ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Getting the car into "Ready Mode"

Just some heads up information, not sure if it's been covered here already.

I just got back from the dealership to get my secondary cats replaced under warranty. I asked the service advisor if the car was in ready mode yet, or if i had to drive around indefinitely until the ECU has time to check everything. My service advisor called over a tech in a lab coat (first time I've seen that). He hooked up my car to a bluetooth ODB-II dongle and pulled the information up on an iPad. He said that the car's not in ready mode yet. Here are the steps to get it to ready mode as quickly as possible:

- Keep the car under 3,000 RPM at all times (lots of short shifting). If the car goes over 3,000 RPM, i must pull over, turn the car off, and back on again.

- Drive between 55 and 60 miles for at least 1/2 hour.

- Then take the car through all RPMs and various speeds as I would "drive normally" (wink).

He said these are the normal steps to get it to ready mode as quickly as possible if the car is in good running condition. If there is a problem with the o2 sensors or something else, the car may continue having problems getting into ready mode (or will throw a SES/CEL light).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

As weird as those procedures sound, seems like there might be something to it. See:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf
      10-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

From my experience in the M3 and monitoring the states with my code reader as I drove, the key was to start the car and immediately get on the freeway without letting the RPMs get too high before u got on the freeway. Then cruise grandma style at 55mph for a good 10 to 15minutes. What I found was that most checks become "ready" very easily. Its only one or two stubborn checks that keep the car from becoming "ready". These one or two stubborn checks are the ones that you accomplish by going 55mph grandma style.

On Beta's link, the hard part is the 40-60mph portion. If you don't do this specific grandma style driving your car can go weeks without becoming ready. Just do that one grandma part and it only takes 30 minutes to get the car into a "ready" state. That was with the M3 and is probably very similar with our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
This seems a little tedious and something the dealer should do for you. What if someone lives in the city and cant go driving 60mph for 30 minutes. That sounds like something that should be done on a dyno...
      10-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Just relaying what he told me, and at quick glance of that PDF, it sounds pretty accurate. The first time I took it in, I drove almost 500 miles before the service engine soon light came back on....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep

BTW, tested the method out, and it worked. Last time it took almost 500 miles for me to get to ready mode, (which actually ended up with me getting another CEL). this time, i was just about around 75 miles by the time i got to the service station, and my car was in ready mode, and i was able to pass emissions.

Last edited by p1nk50ck; 10-22-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0