ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puciorek View Post
..."The water accumulates when the drains get blocked. So, if you keep the drains clear"...

Sorry to ask this question, I am sure it has been talked about in the past but how do you clean these drains? or check whether or not they are clean?
Secondly, let's say I only drive short distances daily (8 miles and less) so by folding the top and putting it back up, does that drain significantly the battery?
I finally found this PDF recently:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf How to Unclog the SoftTop Drains.pdf (745.1 KB, 99 views)

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

You don't need to go through all that to access the rubber plugs and clean the drains. As long as you don't have terribly large hands you should be able to jack/raise the car and then stick your hand up from underneath through the open triangle and grab the plug. You may have to experiment getting at the plugs from a couple of different angles, but I do it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
My previous car was an S2000. I had it for 13 years and used to leave the top open all the time when it was parked. After I had the top replaced at 10 years I used to put the top up when it was parked but I would leave the windows down, unless I was just making a quick stop somewhere. It wasn't until two years ago that I parked with the top down and someone threw a little plastic container of tzatziki sauce that opened up and splashed all over the passenger seat. That's the only act of vandalism I've experienced with that car.

However, the BMW roundel tends to set some people off even more, but I still park it with the top up and windows down.
I'm delighted that you have been so fortunate! Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, who knows. My town is not a big one and most folks here are great people. But with all the oil development here recently, there are some major scumbags walking around.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
puciorek
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M

to SD Z4MR and elerner61
thanks a lot gentlemen!
will work on it this cold weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
GoGo Gadget
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Why is your top up in the first place?

You're doing it wrong!
My thought exactly.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I used Einzett cleaning products. Works great!

Amazon carries their whole line.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #29
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I'm delighted that you have been so fortunate! Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, who knows. My town is not a big one and most folks here are great people. But with all the oil development here recently, there are some major scumbags walking around.
I'm more concerned about bird droppings, had it happen twice in our smart cabrio (within a week of each other, once with me in the car!) and once in the Zed already, I always carry baby wipes and a water bottle/microfiber cloth to clean up if this happens.
I tried re-texturing the fibres on the ironing lines with a brass wire brush, the kind you use on nubuck and suede shoes and it kinda worked but only for a while, they always come back.

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0