ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Greetings... and questions..

So I've finalized a deal on a 2007 Z4 M Coupe down in California. I have purchased my one way plane ticket, getting everything lined up etc and will be driving her back to Seattle at the end of the month. I've very excited!

This will be my first BMW... I've owned dozens of other cars, pretty much every make out there save a few, so I'm really green to this car.

My first and biggest question is where do I find the cool aftermarket stuff for this car? I've been all over this website and I'm not seeing much... I see the aero side skirts are hot right now, and I'll probably do that (once I get the car) but much beyond that there doesn't seem to be much out there. Suspension and what not I can find on my own... I see a few intakes and headers (not sure if I'll do that) not really much more ground effects but I guess I should expect that from such a low volume car. (main reason I'm getting it, plus the Z4 coupe reminds me of my recently deceased Dad's E-Type, profile wise). I'm not even sure where to get this "Mstache" lip I see is very popular. I imagine I'll figure this out with time but a little jump start will help.

2nd... well, I guess there is no 2nd. I'm going to mod this car a bit like I've done to all my cars and just enjoy the heck out of it... guess I just wanted to say hello! I currently have a 2013 Cayenne GTS as my daily, traded my '07 997 Turbo in on it for the kids, but I can't live without a manual car.

Funny thing is... I've never even driven one... and I'm going to fly down there and drive this thing back simply because it's really caught my attention. Just a wonderful looking vehicle that I think will only continue to age well. I've been reading up on them for a month or two and found the car I wanted on the Z4 classifieds page. There really isn't anything near Seattle... I think 2 M Coupes (one in Portland and one is salvage title). This is going to be fun.

Here's a short list of previous cars : 2 997 Turbos (One cab, one coupe) 3 S4's (2 were B6 V8's, one B8 sc'd 6, one avant, etc ) 2 Acura NSX's ('91 and '03) Mini Cooper S, CTS-V Wagon, 350Z (and a dozen other non noteworthy or forgotten vehicles)... all those cars were manual... and I'm hoping the Z4 transmission lives up to the hype I've seen here. Really looking forward to it! I plan on keeping this car, I actually think it's a collector, but I'm also going to drive the heck out of it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Well, you're in for a treat! Post picts the minute you get it :-)
      05-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Welcome!

Welcome!

Having grown up and spent most of my life in Seattle this is how I purchased almost every BMW I've owned. Flown down, driven it back. Usually up the coast

As far as mods you kind of have to just shop around at the usual BMW aftermarket vendors. Not really a whole lot out there specifically for the Z4M but lots of things that work for the e46 M3 work for our cars. Software(ESS), headers(euro e46 M3), exhaust(Stromung) and suspension(AST) have been my main mods and very happy with them. Mstache can be purchased through the "group buy" thread in the FS section.

Enjoy and have a great return trip!
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrhed View Post
Welcome!

Having grown up and spent most of my life in Seattle this is how I purchased almost every BMW I've owned. Flown down, driven it back. Usually up the coast

As far as mods you kind of have to just shop around at the usual BMW aftermarket vendors. Not really a whole lot out there specifically for the Z4M but lots of things that work for the e46 M3 work for our cars. Software(ESS), headers(euro e46 M3), exhaust(Stromung) and suspension(AST) have been my main mods and very happy with them. Mstache can be purchased through the "group buy" thread in the FS section.

Enjoy and have a great return trip!
Thanks! That's a huge help knowing the M3 stuff works... i figured it would be worth a shot, being the same engine and all.

