ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Question about Tires and Pumps

Hello, the recent post about the portable jack got me thinking about tires and blowouts...I just purchased my '07 CPO Z4 from a BMW dealership about 3 weeks ago. At the time of purchase the dealership installed 4 new run flats (I know lucky me ) The salesman, of course, was more than happy to share with me the cost of the tires to show what a good deal I was getting. The good news is the new tires, the bad news is...damn are they expensive.

He didn't offer me the option of adding on the Tire and Wheel Insurance, which from what I've read here should have been offered to me. I called the company who actually under-writes the insurance and they said it has to be offered at the time of sale. This makes sense, but sucks for me if I wanted it.

So, now I'm left kind of worrying about running over a nail and having to shell out $500 to replace the RFT. I've read that there is some disagreement about repairing the RFT, but most say it's ok.

Seems like I missed the boat on the tire insurance, so what should I keep with me in the car? I might sound dumb, but I've never had a RFT before (or a BMW for that matter). Does anyone carry a portable pump with them in the truck...I'm not even sure how the spare tire would even fit in the truck for those who don't run RFT's. I read something about a BMW roadside kit for the 3 series...what is it?

I plan on driving the car quite a bit this summer, and I want to make sure I'm ok if I hit a nail.

Also, has anyone ever had 4 RFT's and then replace one damaged tire with a non-RFT?

Thanks,
SR
      04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
h100250
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2003 3.0 Z4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_rush View Post
Hello, the recent post about the portable jack got me thinking about tires and blowouts...I just purchased my '07 CPO Z4 from a BMW dealership about 3 weeks ago. At the time of purchase the dealership installed 4 new run flats (I know lucky me ) The salesman, of course, was more than happy to share with me the cost of the tires to show what a good deal I was getting. The good news is the new tires, the bad news is...damn are they expensive.

He didn't offer me the option of adding on the Tire and Wheel Insurance, which from what I've read here should have been offered to me. I called the company who actually under-writes the insurance and they said it has to be offered at the time of sale. This makes sense, but sucks for me if I wanted it.

So, now I'm left kind of worrying about running over a nail and having to shell out $500 to replace the RFT. I've read that there is some disagreement about repairing the RFT, but most say it's ok.

Seems like I missed the boat on the tire insurance, so what should I keep with me in the car? I might sound dumb, but I've never had a RFT before (or a BMW for that matter). Does anyone carry a portable pump with them in the truck...I'm not even sure how the spare tire would even fit in the truck for those who don't run RFT's. I read something about a BMW roadside kit for the 3 series...what is it?

I plan on driving the car quite a bit this summer, and I want to make sure I'm ok if I hit a nail.

Also, has anyone ever had 4 RFT's and then replace one damaged tire with a non-RFT?

Thanks,
SR
Don't do the mix bag thing with tires, keep them all the same type, I think discount tire has an online source that is fairly cheap if you need to shop for tires. As for repairing them I was told it depends on the type of damage, and they usually can be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
beamon
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

If there is a Discount Tire near where you live, you can actually buy replacement insurance for the tires (even if you didn't buy the tires from Discount Tire). I have replaced at least three tires for free or prorated cost over the years due to flat tires. The insurance is usually $15-$40 per tire depending on the cost of your tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
Don't do the mix bag thing with tires, keep them all the same type, I think discount tire has an online source that is fairly cheap if you need to shop for tires. As for repairing them I was told it depends on the type of damage, and they usually can be fixed.
+1 on mixing and fixing. I got zapped with a large BOLT in one of my rears within 100 miles of purchase. Lots of cussin going on that morning. Thats when I found out BMW will not repair rft's, period. First flat Ive had in ten years with 3-4 cars at the house. Freakin Karma, doing a test drive on my patience. Fortunately,after having the car towed and speaking politely with the wonderful BMW folks, it was pretty much dead center. I plugged, inflated and rolled. Now, 10k later I'm at min tread depth, so its about time for replacement.
I have plug/slime/compressor kits (Wally world, about $50-60 each) along with basic tool kits(not the BMW ones) in both cars, but this is the only one I have with no spare. I also carry AAA and BMWCCA premium. Something or somebody will get me home. Welcome, brother. I think we all go through this. Dont stress, plan up front for the worst, hope for the best and just drive it like you stole it. Thats what puts a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0