ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Right Side Mirror Gone, Need some advise

As I was Driving tonight I got hit in my left side mirror with another car that was changing lanes with out looking before changing. However I was driving at a decent high speed so the other driver probably did not had time to react on time till impact. Although I hate that people change with out turning their head....!!! I'm so glad that this accident only hit my mirror and not the rest of the vehicle. It was mirror to mirror hit. Of course the other cars mirror actually flew out of his car and to my luck the person had no insurance. Any ways. point here is I need a new one asap. My only vehicle and is extremely illegal to drive out with out it.
What would you recommended I do?
I check out GetBMWparts for:
51167112588 - Mirror glass Right &
51167189708 - Mirror assy w/o folding mirror, w/o auto dim Right
Total $297.75 before tax/shipping (reasonable)? I think is too much + It will need a paint job.

From the pictures does this look like it can be fit with only just buying the Mirror Glass that did flew out? Or does it look like the painted shell can be used?
(Will take better pictures tomorrow)

Another alternative I was thinking were used ones. No idea how much a paint job would cost for that shell if I buy a used one different color.
Found two on ebay one almost same price as a new one but near me I could check it personally before buying.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOR-MIRROR-...0410be&vxp=mtr
Second one is far from here but almost half the price from a salvage car. The side mirror kit and glass look to be in a decent shape but they are only photos I can see unfortunately.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390992206393...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Such a bad luck I have but I am pretty sure it could had been worst.
Please would like some advises before I take a decision which needs to be tomorrow by latest.

2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

if you move the controller inside the car, does the swash plate still move or is it rooted? if it still works, id just get a new glass piece, comes with the plastic backing plate. yeah very lucky you didn't get the door or even worse the A pillar.. lucky guy
      12-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep

I will check that As soon as i get back home today hoping that it does work.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

The fact that they have no insurance does not lessen their liability, if you can prove it. In fact, in most jurisdictions, it leaves them liable for a ticket. Have you heard of small claims court?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
if you move the controller inside the car, does the swash plate still move or is it rooted? if it still works, id just get a new glass piece, comes with the plastic backing plate. yeah very lucky you didn't get the door or even worse the A pillar.. lucky guy
There is nothing moving when I move the controller, The plate looks like is broken too, and I have no idea if something else is broken inside too. I can hear the noise when I move the controller but there is no movement at all. I think my best choice is to just buy a used one, re painted it, and install it my self since a new is extremely $$$$ too much. Thank for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
The fact that they have no insurance does not lessen their liability, if you can prove it. In fact, in most jurisdictions, it leaves them liable for a ticket. Have you heard of small claims court?
I never heard of that. I only been in two accident with another car. I did not knew much of what I could do or what I should do. I was not sure if it was not my fault at all neither. I know I was not the one changing but I was going a decent high speed over the speed limit of the streets where this happen something I do not do usual but for my luck this happen when I was. That is why I was also a bit afraid to involve cops into this too. We both when our different way at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

That is called failure to yield. They are most certainly at fault, even if you were speeding. Should have called the cops...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

The following are some things that you may not have considered. Do you have Uninsured Motorist coverage on your vehicle? If so, that might be an option. Get your car repaired correctly and have your insurance company go after the other guy. I'm not suggesting you lie, but volunteering information that suggests you were speeding is not recommended.(If you're CERTAIN that you were, you can do the noble thing and admit it, keep in mind, your admission will NOT help your cause and it will be used against you). Also, since there was only property damage and no bodily injury, it's highly unlikely an officer would have responded had you contacted the police. Just curious, has the other driver contacted you in regard to personal injury, or damage to their vehicle? One more thing, you can take the other driver to Small Claims Court and receive a judgment against them, but that doesn't guarantee that you'll ever see a penny. A lot of uninsured driver's don't have anything to lose, hence the reason they don't carry insurance. I would check your insurance policy to see what options it provides (if any) and go that route. That's what YOU'RE paying insurance for. If you're able to submit a claim your insurance company, remember there's the possibility they'll raise your rates. Unfortunately, sometimes it's cheaper to fix the damage yourself and save your insurance for the "Big" losses.
Appreciate 0