ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Resetting Fault Codes in Software

OK, I have my cable and software (DIS, INPA, NCS, etc) up and running and have done some very basic coding so far (changed odo to kms, tap for three blink lane change, etc). I am finding it all a little overwhelming to go any further but want to read out any fault codes, clear them (since I just bought the car in Nov, not sure if these are old), and then check back to see which ones, if any, return.

For you coding pros, which software should I use to read and reset and how do I do it? I did do a quick test in DIS and got the results but even that I find a little confusing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

IMHO, run DIS Quick Test, amuse yourself with the results, but don't get concerned about them, clear everything, then test it again in 2-4 weeks.

The various modules store everything that has ever happened, or they thought happened, so the first run may have a lot of weird stuff, mostly marked "fault no longer present". Unfortunately, they're not date/time stamped.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon
IMHO, run DIS Quick Test, amuse yourself with the results, but don't get concerned about them, clear everything, then test it again in 2-4 weeks.

The various modules store everything that has ever happened, or they thought happened, so the first run may have a lot of weird stuff, mostly marked "fault no longer present". Unfortunately, they're not date/time stamped.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. How do I clear the codes in DIS though?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

There is an option to clear codes/faults the same window as Quick test if I remember the screen view. I have Nav Coder.. Registered copy. Easier to check for fault codes and faster too.... as well as code the options available as you have done Having used DIS myself. DIS helps you diagnosis the case of faults noted though which is plus for it.