I'm excited.. yeah, the car market up here in Seattle is overpriced and understocked. My 997 Turbo Cab came from Spokane even. Oh, and you'll be happy to hear I'm picking up an Alpine White M (Coupe) as well. I'm sure I'll take pics along the way... not sure if I have time to do the coast or not.. I need to get back by Sunday night... maybe from Portland up or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a proper mod list. This, I'm happy to say, is now my car...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=marinb
      05-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You mentioned the transmission and I will say that is one area it is not the best. There are lots of issues with fast 1=>2 shifts. I recommend buying new transmission mounts(either Rogue Engineering or UUC) and there are new motor mounts folks have been buying(Vibra-Technics) which supposedly help too. Also get rid of the CDV if it hasn't already been done.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
You mentioned the transmission and I will say that is one area it is not the best. There are lots of issues with fast 1=>2 shifts. I recommend buying new transmission mounts(either Rogue Engineering or UUC) and there are new motor mounts folks have been buying(Vibra-Technics) which supposedly help too. Also get rid of the CDV if it hasn't already been done.
This. Oh and euro headers with euro cats or the dkf equivalent and you won't look back. When you get up here lets get a bunch of the locals to meet up?
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Oh yeah, watch your self in OR. They love ticketing out of stater's! I usually always brought my V1 along.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVolkl View Post
Thanks! That's a huge help knowing the M3 stuff works... i figured it would be worth a shot, being the same engine and all.

I'm excited.. yeah, the car market up here in Seattle is overpriced and understocked. My 997 Turbo Cab came from Spokane even. Oh, and you'll be happy to hear I'm picking up an Alpine White M (Coupe) as well. I'm sure I'll take pics along the way... not sure if I have time to do the coast or not.. I need to get back by Sunday night... maybe from Portland up or something.
I'm jealous of your Alpine coupe...one of my favorite color on the Z. You have to at least do HW1 north of SanFrancisco. It gets very interesting from north of Fort Bragg to Redwood
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Welcome, and a word of advice. Take your time and slow down, cowboy! There are so many ways to spend money on this car that your money will be guaranteed to run out before your options do. Come up with an overall strategy, and then determine the sequence of how you wish to spend. Some of us have spent far more than we want to admit. Remember to keep the car reliable at all times, and be sure to check on your state's smog rules before spending. Good luck, and be sure to ask questions while you go. There will be plenty of help available.
      05-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Welcome!

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of toys you can spend money on for the Z4M, but as with all cars, the bang-for-the-buck factor is all over the map. I've done very little to my car in 7 years, and I'm perfectly happy as it sits today - Bilstein HDs when the stock Boges were starting to wear, CDV delete, Pilot Super Sports, VibraTechnics motor mounts, Rogue tranny mounts (a GREAT combo IMHO as you'll hear others echo), alcantara shift boot from LeatherZ, and stubby antenna.. and that's about it. The car is so sweet right out of the box that doing much anything to it can be considered "optional". And as they get older, the closer-to-stock examples should hold their value nicely.

I too had completely made up my mind to buy the car before I'd driven one. I think you'll be very happy with your decision.
      05-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
Welcome! - I just picked my '07 Z4 M R about a month ago - I have the Z in San Antonio, but my home base is Seattle - I also had an 07' 997TT and a few other Pcars - I currently have an F10 550; E90 M3; tuned B8 S4 in Seattle.
If you up to it, ping me when you settle down and we could set up a local drive in the summer - I'm in downtown Bellevue.
I was torn between a coupe and roadster - eventually went for the roadster since it will be in Texas - since it's in the 90's there already, it's a blast to cruise around in the mornings and evenings with the top down.Name:  Z4_rear_SA4.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  42.0 KB
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Here is a proper mod list. This, I'm happy to say, is now my car...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=marinb
WOW. Thanks! Added that to my bookmarks menu.. I'll be looking over that a lot.

Just 2 weeks away.... getting excited.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
This. Oh and euro headers with euro cats or the dkf equivalent and you won't look back. When you get up here lets get a bunch of the locals to meet up?
Where do you guys take your Z4's to be serviced.. or for mods like headers to be installed? Is there anyone that specializes in these cars?

