ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Question from manual again.

When coming to a stop, is it bad to hold the clutch all the way down and light press on the brake til complete stop, then pop it into N, or should I first pop it into N?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

If I see a stop light ahead, I typically coast in gear until I need to start braking, at which point I clutch in, brake, and shift into N all about the same time. My clutch doesn't stay depressed for longer than the half second it takes to shift into N.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
Virginia Bill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 auto Maldive Blue

Depressing the clutch doesn't hurt it. That's what the clutch is for. When approaching a possible stop I brake first, thus using a little engine braking; I may even downshift for more engine braking. And I leave the shift lever in place until I'm sure I won't want to accelerate. Only then will I move the lever to neutral and take my foot off the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #26
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I, too, usually move to neutral. This answer depends on what part of the world you are from though. In the UK they are taught at each stop they have to pull the ebrake (after stopped), the pedal brake is not good enough. As it was explained to me it is to minimize forward motion should you get rear ended... didn't make much sense to me.

I don't ever use the ebrake unless on an incline. I brake in neutral, although some will say not to in case your brakes go out you still want to be able to stop, that is a very rare occurance and I would not worry about it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Yeah i agree with Hawkeye about the U.K. We're taught at every stop apply the handbrake (ebrake) ONLY..... NO FOOTBRAKE and in neutral and wheels in the direct ahead position (if your wheels are already turned to make a turn and your rear ended you will shunted into oncoming traffic). I got a ticking off from my driving instructor for doing the above AND sitting with my foot ON the footbrake, i explained if i'm rearended most likely the rear off the car will lift and being the rear axle is the handbraked end, nothing will be left to stop the car traveling forward. Basically i was told to shut up and he's the "expert".
In my opinion NEVER knock it out of gear and coast to a stop. Brake first still in gear and before coming to a complete stop, clutch in. Coasting at any speed relies just on the cars brakes to slow and stop its entire weight. Slowing and stopping the car when in gear, uses the natural engine brake, resistance of the transmission and rear axel to help the process. In traffic look at everyones road manners, anticipate the road ahead,if you see a brake light ahead lift off the gas, use the engine brake, even come down the gears if the situation allows.
The above is MY opinion, i aint preaching. Anybody that has a license from whatever country has passed that countries criteria and can drive legally.

jnkhan82, pm me the next time your off, i will see if we can meet up, wanna see you car anyhow, sounds the twin off mine lol. No word on the plates???
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
Yeah i agree with Hawkeye about the U.K. We're taught at every stop apply the handbrake (ebrake) ONLY..... NO FOOTBRAKE and in neutral and wheels in the direct ahead position (if your wheels are already turned to make a turn and your rear ended you will shunted into oncoming traffic). I got a ticking off from my driving instructor for doing the above AND sitting with my foot ON the footbrake, i explained if i'm rearended most likely the rear off the car will lift and being the rear axle is the handbraked end, nothing will be left to stop the car traveling forward. Basically i was told to shut up and he's the "expert".
In my opinion NEVER knock it out of gear and coast to a stop. Brake first still in gear and before coming to a complete stop, clutch in. Coasting at any speed relies just on the cars brakes to slow and stop its entire weight. Slowing and stopping the car when in gear, uses the natural engine brake, resistance of the transmission and rear axel to help the process. In traffic look at everyones road manners, anticipate the road ahead,if you see a brake light ahead lift off the gas, use the engine brake, even come down the gears if the situation allows.
The above is MY opinion, i aint preaching. Anybody that has a license from whatever country has passed that countries criteria and can drive legally.

jnkhan82, pm me the next time your off, i will see if we can meet up, wanna see you car anyhow, sounds the twin off mine lol. No word on the plates???
I agree with all of that - plus I have two things to add.

First, I was always taught to use the foot brake only while the car is in motion. The emergency brake or hand brake as some call it, was reserved for use when one parks the car.

Second, its darn good practice to keep your wheels pointing straight while stopped waiting to make a turn across oncoming traffic. As Flying Scotsman noted, if you are rear-ended, you may end up being pushed into that oncoming traffic, and the results could be disastrous.

Cheers!!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
First, I was always taught to use the foot brake only while the car is in motion. The emergency brake or hand brake as some call it, was reserved for use when one parks the car.

Cheers!!!!
Sorry Huz maybe i didn't explain that correctly in my post " when the car has STOPPED, you then apply the handbrake (ebrake) EVERYTIME", parked, waiting to turn, at lights etc etc,,,,not when in motion.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Huz maybe i didn't explain that correctly in my post " when the car has STOPPED, you then apply the handbrake (ebrake) EVERYTIME", parked, waiting to turn, at lights etc etc,,,,not when in motion.
Hi!! Yup - I understood what you meant. Up here, we were told that the handbrake is only to be used when the car is parked. The footbrake is used when stopped in traffic etc.

