ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Cortes2141
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4M

Consolidating Camshaft Information

Hey guys, after searching around for awhile, it seems that our forum has a lack of centralized knowledge on aftermarket cams. I am hoping everyone can throw in what they know here. Donovan, I know you sell Schrick cams, I would love to hear your knowledge on them.

First a couple of questions. I believe our OEM cams are 280 intake/272 exhaust with a 12mm lift. What makes the Schrick 280/272s better than stock? Is it only the fact that they offer 12.5mm lift or are the cams lighter, stronger, or what?

Secondly, I found these VAC cams that claim to be for supercharged S54, however, they are also 280/272. What makes them better for SC and are 288/280s and option for those with FI and why?

Additonally, here is a link to download a decent manual on our engines.
And here is a decent set of videos to that explain all the technical specifications of cams.

Last edited by Cortes2141; 06-16-2016 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Added some decent videos to explain some tech specs for the less informed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I definitely do not confess to be any kind of expert on the subject of cams , but during my brief research on nonM cams, a supercharged engine is more susceptible to increased overlap of the intake and exhaust cam.
Meaning you do not want too much overlap otherwise the increased pressure escapes during the overlapped exhaust cycle and the effect of the supercharging is diminished.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

^exactly.
When air is forced in (at higher speed) overlap should be less.

Also I think that only csl cams are 280/272 and stock are 260 or something.
schrick wouldnt make oem spec cams I presume, no market. (at least not on non special order)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Cortes2141
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
^exactly.
When air is forced in (at higher speed) overlap should be less.

Also I think that only csl cams are 280/272 and stock are 260 or something.
schrick wouldnt make oem spec cams I presume, no market. (at least not on non special order)
I think you're right. OEM maybe 260/260. and the Schrick 272/280 are sport, CSL is 280/288 though, I'm pretty sure.
Appreciate 0