ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #23
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitbrownMcoupe View Post
Honestly. Reason why i got the m coupe was because it was an M. And not atypical roadster but a coupe. When I was still in school. I love the z3 m coupe. I thought it was fugly but it was very special. Not a Porsche that u see everywhere. But back then I didn't have the money to get the m coupe. Luckily BMW decided to come out with the z4 m coupe. I got it right after it hit the showroom. Didn't care if the cayman s has better reviews on track. It's a m coupe.

The coupe is kinda half full glass of water isn't it? It's like getting and slk. Or a Cooper non S. If the m coupe didn't exist and it was just the coupe. We'd all be loving the coupe. But reality is that the m coupe z4. Does exist. Sorry 3.0. But at 18k. That's not a bad deal if u don't mind going to a z4 m coupe meet and feeling short.
I assume you are joking? If not, take it easy on the non-M owners here. The 3.0si is a great car in it's own right. Sure it is different than the M, but as many have expounded on in this and other threads, different can be good. The si gets a lot better mileage than the M and this can be advantageous with soaring gas prices. It also avoids the expensive valve adjustments and brake rotors. I love my M, but completely understand the love for the si. Remember, the M only came out in 06. There were tons of "regular" Z4's produced before and after its introduction. Let's agree to get along here as we all have Z4's....
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I assume you are joking? If not, take it easy on the non-M owners here. The 3.0si is a great car in it's own right. Sure it is different than the M, but as many have expounded on in this and other threads, different can be good. The si gets a lot better mileage than the M and this can be advantageous with soaring gas prices. It also avoids the expensive valve adjustments and brake rotors. I love my M, but completely understand the love for the si. Remember, the M only came out in 06. There were tons of "regular" Z4's produced before and after its introduction. Let's agree to get along here as we all have Z4's....
I confess that with all the recent negativity, subtle or explicit, towards the SI lately, its difficult to feel welcome on this board lately.

Like I said on another thread, I actually get better comments on my car from two guys I know here, one with a Carrera S and the other with a 911 Turbo.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

You can't take these online forums too personally. I prefer the M and that was my choice. I've had two non-M BMW's and for what I like and want out of a car I knew I wanted an M for the next one.

There is nothing wrong with the SI and it pretty much looks the same as the M. Lots of pro's and con's to both and you have to pick what you want in the end.

Just remember if you are going to spend lots of money to upgrade the power in the car then you are just better off getting an M to start. If you want a great car but dont want that extra power or cost then the SI is the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
GrayZ4C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
I confess that with all the recent negativity, subtle or explicit, towards the SI lately, its difficult to feel welcome on this board lately.

Like I said on another thread, I actually get better comments on my car from two guys I know here, one with a Carrera S and the other with a 911 Turbo.

It's getting to be a bit much
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
exactly!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #28
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

Didn't say the Z4 3.0 was not a nice car at all guys I'd take it over a cayman anytime.

I'm just saying that before you get the z4, think carefully as you do have an option of getting an M right? It's not like you're buying new at full retail price.

The M is a great deal isn't it? other people have taken the depreciation already.

How is this being negative? It's nice to be polite, but if you post on the forums, you are asking for some advice and obviously we all have our own opinions on why we bought our cars.. weither M or non M....

I've read quite a few threads where people post up pics of thier new wheels or some funny mods.. and some people actually compliment because they are being nice and just wanted to say something encouraging.

getting some form a criticism sometimes is good for improvements no?

Fully agree with Mirko's commnts about practicality and personal requirements for the car.. i.e. less performance and better mileage.... but from a personal satisfaction point of view... since it's not a practical car anyway.... why not go all out for an M and never have look at the 3.0 and wish that you'd gone for a M?

H&R Coilovers, BBS LM-R 19's, K&N Drop Filter.
SS step headers, race cats, x pipe, sport mufflers
Brembo BBK Yellow
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
jimmi1977
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M roadster

Hahaha let' resurrect this thready ) Now that I owned both 3.0si coupe and Z4m coupe, little commentary from me is in order. Being nostalgic today

Calling for comments from all guys who contributed to original thread in 2011!

Little bit of history. I bought 3.0si coupe manual in 2011 with 185km and sold it in 2015 with 215km. Sold price was only 3k lower )) This speaks for 3.0si holding it's value. Best car I ever owned. Only sold it because mileage was getting scary and paint was not in good shape. 0 repairs in 4 years. Just had to replace one rear spring when I was selling it.

