ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Another wrecked M, story and picture.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/drive...ad-canyon.html

Last edited by MetMan; 04-05-2011 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
That's this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511204

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Didn't see that thread, my prayers go out to the occupants.
      04-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
prayers to "Carlos"

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
The driver, a 17-year-old from Coto de Caza, was headed north on Live Oak Canyon Road when he apparently entered a curve at a high rate of speed,
Quote:
The speed limit through the winding road is 35 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
I was braking from 50...probably hit the tree at 35-40.

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Swanicyouth
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M

A 17 year old drives an M Roadster?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

I wonder what kind of troubles he will be getting into in a near future confessing this

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
actually it was a coup, the roof was cut off to remove the passinger.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In Coto de Caza, that's considered a beater!
      04-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
I wonder what kind of troubles he will be getting into in a near future confessing this
Since he's confessed to doing 15 over, his (parents?) insurance premiums will increase.

He's most likely going to get sued by Carlos or his estate. It's not going to be personal, but someone's insurance isn't going to pay enough, and for Carlos or his estate to recover medical bills, he/it is probably going to have to sue the driver to get at the insurance company's money. I've seen children (via parents) suing their siblings to recover from the insurance company, so it's nothing personal, but posting these confessions on the board won't help anything.

Hopefully, it won't come to this. At least alcohol wasn't involved.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

What he disclosed on this forum is most likely in the police report (as in he most likely told them same things to the police officers). Even if he hasn't, it is not as if the speed of the vehicle prior to the accident cannot be determined based on the aftermath of the impact. An expert can come up with a realistic estimate. He clearly wasn't doing 30mph, was he? Apart from that, he has not disclosed any information that can be used against him really. It's not as if he said he was racing or drunk.
      04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

My thoughts and hopes go out to the passenger and SSK92. I really feel for the SSK92 as this is as this is probably one of the hardest things he will ever go through in his life. It would be nice to be able to rewind the event and avoid it, but sadly life does not work that way. I really hope this ends with his friend making a full recovery. I truely feel for this guy.

I've got to wonder what the SSK92's parents were thinking with this car. HP + youth is a combination that too often ends badly. The greater the performance of the car the greater the chance of something bad happening IMO. And the M coupe has a short wheelbase and is not what I consider a forgiving car (wonderful car to drive, but must be respected). I was such an idiot when I was younger I hate to think what would have happened with a powerful car (instead I had a 35 HP oil driniking Datsun B210 that could barely make it up a hill). But it was a good car for me.

The stretch of road where this occured is infamous for accidents and fatalities. The narrow oak tree covered road and corners do not offer any grace to those who make mistakes. Something like 150 or so injuries and deaths since 1989. 6 fatalities since 2007, and a lot more over the past 10 years.

Trabuco Canyon

Live Oak

Again, I hope a full recovery takes place and I hope others will hopefully learn from this as well. I for one will be playing it even more safe on the road and explore the capabilities of this car at the track.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

It's easy to get swept up by the power. The only good place to play with them is on the track. Public roads with pedestrians, bicyclists, slower cars... and trees are no place for that kind of play. I just hope a lesson is learned and daddy doesn't bail him out of a useful learning experience. Unfortunately a lot of these kids have no connection between action, reaction and responsibility. Quite sad. I hope the best for Carlos and that SSK92 will be a wiser person for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

It's easy to point fingers and blame in this case, but I have to say, when I was 17 I've done far STUPIDER (is that even a word?) things in far less powerful cars. I was inches away from killing myself and my 3 passengers in my 120hp Acura Integra when I tried to make a free-way off-ramp at 80+ mph last minute. We were literally inches away from a 60' drop at ludicrous speed before the front tires bit in and allowed me to steer back into a bunch of icy plants on the side of the freeway. We slid for what must seem like an eternity and ended up hundreds of feet away from where we left the freeway...

But hit absolutely NOTHING. Replaced two front tires that blew out and a heavily soiled pair of pants and went on our way.

