorsports since they had a last minute appnmt spot available. So-so experience. Asked for Ramon to do the PPI, but when I called afterwards, he didn't seem to know much about the car. Otherwise, the PPI was a bit cheaper than other specialty indy shops, so I guess that was good.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicky View Post
I decided to deal with the title lien issues and get the PPI. Ended up going to Bavarian Motorsports since they had a last minute appnmt spot available. So-so experience. Asked for Ramon to do the PPI, but when I called afterwards, he didn't seem to know much about the car. Otherwise, the PPI was a bit cheaper than other specialty indy shops, so I guess that was good.
More importantly, were they able to provide adequate checkover of the car? Do you feel that it was worth the cost? (of course, try to be as unbiased as possible )
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think adequate is the right word to describe it. There really wasn't anything to rave about and Ramon definitely didn't seem to know too much about the car--he had to go talk to the technician about it for a minute to answer my questions. I've definitely had a better PPI experience with the other m coupes I've looked at. Didn't get that tremendous boost of confidence I was looking for since I'm not too mechanically inclined just yet (hopefully about to change soon).

Nonetheless, I ended up buying the car an hour ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I think adequate is the right word to describe it. There really wasn't anything to rave about and Ramon definitely didn't seem to know too much about the car--he had to go talk to the technician about it for a minute to answer my questions. I've definitely had a better PPI experience with the other m coupes I've looked at.
Congrats on the car! FYI, Ramon and Nicole run the shop but they do rely on a highly skilled staff to complete the majority of the work. Hence, he will defer to the person who actually inspected the car (fair enough). The shop can come off a bit unfriendly at first, but they know their Bimmers and most customers by first name.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Grats on the purchase! Sometimes (rarely, but it does happen on occasion), it seems like the local enthusiasts--whenever we USED to meet up--would actually know more about our cars than the shop techs
Another reason to hunt for info on these forums
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I think adequate is the right word to describe it. There really wasn't anything to rave about and Ramon definitely didn't seem to know too much about the car--he had to go talk to the technician about it for a minute to answer my questions. I've definitely had a better PPI experience with the other m coupes I've looked at. Didn't get that tremendous boost of confidence I was looking for since I'm not too mechanically inclined just yet (hopefully about to change soon).

Nonetheless, I ended up buying the car an hour ago.
Congrats on the car. I echo the other poster's sentiment, that often times the owners of the shop don't actually perform the work, even though they're very capable to do so.

A good, hardworking, HONEST mechanic is hard to find. Ramon is one. At least, that's been the universally, unsolicited feedback I've gotten about him.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:47 AM   #16
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
A good, hardworking, HONEST mechanic is hard to find. Ramon is one. At least, that's been the universally, unsolicited feedback I've gotten about him.
That's what everyone's saying about him and his shop too. Like I said, I'm sure the shop did what they needed to do for the PPI. As someone who's not too mechanically inclined (yet!), I personally would have loved to have spoken in a lot more detail with the mechanic who actually worked on the car to give me that extra peace of mind/boost of confidence after a PPI.

I don't want this thread to turn into a knock against Bavarian Motorsports. The overwhelmingly positive feedback about the shop is definitely well documented on the forum and on yelp. Just giving my $.02 as a person who was looking for a lot more reassurance from the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

No matter the case, you provided an unbiased feedback about your personal hands-on experience, which is always appreciated

Often times, shops get talked up so much that sometimes I question if it's BS
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #18
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Just giving my $.02 as a person who was looking for a lot more reassurance from the process.
That's perfectly understandable. I'm also just giving my $0.02. Probably should have given you the "magic keyword" before you asked to talk to Ramon...

There are a certain set of keywords that triggers a more favorable treatment, from just about anybody. Ramon's keywords are:

"My instructor with BMW CCA," "club racer friend," and "race car."

Figure out how to use all three phrases in a sentence in Ramon's presence and watch his ear perk up...Or maybe he'll launch into a diatribe. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There are a certain set of keywords that triggers a more favorable treatment, from just about anybody. Ramon's keywords are:

"My instructor with BMW CCA," "club racer friend," and "race car."
Haha--I'll be sure to use that with every indy shop from now on
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I actually had a similar 2-star experience with Bavarian in the past when I had the 3.0i sport. I had brought the car in to find a whistle/vacuum leak. They couldn't find it, which isn't a big deal to me, but dude was seriously rushing me out of there. IIRC it was a Friday and he was probably anxious to start his weekend like we all are, but it was a far cry from the warm and fuzzy attention other reviewers described

Also stay away from BR Performance is Los Gatos. Went in for Inspection 2 a few years ago, and they forgot to put one of my strut braces back on (and who knows what else...). I went back to get it, and they had an annoyed tone as if it were my fault they fucked up

Been 100% DIY since and couldn't be happier with the level of service I receive
Appreciate 0