ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, about a year ago I had the exact same issue with my E90. I decided to flush the clutch fluid and lost all pressure in the pedal and couldn't get it back. I've bled many clutches in my time on this Earth and this was the first that gave me a problem. I have a fluid extractor, and that didn't work. Brought my Wife out to the garage (she's my former brake bleeder assistant) and nada. So I went the Motive route too. Luckily there is a race shop near my office that stocks Motive's products, so I was back on the road the next day.

All I can say I've seen the light. After 30 years or so of bleeding brakes with a helper, using a power bleeder is just a better method, no ifs ands or buts. To anyone reading this post, get a power bleeder, it's one of the best tools you can get. My Wife has lost her job however and is asking for severance pay (I think really she just misses the lift rides...).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Question for users of Motive pressure bleeder...

How do you maintain it between bleed sessions to ensure you get a clean uncontaminated bleed the next time?
Do you clean it out each time or just keep it sealed up.?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #25
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

After I do a brake fluid flush I always take it apart, wash it with water, dry it, blow the hoses out with air and set it out to dry completely before I put it away. Maybe excessive and maybe not the best way but I haven't had any problems doing that through a few flushes.
      06-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #26
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

How do you maintain it between bleed sessions to ensure you get a clean uncontaminated bleed the next time?
I don't put any fluid in the bleeder itself. I just top up the brake fluid reservoir and use the motive to pressurize it. If you're pushing a lot of fluid through you may have to top up once or twice, but no mess.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #27
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomboRombo View Post
Do you think the bottle would work well with just the pedal pump method?
I assume you mean without having to close the bleed screws between pumps? Don't know. It's easy to get air past the threads and I don't see how the bottle would prevent that. The air could be sucked into the line and you wouldn't know it. The only reason I got the turner bottle was for the nifty magnet attachment. Hardly worth it really. Just get the most motive bleeder. Life will be good.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
I don't put any fluid in the bleeder itself. I just top up the brake fluid reservoir and use the motive to pressurize it. If you're pushing a lot of fluid through you may have to top up once or twice, but no mess.
Thanks, hadn't thought of using it that way.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not hard. Motive's instructions say to clean it with denatured alcohol. Any decent hardware store should have it. I clean mine with denatured alcohol and I've used mine about 4 times already and maybe used a pint of denatured alcohol to clean it.

Note, if you do not use fluid in the tank, you can risk getting air into the brake system, not good if you have ABS.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #30
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
You're defeating the purpose of having the pressure bleeder in the first place by doing this. You've actually increased the risk of filling the system with air because now it's pressurized air.
      06-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Thanks, hadn't thought of using it that way.
I used it that way as well. I think thats probably how most people use it.

As long as you use a turkey baster or something to take the old fluid out of the reservoir first and replace it with new fluid, and of course keep the reservoir 100% full, I think doing it like this is fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #32
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, about a year ago I had the exact same issue with my E90. I decided to flush the clutch fluid and lost all pressure in the pedal and couldn't get it back. I've bled many clutches in my time on this Earth and this was the first that gave me a problem. I have a fluid extractor, and that didn't work. Brought my Wife out to the garage (she's my former brake bleeder assistant) and nada. So I went the Motive route too. Luckily there is a race shop near my office that stocks Motive's products, so I was back on the road the next day.

All I can say I've seen the light. After 30 years or so of bleeding brakes with a helper, using a power bleeder is just a better method, no ifs ands or buts. To anyone reading this post, get a power bleeder, it's one of the best tools you can get. My Wife has lost her job however and is asking for severance pay (I think really she just misses the lift rides...).
Glad I'm not the only one who managed to do that.

I wonder what percentage of motive bleeders are sold to people in oh shit situations like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who managed to do that.

I wonder what percentage of motive bleeders are sold to people in oh shit situations like that.
A motive bleeder is worth EVERY penny.

Bleeding bakes/clutch = get a Motive Power Bleeder.

I made a catch can out of some clear hose and an empty washer fluid bottle. Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle, insert hose, whala, free catch can.
Appreciate 0