Wouldn;t it be awkward ans slow to disengage the handbrake, such as when a traffic light changes from red to green?

Cheers!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Wouldn;t it be awkward ans slow to disengage the handbrake, such as when a traffic light changes from red to green?
:
No, it's faster as you already have your foot covering the throttle and have you thumb pressing the release button in, as you feed in throttle you release pressure on the handbrake. If you have you foot on the foot brake, you have to move it to the throttle when the light changes.

It is all about looking ahead and using all your limbs for car control - that is the way driving skills are taught in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #32
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

I have to agree using the hand brake sitting at a light seems like a bad choice, using 4 brakes vs 2? Id rather use the 4. What about for autos, is it the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #33
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Not to mention the lack of brake lights for approaching cars from the rear. I mean, how am I supposed to notice the car is stopped while texting my BFF, drinking my starbucks and chomping down my double double with cheese and side of heart attack?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #34
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

All joking aside, the lack of brake lights while using the hand brake only is a significant concern.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #35
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All joking aside, the lack of brake lights while using the hand brake only is a significant concern.
Why? I would have thought the red light at the traffic lights would have told you to em, well,,,,STOP!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
The brake lights are on until after you come to a stop at the traffic lights, assuming the car coming up behind has noticed the lights are red, I would expect they would stop, if not you can take evasive action (you are checking continually in your rearview mirror what is happening behind, aren't you? ).

Never noticed as many rear-ender crashes in the UK as there are in North America, so I assume using the handbrake while stopped at traffic lights as people do there doesn't significantly affect the number of crashes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
No, it's faster as you already have your foot covering the throttle and have you thumb pressing the release button in, as you feed in throttle you release pressure on the handbrake. If you have you foot on the foot brake, you have to move it to the throttle when the light changes.

It is all about looking ahead and using all your limbs for car control - that is the way driving skills are taught in the UK.
Couldn't have explained that better myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #38
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't have explained that better myself.
From your forum name it seems as though you are a UK expat too. Glad we were taught to drive to a higher standard in the UK, compared with the North American norm, eh?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #39
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
From your forum name it seems as though you are a UK expat too. Glad we were taught to drive to a higher standard in the UK, compared with the North American norm, eh?
LOL, yep, from bonny Scotland, funny you talking about the Driving Standard. Read it recently over here, that someone in the goverment wants to introduce a European type style driving test in some state (can't remember which one). They mentioned the U.K. and Germany for their high standard and comprehensive driving tuition.

Where is it you belong in the U.K.?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #40
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why? I would have thought the red light at the traffic lights would have told you to em, well,,,,STOP!
LOL!!!

Good point!! I guess that I always assume that the other drivers are complete blithering idiots! So, I figure that if they don't see my brake lights, they will assume that I am about to move, or that perhaps the car has already begun moving.

Back in my bike days (1977 Yamaha RD400 - did anyone say WHEELIE?), I read that the majority of bike accidents were caused by inattentive drivers who did not see the bike. I adopted the view that I was invisible, and that if a driver could see me, he might try and get me (don't laugh, I know one fellow who experienced that). Anyway, all this contributes to my view that other drivers are "mo-rons" and having your brake lights on while stopped is the best plan.

Cheers and safe driving!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #41
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL, yep, from bonny Scotland, funny you talking about the Driving Standard. Read it recently over here, that someone in the goverment wants to introduce a European type style driving test in some state (can't remember which one). They mentioned the U.K. and Germany for their high standard and comprehensive driving tuition.

I could tell by your accent!!

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #42
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Back in my bike days (1977 Yamaha RD400 - did anyone say WHEELIE?), I read that the majority of bike accidents were caused by inattentive drivers who did not see the bike. I adopted the view that I was invisible, and that if a driver could see me, he might try and get me (don't laugh, I know one fellow who experienced that).
+1, that is what my view is as well from riding a motorcycle. Although with a motorcycle I always keep it in gear when stopped and only go to neutral after a car has stopped behind me. Never know when you'll need a quick evasive manuver!

I don't know if I agree about the "higher standard" in Europe, I believe it is just different. I think the safer driving comes from your intolerance of cell phones, makup, food, etc etc etc while driving. People over here are just stupid and USUALLY put driving as a second task over what they are really trying to accomplish. The sad thing is I see very few people on the road that put driving as a first priority while on the road.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #43
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:

I'm from Liverpool originally, been over in Canada for 23 years, but get back to the UK every year or two. Heading back to catch the Festival of Speed and Farnborough Air Show next week, couldn't get any tickets to the British Grand Prix, though, they've been sold out for a while.
Appreciate 0