ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Swap Your Differential

Just wanted to ad to this subject. The diff swap is a must on these cars, especially if you have a 3.0 with the stock 3.07 gearing. I went to 3.46. It's not as significant as forced induction of course but the torque feels like it's always there with no low points whatsoever. I notice my DSC light coming on more often due to the extra torque.

The gears are closer together and it feels even more like a true sports car. However on the highway i'm still under 3,000 RPM so not a big trade off. If I had to sum up the difference i'd say it makes the car feel lighter overall. I was on the fence about this and now it's the first thing i'd recommend.

I spent $500 CDN for the whole job including all new seals and anything replaceable was replaced. DIY would be less than $300. What a DIFFerence it makes in the car. tehehe. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by Sterling Roadster; 07-22-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Adding
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

on the autobahn where cruisingspeeds in excess of 120mph are quite normal for fast cars, you might want to keep that 3.07 ratio. The 330i with same engine even has a longer gearing 2.94. To make it more suitable as a high speed car for the autobahn.
In the US where speeds are really really low (and gas is really cheap) it may be another story. So must is more might
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
on the autobahn where cruisingspeeds in excess of 120mph are quite normal for fast cars, you might want to keep that 3.07 ratio. The 330i with same engine even has a longer gearing 2.94. To make it more suitable as a high speed car for the autobahn.
In the US where speeds are really really low (and gas is really cheap) it may be another story. So must is more might
Yeah, should've been more specific I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I would trade some top speed that I can't make use of for some low end torque.
But something tells me I can't do it on the ///M for $500.
      07-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
IndyHo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

So, could you elaborate on your "swap"? The what and how of it? Pros and Cons? I've thought of this but waiting to hear from people who actually did it.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Lol, yeah definitely more than 500 but the 4.10 is nice.
If you track the car though you need to consider where you run the car, if it's suitable or not.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Been looking around for the best deal on a 4.10 set for a bit, Tischer lists 33127768526 at $677, although I read on another forum that they might not actually sell for that price. I think that PN is through the Motorsport catalog. ECS lists it for $763 maybe with free shipping too. Will prob snag a set before summer is over

Glad you're enjoying OP, I've read nothing but good things about this upgrade
      07-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHo View Post
So, could you elaborate on your "swap"? The what and how of it? Pros and Cons? I've thought of this but waiting to hear from people who actually did it.
I have a full review on my build thread linked in my signature.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

My .02

I had no problem dropping top end speed to get the torque multiplication in the range I typically drive
With my 3.91, which is likely too high (numerically) for most I am taching around 3200@80mph
The gains at the lower revs are well worth the loss of top end speed as we are limited anyway unless you track your car which I do not.

As far as the install goes, it was well in the realm of DIY using jackstands and following all safety precautions. There are lots of vids out there on how to R&R an E46 rear diff.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I asked about going the LSD route but my shop asked if I was ready to drop $2,000 on it. I said, no I am not. haha

Besides I don't know if i'd bother doing this with an S54, lot's of power and torque already, but I guess you can get used to any amount of power. one day...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHo View Post
For sure, basically my shop suggested it to me because I was talking about how I love to shift in this car, wish the gearing was shorter and wished for a bit more low end torque. But I wasn't about to do a transmission swap or FI.

Long story short, the shop had a 3.46 diff lying around he was going to sell. I gave him my 3.07 and I took his. Took him a few hours, he replaced all the seals, plugs, fluid and anything that was replaceable for 500 bucks ($380 US) all in.

I'm the kind of guy that believes most mods aren't justified financially, but in this case it's the best money I ever spent on a car.

Pros:
- Car feels lighter with more immediate torque response.
- I've read through a few sites that on paper it's supposed to be about 20-30 more pd/ft of torque to the wheels. But on my butt dyno it feels like 40-60.
- More shifting though not annoyingly so.
- On the highway you'll be closer to the power band in 6th gear so you don't have to downshift to over take someone.

Cons:
- On the at 120 kmh (70mph) i'm at about 2,900 rpm and before I was at about 2,350. Which to be honest I don't even notice.. And I haven't noticed a decrease in fuel efficiency either. Maybe an extra couple bucks but I don't care.

The way I know for a FACT this increases wheel torque: My DSC light very rarely came on when I pushed this car and now it's very often, meaning the sensors are picking up more torque than before. Also with all of the assists turned off, she's much more tail happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
If you track the car though you need to consider where you run the car, if it's suitable or not.
I've never taken my own car to the track but of of curiosity, what are those kinds of restrictions for? I understand noise level and stuff but I know there's some really weird ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I've never taken my own car to the track but of of curiosity, what are those kinds of restrictions for? I understand noise level and stuff but I know there's some really weird ones.
I was referring to the gearing at the track.
You need to do some calculations to determine the suitability of the different final drives.