Not saying the car doesn't offer you any temptations, but when you're 17? You don't need much to tempt you to go much faster than your skills allow.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
What he disclosed on this forum is most likely in the police report (as in he most likely told them same things to the police officers). Even if he hasn't, it is not as if the speed of the vehicle prior to the accident cannot be determined based on the aftermath of the impact. An expert can come up with a realistic estimate. He clearly wasn't doing 30mph, was he? Apart from that, he has not disclosed any information that can be used against him really. It's not as if he said he was racing or drunk.
Sure, but I'm just saying that the rule of thumb is just to not admit anything, anywhere. Let their expert say you were going too fast--then get your own expert to refute them. (eg: their expert:he was clearly going faster than 45 in a 35. your expert: no, at most 35, see...he hit this wet patch back here and lost control...) Reasonable people can believe just about anything. A reasonable jury can differ, but not when you have admitted fault.

Anyway, you might be right. He probably already spilled the beans to the authorities and anyone that matters, but there's a reason that a many people on here are apprehensive for the kid for putting up all this information.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Yes, it is better to be silent in such a situation in general. But I don't see how any reasonable jury will believe this happened while he was doing no more than 35mph (the speed limit is public information), which will be supported by expert opinion if need be if it is not already established in the police report. My "guess" is that the speed was actually higher than stated here. Anyway, the lawyers can, and most likely will, duke that out.
      04-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Not saying the car doesn't offer you any temptations, but when you're 17? You don't need much to tempt you to go much faster than your skills allow.
That's a good point Hack. I found my "underpowered" car more than enough to get me into trouble due to my actions. Fortunately like you I was lucky enough to escape what a few seconds of bad judgement caused me without any physical consequences to me or the car (luck being the imperitive word there).

On the other hand that car took an eternity (probably 20 seconds) to get up to 60 MPH, and that fact saved my ass more than a few times because it was harder to get the car out of the range of my very limited (but self-inflated) skills. Only my narrow escape caused me to mend my ways. But you're right, at 17 it's just all to easy to put yourself in a position that can end up being tragic no matter what you're driving.

Edit: SSK92 has updated his thread. His friend is doing better and recovering. There's quite a post by SSK over there as well. Very sobering and reflective.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-05-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
CJR926
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

As cameronmac said on SSKE92's post, I too also know him personally and can't put it better than he did about not being anything like your average teenager. On the other hand @Metman this isn't the time for jokes and pointing fingers towards stereotypes seeing as the passenger is still considered critical.

I too live in coto and we live in an average 3200 sqft house without a pool bar and a limo to bring is everywhere as portrayed on The Real Housewives of Orange County. I drive a 99 camry handed down from my dad and thank you @ Finnegan for making a valid point.

I got a ticket a month after receiving my license for an "unsafe start". All teenagers are tempted to do stupid things. SSKE92 is the safest teen driver I have ever met. He's modest with his car and as said in the original post, he reacted like he was taught for this situation but given the road conditions, the car didn't respond. Any car he ever drives he drives with hands @ 9
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
CJR926
Private
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
CJR926
Private
United_States
Rep

It kept cutting off due to not registering my e-mail but here is the rest:
&12 eyes always on the road. This doesn't make him invincible but that's the reason he isn't dead like two kids last year in a mustang.

My last point to make is at Hogzilla. Being 17 years old, you can't even speak for yourself in a court of law, let alone "bail yourself out"! Of course his parents will have to pay whatever comes their way and that's the risk they chose when deciding to have a child. And hiding the true facts of an accident like this shows selfishness. Especially if our friend doesn't come through, it takes a selfish person to plead not guilty when they know deep down that it really was their fault.
Were all waiting to hear good news of Carlos. And we don't need to be lectured on irresponsibility. As teens we don't have that fear factor just by looking at something. But I can assure you that seeing our friend on life support is a big enough eye opener.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Coming from Coto de Caza (Kobe Bryant's hood btw), it's probably low-end.

I will refrain from preaching about 17-yr-olds totaling powerful cars at (apparent) unsafe speeds. Instead I will simply wish Carlos a speedy recovery.
      04-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #22
anjy jackson
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 2003

wrong drive in wrong hands i guess.
Appreciate 0