ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

need to buy new headlights..bi-xenon

My headlights are bi-xenon in my 2007 bmw z4 coupe, but as I stated previously the paint is bubbling (should of never painted them), and I need a new set. If I buy a set that's not bi-xenon can I convert them to bi-xenon somehow? How much is it to do this usually? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I doubt they can be converted, and not likely worth the cost to do so if possible. Most xenon assemblies are wildly different in design than their halogen counterparts in terms of the wiring, projector size/shape, ballast mounts, etc.

Good luck on the hunt, shame about the mod failing. Headlight housings get HOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Isn't it possible to buy a zenon retrofit kit for cars that have conventional headlights? If so, you could hunt up conventional Z4 headlights for your car and use them to replace the damaged zenon assemblies (which are crazy expensive). And then convert the replacements to zenon.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Or, as suggested by AmmarYasirA here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...9#post20296819

repaint your housings. Or perhaps try to remove the paint altogether and restore to OEM.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

lol, J-Thurm Bud, no need to double post

-Here's a link to OEM black housings that are halogen (You're looking at the very least $500+ for a xenon conversion on these)
-I did see another OEM Xenon headlamp on Ebay that had black housings, but I cant seem to confirm the part number on RealOEM. (These are going to cost a fortune if they're new, and used ones are still expensive... and used)
-You could also go with Spyder headlights or some other aftermarket headlight but I haven't really heard any great reviews on them. And IMO, they dont look half as good as OEM. (Still cost over $200+)

Once again, I implore you to just refinish your current headlights one more time. You'll have the opportunity to truly make them individual (again) to your car, and make them more durable, not to mention save you A LOT of $$$$

There ARE ways to convert halogen to Bi-xenon (look up theretrofitsource), but honestly, again, Its just sooo much cheaper to just redo the ones you already have. This time, just have them done by someone who has a lot of experience with headlight customization or retrofitting. TONS of people out there to choose from other than the ones BMW forums are used to.
      07-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post

-Here's a link to OEM black housings that are halogen (You're looking at the very least $500+ for a xenon conversion on these)
-I did see another OEM Xenon headlamp on Ebay that had black housings, but I cant seem to confirm the part number on RealOEM. (These are going to cost a fortune if they're new, and used ones are still expensive... and used)
-You could also go with Spyder headlights or some other aftermarket headlight but I haven't really heard any great reviews on them. And IMO, they dont look half as good as OEM. (Still cost over $200+)

Once again, I implore you to just refinish your current headlights one more time. You'll have the opportunity to truly make them individual (again) to your car, and make them more durable, not to mention save you A LOT of $$$$

There ARE ways to convert halogen to Bi-xenon (look up theretrofitsource), but honestly, again, Its just sooo much cheaper to just redo the ones you already have. This time, just have them done by someone who has a lot of experience with headlight customization or retrofitting. TONS of people out there to choose from other than the ones BMW forums are used to.
Sorry about the double post, I've just been freaking out over it. I wish I could find black paint that would do the job. Do you have any suggestions on black paint that would actually work on these housing and not get too hot? Thanks again for your reply. I've looked at the Spyder headlights and noticed that the angel eyes aren't that bright and they just look cheap as you mentioned. Thanks again my man, just need to find the paint now.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm
Quote:

Sorry about the double post, I've just been freaking out over it. I wish I could find black paint that would do the job. Do you have any suggestions on black paint that would actually work on these housing and not get too hot? Thanks again for your reply. I've looked at the Spyder headlights and noticed that the angel eyes aren't that bright and they just look cheap as you mentioned. Thanks again my man, just need to find the paint now.
Save yourself time and effort. Call ONEighty NYC and tell them what you want and they can do it.

They specialize in headlights and the quality is very good.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

The thing is, I get that headlights are exposed to the elements and it can get realllllyyy hot. And Paint may very well be the culprit in your scenario, BUT another thing that might be an issue is prep-work. It may not have been 100% properly prepped before they were painted. You have to make sure that you absolutely clean up any surface that you're painting and DEFINITELY get rid of the old paint. Pretty sure that's common knowledge, but I still had to mention it.
There are a plethora of ways to do what you want to do, but you really just have to see what you want.

Also, you're seriously just a really quick Google search away from seeing what's out there, what's been done, what's held up the best, and how it was done. If you want an absolute expert opinion, start looking up professional headlight retrofitters/custom shops and call/email them and get their opinion on what you should do.

IF it were me, and I wanted to do black housings ( I dont ), Id take the headlights apart, separate the housing from the rest of the headlight assembly, have it (housing) completely sanded down/stripped/sand blasted/etc (whatever got it down to bare plastic) and then probably just get them powdercoated. Its overkill, unnecessary, and might be a little more expensive than some other options out there, but just keep in mind that people get their wheels/brakes powdercoated because of its resistance to heat.
This, however, is not your only option, and as I said, its kinda overkill. But its just something I would do. (Or think I would do)

As far as light output on the road is concerned, all of the Z4's have bulbs inside projectors (pretty sure). The only time painting the housing would make a (major) difference in light output, would be if the bulb was in a reflector bowl (which it's not). If you reaaaalllyyy wanna get better light output, your next step would be to get a clear lens swap and maybe new bulbs preferably during your process of painting the housings.

hope this helped.
      07-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The thing is, I get that headlights are exposed to the elements and it can get realllllyyy hot. And Paint may very well be the culprit in your scenario, BUT another thing that might be an issue is prep-work. It may not have been 100% properly prepped before they were painted. You have to make sure that you absolutely clean up any surface that you're painting and DEFINITELY get rid of the old paint. Pretty sure that's common knowledge, but I still had to mention it.
There are a plethora of ways to do what you want to do, but you really just have to see what you want.

