ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Porsche Sport Driving School

Just returned from the Masters two day course over at Barber Motorsports park. Having been to the skip barber racing and advance racing programs, I got to skip the preliminary course, but I think "Masters" is a bit of an overstatement.

Nevertheless, the course was really fun and the instructors were great. A bit of intermediate instruction that I already had but seat time is seat time. I must say it was first class treatment all the way. First the breakfast and lunch everyday was catered. At skip barber we had no breakfast and lunch was Subway. Driving on track was windows up a/c on and every car and ventilated seats. That was a new experience.

Every car had a video system that captured the driver and the road ahead along with all the telemetry and lap time info you could want.

Every car driven was the same as off the showroom floor. Not even track pads or fluid. The cars handled the conditions without the slightest issue. Most of the time was in a 991s with some time in the 981s cayman. We got to drive the new GT3 and Turbo S on track, but it was a lead follow not open track time.

Lots of fun and great instruction. I would not hesitate to go back for the Masters Plus course.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
What does something like that cost if you don't mind me asking?
      07-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

What did you think of the 981s compared to the Z4Mc? I've been trying to convince myself not to hit the local Porsche dealer for a test drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
What does something like that cost if you don't mind me asking?
This particular course is 4,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
What did you think of the 981s compared to the Z4Mc? I've been trying to convince myself not to hit the local Porsche dealer for a test drive...
I love it. But it is very different from the z4mc. They are so different, the only comparable element is the acceleration. Both are quick and not fast. The mid engine layout is way more balanced and predictable. The feel of the steering is more precise but lacks the feedback and visceral feeling you get in the m coupe. I'm a little jaded because I've made my z4 so track focused, but the 981s feels like a much more competent and comfortable dual purpose car. With that said, it's part of the reason I put my m coupe for sale. The 981 is that good at both. But the truth is every time I get the m coupe on the road I remember that the feeling of its steering chassis and manual shifter and having you back against the back wheels feeling the car rotate is just hard to give up.

Don't know if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Great description! Thanks Krypptic.
Appreciate 0