Now, in 2015 I got me a 2007 550i manual - great car too. Faster that 3.0si and more practical. Then one door started to rust. So I sold it and got 2007 Z4M coupe.

Z4M - badge-wise it's the dream come true. Owned it since 2015, it's at 115km now. Performance-wise it's a bit faster than 550i but doesn't feel like it. Gas mileage is 50% worse than 3.0si. Even 20% worse than a (heavier) 550i. Low-end torque is worse than both 3.0si and z4m. Transmission is notchier and you have to shift fast (maybe CDV was removed on it? not sure), it's hard to drive this car slow and smooth. You have to push Z4M every time then it's a beast. So for daily driving this car is easily beaten by both 3.0si and 550i. Had to replace front brakes, $800 parts only (did the replacement myself). So parts are more expensive.

Now, if you track it, it's a different story. Z4M all the way. But if you are just a poseur like myself who likes to daily drive cool cars, 3.0si is a clear winner and 550i is a second best. Z4M only gets 3rd place

The problem is, there are no 3.0si coupes for sale in canada None. And these days, while Z4Ms depreciated quite a bit, 3.0si had a much less of a depreciation and in fact in form of 3.0si manual coupe is much more rare than a Z4m coupe.

Now guys, your opinions? What do you drive now?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #30
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is how you resurrect a thread. Five years later you come back after getting an E86 Z4 to eventually come around to acquiring an E86 M Coupe.

Your personal experience with both and forthright perspective is refreshing and is welcomed.

Interesting to see where you were in 2011 and now with the M Coupe.

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #31
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #32
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Talk about a blast from the past!

I've still got my SI and still enjoying her immensely. I just popped on a set of new rims and rubber (VMR 718s and Michelin PSS's) so I don't think she's going anywhere any time soon. I still occasionally think about a low mileage M roadie in Imola Red, but to be honest, the SI ticks all the boxes for me. And besides, the wife said no LOL!!

Caption: Shamelessly fishing for compliments!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #33
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Huz-Z, nice looking car and the wheels work really well. If it were a low miles Imola coupe you were looking for I might have one for you!

Jimmi1977,

FYI

As of a few minutes ago a simple search on Auto Trader shows there are 5 3.0si coupes listed for sale nationally, 4 of these manual transmissions. No doubt there are others available on kijiji, craigs, newspapers etc.

There is one Z4M coupe listed for sale nationally on Auto Trader but no doubt there are also other(s) for sale.

It seems questionable that the Z4 3.0si "is in fact in form of 3.0si manual coupe is much more rare than a Z4m coupe". Both models might be considered rare since there clearly aren't many around, although the Auto Trader information would indicate the opposite of your statement is true. I don't know 3.0 pricing well enough to comment about depreciation for it but based on that listed "asking price" my M hasn't depreciated at all in over 5 years. Everyone's depreciation will vary based on their model, availability, purchase price, length of ownership, area they live in, season, and currency exchange if applicable. ie - lots of factors

Last edited by RBull; 08-23-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
jimmi1977
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Huz-Z, nice looking car and the wheels work really well. If it were a low miles Imola coupe you were looking for I might have one for you!

Jimmi1977,

FYI

As of a few minutes ago a simple search on Auto Trader shows there are 5 3.0si coupes listed for sale nationally, 4 of these manual transmissions. No doubt there are others available on kijiji, craigs, newspapers etc.

There is one Z4M coupe listed for sale nationally on Auto Trader but no doubt there are also other(s) for sale.

It seems questionable that the Z4 3.0si "is in fact in form of 3.0si manual coupe is much more rare than a Z4m coupe".
Yes, indeed, right now more non-M E86 manuals are around. Including one with low mileage and my favorite color combo:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/Z4/Ot...PO&orup=3_15_7

Oh well, how many cars does a person need. Right? Right?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #35
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi1977 View Post
Yes, indeed, right now more non-M E86 manuals are around. Including one with low mileage and my favorite color combo:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/Z4/Ot...PO&orup=3_15_7

Oh well, how many cars does a person need. Right? Right?
Cars needed - 1. Cars wanted - probably lots for us enthusiasts!.