Also, you're seriously just a really quick Google search away from seeing what's out there, what's been done, what's held up the best, and how it was done. If you want an absolute expert opinion, start looking up professional headlight retrofitters/custom shops and call/email them and get their opinion on what you should
IF it were me, and I wanted to do black housings ( I dont ), Id take the headlights apart, separate the housing from the rest of the headlight assembly, have it (housing) completely sanded down/stripped/sand blasted/etc (whatever got it down to bare plastic) and then probably just get them powdercoated. Its overkill, unnecessary, and might be a little more expensive than some other options out there, but just keep in mind that people get their wheels/brakes powdercoated because of its resistance to heat.
This, however, is not your only option, and as I said, its kinda overkill. But its just something I would do. (Or think I would do)

As far as light output on the road is concerned, all of the Z4's have bulbs inside projectors (pretty sure). The only time painting the housing would make a (major) difference in light output, would be if the bulb was in a reflector bowl (which it's not). If you reaaaalllyyy wanna get better light output, your next step would be to get a clear lens swap and maybe new bulbs preferably during your process of painting the housings.

hope this helped.
That's a really solid answer and I really appreciate it. It's funny that you mention powder coating, because I was thinking of that but didn't know how well it would work. I guess I can try and figure out how to take the headlights apart without damaging them and having the housing powder-coated. I know someone that does it for a living, so I will drop them off to him. I think that would actually look pretty good considering my car is all black with black 19" wheels. Do you think it would be a pretty tough process getting the housing out of the headlight without damaging anything or do they come out pretty easily? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #10
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

I have like... negative experience with taking the headlights apart lol. Although it is a project I have been thinking about doing in the future.
However, its been done before. I'm also pretty sure there's a thread around here that someone made a DIY about taking the headlights apart.

Id still consult with a true expert on powder coating the housings before actually doing them. Im sure there are other ways of doing what you want and powder coating may or may not be the best idea. I just thought of it because it seems like a great idea. I might be completely wrong.
      07-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #11
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, the housing is chrome because it extends the width of the beam. I think that's why my lights are looking all messed up and all over the place. I hope after I paint them again with whatever I decide to use will fix this issue somehow.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Save yourself time and effort. Call ONEighty NYC and tell them what you want and they can do it.

They won't touch Z4 lights. I've tried.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #13
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

They wouldn't make black housing headlights if it ruined light output. Like I said, all of these headlights have projectors with bulbs behind them. The projectors themselves have a reflector bowl towards the back where the bulb can use it to reflect its light onto the road. Chrome housings make little difference in light output because of these projectors.
The only issues I could presume as to why your light is going all over the place is either because of some issue with the projector, or your current paint flaking off and the light beam from your projector hitting the flaky parts. (Thus, causing them to go all over the place)

You should be good though after new paint. Id personally go ahead and get a clear lens swap as well as new bulbs to cancel out any other variables in regards to subpar light projection.
      07-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX
Quote:

They won't touch Z4 lights. I've tried.
That's strange since they had them on their website.

I put some of their lights in my brothers car and they are very well done.

He didn't go for a lot of options but they turned out sweet.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

They have a licence plate holder for the E85 but no lighting.

I even asked for a custom quote....and nope!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX
Quote:

They have a licence plate holder for the E85 but no lighting.

I even asked for a custom quote....and nope!
That's BS!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ONEighty <info@oneightynyc.com>
May 30

to me
Hey ****, sorry but we don't work on that model headlights. They have a permanent seal on them.

ONEighty INFO
::: OFFICE | 347.821.6176
::: FAX | 347.462.2255
ONEighty Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Instagram

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at **** wrote:

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: BMW
Vehicle Model: Z4 3.0i

Message Body:
Hi There,

My E85 headlights are in need of some love. Any chance you guys would want to work on a set for me?

They were quick to respond which was nice. There are other shops who have quoted me, but charge more specifically because of how the housings are sealed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #18
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I came across some guys here in Atlanta, when I started having issues with the seals and the dealers of course said you just need to purchase a whole new light assembly. You can buy them for about $950 each on ECS or you can do what I did which cost me about the same and they turned out great.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...2722/ES172922/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast View Post
I came across some guys here in Atlanta, when I started having issues with the seals and the dealers of course said you just need to purchase a whole new light assembly. You can buy them for about $950 each on ECS or you can do what I did which cost me about the same and they turned out great.

Are you saying you had your original lights redone by someone in Atlanta? If so please share the name and contact info so others can use them. Those lights look great.

Do you still have flashers in the housing? It looks like the entire hockey stick is a DRL in your light.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #20
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Ask for Dee at Tintworld at the Chamblee Location. He has a guy who works inhouse and really knows what he is doing. They did my fog lights as well.

http://www.tintworld.com/locations/ga/chamblee-010/

We swapped out the turn signals for LED's. I went all out on them, but it totally changes the look of the car.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #21
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast View Post

Those look GREAT! What did it cost you total? What did they use for the paint on the inside of the headlights? Are those just led's they put in for the signals that light up when you use them? I already spent hundreds with Tekarbon, I wonder if they would help me out at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I went all out and they ran about 1800. I had the projectors, halos and swapped out the turn singles for the LEDs. They used a heat resistant paint and they guarantee it. The guys they have in-house only does headlights and guarantees his work.

I had broken factory seals and these were actually cheaper than replacing the assembly.
Appreciate 0