ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Forced Induction in hot humid weather

Some background info....
04 3 litre with 94k miles VF Engineering supercharger.

I was having EML limp mode problems originally from a rich tune which has been sorted to some extent by VF through a retune but still running rich which I will attempt to improve with a ram-air type intake scoop built behind the lower grille and ducted to the charge pipe through smooth interior flex pipe.
My AFR's are around 11-11.5 under WOT conditions. The EML limp mode is solved for now.

This past week was very humid and hot in my area and one evening on the way home from work the AFR did not move, pegged at 10 all the way home under part throttle and the car felt very sluggish.
After researching the term heat soak kept coming up and that water/ meth injection was a way to combat heat soak.

Have you other guys with FI experienced the heat soak and how did you combat it?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I would check for boost leaks first. 11-11.5 AFR is ok under WOT. 10's are too rich. WMI (water/meth injection) will make the car run cooler but richer, since the meth acts as both a fuel and octane booster. I plan to add it at some point, along with cams and a smaller pulley.

My car ran well with VF's latest tune, until the supercharger started howling Hope you track down the issue!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Thanks Josh,

Yea it was a strange occurrence I have ran the car in hotter weather for longer periods with no problems.
I will check for boost leaks.

I will be fabricating the ram air duct this winter it can only help the AFR.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0