ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
///MBC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZMR

Non-matching Tires on ZMR I Purchased

All,

I purchased an 06 ZMR two weeks ago and it came with non-matching tires. The rears are Bridgestone RFTs with about 30% tread life and the fronts are Contis with about 80% tread life. My question is what should I do with this set? Based upon what I have read, it sounds like I have the worst possible combination. Is it dangerous enough to where I should have it changed out this weekend or can I wait until the tread is closer to done on the rears and replace everything at that time? Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MBC View Post
All,

I purchased an 06 ZMR two weeks ago and it came with non-matching tires. The rears are Bridgestone RFTs with about 30% tread life and the fronts are Contis with about 80% tread life. My question is what should I do with this set? Based upon what I have read, it sounds like I have the worst possible combination. Is it dangerous enough to where I should have it changed out this weekend or can I wait until the tread is closer to done on the rears and replace everything at that time? Thank you for your help.
You have a Z4M and it has run flats on the back? That is a completely incorrect tire. M's are supposed to have standard tires. I would certainly switch them ASAP(especially since they are almost worn out anyway.) Are they even the correct size for the M? The offer from the other board member would do well for you since the tread is about even with your front tires. Where did you get your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
///MBC
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
You have a Z4M and it has run flats on the back? That is a completely incorrect tire. M's are supposed to have standard tires. I would certainly switch them ASAP(especially since they are almost worn out anyway.) Are they even the correct size for the M? The offer from the other board member would do well for you since the tread is about even with your front tires. Where did you get your car?
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the car from The Bimmer Store on Roswell Rd. They were great.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Change out the back to mee the front brand and style. The problem with mismateched tires is mismatched handling and braking in dry and wet. Tire replacement is cheaper than breaking your car, or even worse yet breaking yourself or somebody else.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MBC View Post
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the car from The Bimmer Store on Roswell Rd. They were great.
Is it the Black/Imola car? Good looking I bet you got a great deal on it as they had it for a while!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
///MBC
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Is it the Black/Imola car? Good looking I bet you got a great deal on it as they had it for a while!
I did buy the black/imola car. I really like that color combination. They dropped the price quite a bit. I was very happy with the deal I got on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
you can do whatever you feel best with. if you want oem, i have a set of oem rear conti with 70% tread that i dont want/need if you wanna buy them from me.
how much are you asking for those?