ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Please take the time to read what I (and others) wrote on that (since you said you didn't read those posts). I would literally be repeating those long posts here.
I will, and I may copy some here for farther discussions. I have to work in a few so got to get ready, I will get back here later after I read those comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
I agree that to a extent they do take in account, but how would they know what I drive, and the experience that I have etc... they have to go by an average. My car handles above average and my experience is above average (not being an smart ass here tho) so ....
Yes, posted speed limits are not tailored to individuals, but if you are close to them, your chances of driving off the exit of a turn because you hit debris are much much lower. If someone gets hurt in such a situation, did the confidence you have in yourself and car worth the injuries? What is more important? Enjoying your sports car, or the increased possibility of someone getting seriously hurt?
      04-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
I will, and I may copy some here for farther discussions. I have to work in a few so got to get ready, I will get back here later after I read those comments.
OK. Also read what I wrote about how I found myself in a situation when someone got hurt because I wasn't careful enough making a left turn in the dark, and how that experience altered my perspective.
      04-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

And to add to the speed limit discussion. I am not necessarily stating that speed limits are absolute measures. A permenant 55mph speed limit on a smooth straight empty interstate probably does not do much to reduce public risk. But I drive close to the limit pretty much anywhere else--much more so than I did before--and have found it to be useful. Owning an E92 M3 also affected my thinking. Initially, it was a fun toy, but then I started thinking that it was kind of problematic in terms of the temptation. Too much car.

As I said in the other thread, there is measured fun to be had with these cars in certain conditions. But one needs to be able to see the conditions ahead, and drive such that one can react in a timely manner. Undivided highways, traffic, residential areas, blind or partial visibility turns, bad weather are all reasons for minding your speed.

Last edited by lucid; 04-09-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0