I used to go to Motoring Unlimited in Issaquah, but they're gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle335 View Post
Welcome! - I just picked my '07 Z4 M R about a month ago - I have the Z in San Antonio, but my home base is Seattle - I also had an 07' 997TT and a few other Pcars - I currently have an F10 550; E90 M3; tuned B8 S4 in Seattle.
If you up to it, ping me when you settle down and we could set up a local drive in the summer - I'm in downtown Bellevue.
I was torn between a coupe and roadster - eventually went for the roadster since it will be in Texas - since it's in the 90's there already, it's a blast to cruise around in the mornings and evenings with the top down.Attachment 1028939
Fantastic... yeah, my B8 S4 had the ECU tune, miltek etc... I didn't get around to the pulley upgrade before I sold it... but that was one heck of a car.

I was going to get a roadster, but I'm drawn to the coupe. I miss my Turbo Cab... top down motoring is definitely amazing and the decision is almost a coin flip! Luckily my Cayenne has a huge panoramic roof, kinda makes up for it.

Thanks again everyone for the support. I've always been an active member of whatever car forum for whatever car I currently own... so you'll be seeing more of me.

Not that anyone needs to see these, but here are a few of my old cars... will give you an idea of what I'll probably end up doing to the Z4... if anything at all (It already has aftermarket lightweight rims on it...)

Yeah, I got a problem... and I'm trying to stop. I'm hoping the Z4 is the last car for awhile. Unless of course I come across a Z8 that needs a home someday.

Now, really looking forward to posting some pics of the Z4 as I dive it back up here. I hope the weather is good... and I hope this doesn't fall through or something at the last minute. I'm kinda building this up now. lol Still waiting for the guy to fax me the bill of sale and registration so I can go get a check.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Great car mate you will be lost when that S54 kicks into life and you are hunting through your first set of corners.. ;-D

Enjoy, and remember to take lots of pics. Also, since you've owned a few cars before, please remember to have a good read on the what to look for when buying z4mc , or at least get a prior inspection b4 purchase done at a bimmer joint, unless your ok at swinging a spanner yourself

Love the black NSX :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Great car mate you will be lost when that S54 kicks into life and you are hunting through your first set of corners.. ;-D

Enjoy, and remember to take lots of pics. Also, since you've owned a few cars before, please remember to have a good read on the what to look for when buying z4mc , or at least get a prior inspection b4 purchase done at a bimmer joint, unless your ok at swinging a spanner yourself

Love the black NSX :-)
Yeah, the car I found is owned by an enthusiast and it sounds really well sorted out. I'm taking a bit of a risk on it... but I'm hoping it will pay off.

I'm going to take as many pics as possible, but I'm also trying to make good time back to Seattle, so we'll see lol. I'll feel a lot better when I have the registration in my hands.

Here's a picture of the actual car from the owner. Those are the stock rims which I'm not taking, in favor of some aftermarket lighter ones (that are more titanium looking). I also already ordered the //M badge for the rear since he de-badged it.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, too bad...looks like he was a USC alum...car resale is ruined, I hope you took that into account when you negotiated the price! :-)

Beautiful car..can't wait to see more picts!
      05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Well, too bad...looks like he was a USC alum...car resale is ruined, I hope you took that into account when you negotiated the price! :-)

Beautiful car..can't wait to see more picts!
LOL... well, I can bet my first mod will be removing that license plate bracket!

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #20
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Quote:
Where do you guys take your Z4's to be serviced.. or for mods like headers to be installed? Is there anyone that specializes in these cars?

I used to go to Motoring Unlimited in Issaquah, but they're gone.
Broadstroke associates. The only place I go.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
I used to take an out of warranty E39 M5 to Strictly BMW in Bellevue, but that was about 6 years ago, so I'm not sure on their current service delivery, but at the time they had some M guru - funny part is my indie guy in San Antonio also says he has the best M guru in the country

Quote:
Broadstroke associates. The only place I go.
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #22
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
What is this "CDV" I keep reading about and what does it have to do with shifting?
Appreciate 0