For example on the M the stock diff is 3.62, with 3.91 and 4.10 as options.
I looked at the speed/rpm through the various corners and the fact I was hitting the rev limiter up the back straight in 4th gear.
In my case the 4.10 was an easy decision after looking at the data.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #14
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Been looking around for the best deal on a 4.10 set for a bit, Tischer lists 33127768526 at $677, although I read on another forum that they might not actually sell for that price. I think that PN is through the Motorsport catalog. ECS lists it for $763 maybe with free shipping too. Will prob snag a set before summer is over

Glad you're enjoying OP, I've read nothing but good things about this upgrade
Thanks! I would have definitely considered going that route too, had I known how dramatic the difference was. I really feel companies should make it an optional extra from the factory. On a sports car that rarely does the highway like mine, I was missing out on a bunch of fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster
Quote:
Mostly if you'll run out of revs and hit redline in certain sections. I wouldn't want to have to upshift to 5th on the long straight at my favorite track. I'd rather just stay in fourth and on the throttle. With a 4.10 I'd have to go to 5th or hit the rev limiter.

A shift would mean getting off the throttle for a moment (that's going to cost me time), and having to downshift to fourth and brake from 125 to 130 to 85 to 90. It's kind of hairy going from those speeds into a that corner and heel toeing badly isn't going to be fun, at those speeds you're seriously going to unsettle the car, and not do the drivetrain or diff any favors! I'm also learning to left foot brake that corner (smoother transition) not something I can do if I've got to downshift from 5th-4th. (*** Pats self on back for pulling that off on 1/3 of laps last weekend*** )

On a different track, the 4.10 might offer some torque advantages and offer a better match for the type of speeds you'd be seeing in corners and between them. On some tracks the speed range for a particular gear might be more optimal with a different ratio.

See here and you'll get a better picture. Always trade offs!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
My .02

I had no problem dropping top end speed to get the torque multiplication in the range I typically drive
With my 3.91, which is likely too high (numerically) for most I am taching around 3200@80mph
The gains at the lower revs are well worth the loss of top end speed as we are limited anyway unless you track your car which I do not.

As far as the install goes, it was well in the realm of DIY using jackstands and following all safety precautions. There are lots of vids out there on how to R&R an E46 rear diff.
I agree, my shop told me I could probably do it myself, but I look at this car like it's a '64 Ferrari GTO for some reason haha. I may do it on my 325i though. I really don't mind the higher revs, even with the exhaust I have.

I see you're in Kitchener, if you ever need some nice rural back roads, give Goodwood a try. And if you see a moron in a Z4 running through gears like he's in a Le Mans series, it's probably me lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #17
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to the gearing at the track.
You need to do some calculations to determine the suitability of the different final drives.

For example on the M the stock diff is 3.62, with 3.91 and 4.10 as options.
I looked at the speed/rpm through the various corners and the fact I was hitting the rev limiter up the back straight in 4th gear.
In my case the 4.10 was an easy decision after looking at the data.
Okay gotcha, I was thinking there was an actual track legality behind it but actually it may not be practical for certain sections. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Mostly if you'll run out of revs and hit redline in certain sections. I wouldn't want to have to upshift to 5th on the long straight at my favorite track. I'd rather just stay in fourth and on the throttle. With a 4.10 I'd have to go to 5th or hit the rev limiter.

A shift would mean getting off the throttle for a moment (that's going to cost me time), and having to downshift to fourth and brake from 125 to 130 to 85 to 90. It's kind of hairy going from those speeds into a that corner and heel toeing badly isn't going to be fun, at those speeds you're seriously going to unsettle the car, and not do the drivetrain or diff any favors! I'm also learning to left foot brake that corner (smoother transition) not something I can do if I've got to downshift from 5th-4th. (*** Pats self on back for pulling that off on 1/3 of laps last weekend*** )

On a different track, the 4.10 might offer some torque advantages and offer a better match for the type of speeds you'd be seeing in corners and between them. On some tracks the speed range for a particular gear might be more optimal with a different ratio.

See here and you'll get a better picture. Always trade offs!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1
Ah I see. I was looking at it from more of a street use perspective where I'm not often over 100 mph. I really should try the track though. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I agree, my shop told me I could probably do it myself, but I look at this car like it's a '64 Ferrari GTO for some reason haha. I may do it on my 325i though. I really don't mind the higher revs, even with the exhaust I have.

I see you're in Kitchener, if you ever need some nice rural back roads, give Goodwood a try. And if you see a moron in a Z4 running through gears like he's in a Le Mans series, it's probably me lol.
Sure always looking for new roads to terrorize
Give me some road numbers so I can look them up
If you ever get West of T.O. give the Hockley Rd a try. It's a great 30 minute or so drive from one end to the other with lots of off camber corners and switch backs.
Nice little restaurant in the town of Hockley for a snack and beverage.

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Sure always looking for new roads to terrorize
Give me some road numbers so I can look them up
If you ever get West of T.O. give the Hockley Rd a try. It's a great 30 minute or so drive from one end to the other with lots of off camber corners and switch backs.
Nice little restaurant in the town of Hockley for a snack and beverage.

Wow that looks pretty tastey. That's going to be next for me, maybe tomorrow actually. My go-to place near me is 1697 - 2224 Consession Rd 9, Durham. 10 kms of tight windy bliss
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

What am I missing? Every time I have looked it's been around 2k+ for a new diff. Can you do it for less? ~600 is a no brainier!
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think you're missing LSD.