ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Need some advice

Here's the situation. I just got back from the dealer and they have informed me that I have 1 x bent rear wheel, and I need 1 x front tire, 1 x rear tire!

So, I could just purchase 2 x driver side front and rear tire, 1 x new rear alloy wheel....I guess that would be the easiest.

However, is it smart to replace just 1 x tire per side? The tires have about 15k miles on them (Continental DWS)

Now, I would rather just get new wheels and tires all around, but I'm leaving in 4 months for a 6-month tour of Afghanistan and I don't want new tires to develop flat spots.....

So, what do you all think I should do?

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

I'd buy a whole set of complete crap used tires, drive on them until you leave to appreciate just how nice sport spece'd tires are (I didn't appreciate them until I did this lol), then worry about the new tires upon your return.

And I thank you for your service!

EDIT: When I say "complete crap" I certainly don't mean go and buy tires that have 5% tread left Keep it safe ofcourse, but save a few bucks while you're at it.

Last edited by OdomPHD; 08-30-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I think I am giong to just wait it out....I think I should replace that wheel anyways though.....3 x OEM wheels aren't going to do me any good.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

I have an '06 as well, and my OEM wheels through my local repairshop were only $100 a peice. So when the wifey crub rashed both of my left wheels FUBAR style, I just had the shop replace both OEM wheels with new ones, then immediately ordered new custom wheels. Then, I put the same brand and approximately same tread tires on the two new wheels from a selection of used tires at my junkyard (took 15 minutes rifling through them to find the ones I wanted, not everyone gets so lucky every time).

I kept the OEM ones a few weeks with used tires, then had my new wheels and tires installed with spacers. Now I have my OEM wheels with tires that have ~75% tread and aren't RFT, whilst I ride with a set of RFT on 19s. The 19s with RFT feel real rough compared to 17" non RFT, so if I or the significant other take a road trip and need to use the Bimmer I swap wheels out in a half hour for a more enjoyable ride.

I plan to reinstall OEM wheels and keep my custom ones when I re sell, so even though the quality and cleanliness of my OEM wheels is good, I really don't care if they're perfect. So if I were you, I'd just replace the one bent wheel (if the others are all to your satisfaction) go with used tires (cheapest option if you want to get new wheels anyways) and then get some new wheels when you feel ready.

Also, while you're deployed, try and get someone to drive your car a few miles once or twice a week if possible. Oh, and unplug the batt. in the trunk before you take off and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, too. A lot of forum goers call it going overboard, but I like to think of these steps as necessary precautions to protect my investment haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I plan to pump up the tires a bit too. I think I'm going to just park the car for now anyways, but replace the wheel. I'm running the Conti DWS and I absolutely love those tires! They were awesome in the heavy winters we have had here in Kentucky. Plus, when I get back, it will be June and time for some nice summer tires/aftermarket wheels

Appreciate 0