Did some more digging and in pure North America numbers manufacturing numbers the Z43.0si MT was more rare than Z4MC.
M 1815
si 828 (MT) + 1276 (AT) = 2104

What kind of fuel economy were you speaking of? I'm happy with my Z4M which averages 29-30 mpg imperial combined driving. 50% better than that is some serious economy car territory.

Last edited by RBull; 08-23-2016 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #36
jimmi1977
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Cars needed - 1. Cars wanted - probably lots for us enthusiasts!.

Did some more digging and in pure North America numbers manufacturing numbers the Z43.0si MT was more rare than Z4MC.
M 1815
si 828 (MT) + 1276 (AT) = 2104

What kind of fuel economy were you speaking of? I'm happy with my Z4M which averages 29-30 mpg imperial combined driving. 50% better than that is some serious economy car territory.
Yep, that's what I meant when I said manual e86 non-M coupe is rarer (and it was never sold in Canada too).

I am getting a gas mileage of 13-14l/100km, around 22 imperial in my Z4M (mostly short trips, 5-10 km), although not much traffic. I guess I just use every chance to mash the pedal

Besides, not sure why are you mentioning imperial mpg? Haven't updated your location in a while? I just updated a car in my profile
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #37
jimmi1977
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
This is how you resurrect a thread. Five years later you come back after getting an E86 Z4 to eventually come around to acquiring an E86 M Coupe.

Your personal experience with both and forthright perspective is refreshing and is welcomed.

Interesting to see where you were in 2011 and now with the M Coupe.

Well done!
Hey, thanks for kind words
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #38
jimmi1977
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Talk about a blast from the past!

I've still got my SI and still enjoying her immensely. I just popped on a set of new rims and rubber (VMR 718s and Michelin PSS's) so I don't think she's going anywhere any time soon. I still occasionally think about a low mileage M roadie in Imola Red, but to be honest, the SI ticks all the boxes for me. And besides, the wife said no LOL!!

Caption: Shamelessly fishing for compliments!
Hey, nice to see you back in this thread I like your color too. Black or blue for me. So SI is still going strong, what's the mileage? Mine was still good at 215km.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #39
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, nice to see you back in this thread I like your color too. Black or blue for me. So SI is still going strong, what's the mileage? Mine was still good at 215km.
Hey there! My car has just about 56,500 km on her - 35,000 miles. Still a baby!

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #40
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Yep, that's what I meant when I said manual e86 non-M coupe is rarer (and it was never sold in Canada too).

I am getting a gas mileage of 13-14l/100km, around 22 imperial in my Z4M (mostly short trips, 5-10 km), although not much traffic. I guess I just use every chance to mash the pedal

Besides, not sure why are you mentioning imperial mpg? Haven't updated your location in a while? I just updated a car in my profile
28L per 100 at the track
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #41
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

great thread, can't believe I didn't chime in back in 2011 to extoll the virtues of the 3.0SI

I owned a 2007 SI Coupe from 2009 until 2013, the longest I have owned any car which speaks volumes about how much I liked it. I only lost 14K in depreciation in those 4 years (bought for about 38k with 22000km, sold for 24k with 55000 km). It was a CPO so I did not have any out of pocket repair costs.

I too always wondered about whether the M might have offered more enjoyment. But I figured that for my round town hooliganism and no track day stuff, plus the fact that I tend to not rev the hell out of my cars, the SI would be a better fit for me. Nice to know I seemed to have got it right all those years.

I've moved on from the coupe to a 2014 Cayman S, a 2015 Corvette and then back to a 2016 Cayman S. But I still miss the attachment I had to that car.

WHEN I get a coupe again, it will be a Z4C SI...or possibly the promised new Z5C.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #42
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Glad I looked back at the original posting date before typing up some random crap about a PPI inspection location here in Toronto. Doh!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #43
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Haha lol , man, always loved the non m coupe, would have gotten one somewhere along the line if I had a proper garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #44
jimmi1977
Private
Rep

Haha let's do it again. Another resurrection.

The plot deepens. Got my 3.0si coupe back. After selling Z4m coupe

Yes, the exact car I sold 2.5 years ago. It sat in storage in some small private car collection. Due to high mileage (213km) and some cosmetic flaws the collector considered it not worth collecting, so he sold. Back to me

This car needs to be driven

It needs some work too, which I will undertake during cold winter days in my garage.
Appreciate 0