ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Engine upgrade/refurb.. head gasket?

Late to the party, i know, but having just read this and also the M3 link that Byron posted up, ( http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=547883 ) I am pretty darn glad i got new shrick dlc followers with my soon to be installed shrick cams.

These pics are pulled from that M3 thread… very disturbing…

All 3 pictures reproduced here without permission nor consent, for thread completeness.

EX2r and EX6r… holy crap!!! Langy was quoted as saying that from going through its protective coating to being flat like these would take only a mater of hours, the noise going from slight to loud.

wow, just very worrying indeed.. i wonder how my followers will look at 200K plus kilometres, with a bunch of track days thrown in.

Now about the Head gasket, is this something I should be looking at?? and if so, why?

Edit: I just got off the blower with my Indi, and the head gasket is a big job.. (he says) its not just the gasket, but if going that way will need, Head skimming, and valve grinding, but as the donk is already half apart, will save 1/2 the time on labour..

whats the consensus on this? Is a leak down test in order first? I have over 200k kilometres on my S54

No issues with the car at all, runs like a sewing machine, all preventive..

The other thing that worries me a little is the fact that i am not sure that dubai has a shop capable of skimming heads to the limits required, although my Indi assures that he has a shop thats very capable.

just gathering all the info before my car goes from the roller shop to my indies shop. for cams and vanos. so i have time..

would love some info here guys..

Last edited by Vanne; 07-06-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

"the M3 link that Byron"

..... Not seeing link
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Fixed, its a repost link from that /other/ forum across the pond. Its actually quite a good read.
      07-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks
I still surf through that forum on occasion but missed that topic.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

skimming a head is a very common practice on engines when replacing a head gasket, so there usually is an automotive specialized machine shop around to do that. How much there has to be skimmed is far more important.

But why does the head have to come off?
You have a blown head gasket? Oil useage?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Bedankt for popping in Guidok,

There are zero issues with my car aside from being high milage. no oil usage (don't drive enough to notice anyway), but thought due to the milage it may be a good idea to have at least a leak down test while i have to top of the engine apart anyways..
      07-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Yes a leakdown test never hurts. Although leaks can go up (valves/stemseals) down (rings) or sideways (gasket). but its a first pointer to look for faults non destructively

But regarding removing the head: if it aint broke..
Removing the head is never without risk. Now it fits snug, but under tension. Remove it and the tension might result in warp requiring a skim. And refitting a different head gasket might not have such a long life, aluminium head on steel block is always difficult.
This current gasket/dir obviously is a good one looking at the miles.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Thanks G,

any idea of the sort of numbers i should be looking for in the leak down test (never have done one before) whats good and whats bad?