ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Thanks! I stopped pulling when it didn't want to come off. I will try again as shown in the link.
      03-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
By the way, this reminds me. I brought new bumper support brackets for both left and right side since the bumper was sagging a little. Upon installing the new ones, I could not for the life of me get the bumper to snap back in. The 2 outer most tabs would snap in but never the middle one. I even resorted to shaving off a micro layer off the tabs with a razor blade but still no dice.

I then pulled out the flash light and took a close look at the bumper brackets. I couldn't compare it to the old one because by then I had already broken them into a million pieces BUT I noticed the new brackets have these nubs inside that block the bumper from snapping back in. I don't know if this is a new design but it basically required me to pull out the dremel and create 2 new slots in the bumper to clip in. The bumper already has 1 slot... Using the Mr. Rogers's pics, the left circle shows where the existing slot is. The 2 to the right were where I had to create new ones.
Attached Images

03-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
^ +1

i had the same issue when going to the aero cover on the 3.0si... fixed in 5 sec with a drill and a spiral cut bit.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
^ +1

i had the same issue when going to the aero cover on the 3.0si... fixed in 5 sec with a drill and a spiral cut bit.
Unfortunately it's been so long I had the normal bumper I couldn't recall if the 3.0si bumper had those grooves cut in. Whack!
      03-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
jdtorreride
Rep
Drives: Interlogos Blue Z4M Coupe

M coupe bumper removal

Thanks for the this thread on bumper removal. I'm in the process of removing my coupes bumper and have of couple of questions before I continue with the removal. First under the lower edge of the bumper I removed a total of four 8mm bolts which are located on the underside of the fangs, two on each side. I also removed three screws located between the fangs. Are these the correct and screws/bolts that you are referring to? Also I attempted to pull off the bumper by the headlight with a good amount of force and it did not budge. Are there any tricks that might help me get the bumper separated from the fender. I did grab the bumper below the clip that holds the two together. Should I pull forward, down or out to get them to separate? How about carefully prying the two apart with a screwdriver?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtorreride View Post
Thanks for the this thread on bumper removal. I'm in the process of removing my coupes bumper and have of couple of questions before I continue with the removal. First under the lower edge of the bumper I removed a total of four 8mm bolts which are located on the underside of the fangs, two on each side. I also removed three screws located between the fangs. Are these the correct and screws/bolts that you are referring to? Also I attempted to pull off the bumper by the headlight with a good amount of force and it did not budge. Are there any tricks that might help me get the bumper separated from the fender. I did grab the bumper below the clip that holds the two together. Should I pull forward, down or out to get them to separate? How about carefully prying the two apart with a screwdriver?
You removed the 7 underneath the bumper but you also have to remove the ones on top (lift hood) as well as the ones on each side by the fender liner. Did you follow the guide on page 1?
      03-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Quote:
Just pull out in a horizontal movement away from the fender, wiggle it a little back and forth. Eventually it will come off. Do not use a screw driver - you might end up breaking those fragile brakets...

03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #30
jdtorreride
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
DO NOT PULL THE BRACKET. The bracket is meant to stay on and if you PULL It, it will BREAK and you can't reuse

Hold UNDERNEATH the bracket and grab BUMPER ONLY. Click on link below, Shipkiller shows where you should be grabbing:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=450
I'm also having difficulty getting the bumper to separate from the fender. Is there a specific direction I should be pulling on the cover. Any tricks to getting them to separate other than grabbing the bumper below the bracket. I'm afraid to break something if I pull too hard. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm also having difficulty getting the bumper to separate from the fender. Is there a specific direction I should be pulling on the cover. Any tricks to getting them to separate other than grabbing the bumper below the bracket. I'm afraid to break something if I pull too hard. Any tips?
In post 27 you only mention the 7 screws beneath the bumper, did you remove other screws and rivets???
      03-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
jdtorreride
Rep

Yes I believe all the attaching hardware is removed. I just want to verify that the lower attaching points consist of 4 8mm bolts and 3 philphs head screws. I will give it another try
pulling away from the fender in a horizontal fashion while wiggling.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
jdtorreride
Rep

Success! Pulling horizontally will wiggling worked. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
herragge
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
By the way, this reminds me. I brought new bumper support brackets for both left and right side since the bumper was sagging a little. Upon installing the new ones, I could not for the life of me get the bumper to snap back in. The 2 outer most tabs would snap in but never the middle one. I even resorted to shaving off a micro layer off the tabs with a razor blade but still no dice.

I then pulled out the flash light and took a close look at the bumper brackets. I couldn't compare it to the old one because by then I had already broken them into a million pieces BUT I noticed the new brackets have these nubs inside that block the bumper from snapping back in. I don't know if this is a new design but it basically required me to pull out the dremel and create 2 new slots in the bumper to clip in. The bumper already has 1 slot... Using the Mr. Rogers's pics, the left circle shows where the existing slot is. The 2 to the right were where I had to create new ones.
Quick follow up question about the plastic support brackets. Why is it that the new support brackets didn't have allocations for the tabs from the bumper already? Is it the wrong part number? I have them as: 51117165179, 51117165180. My reference is http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=17
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #35
rsk
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 Roadster

HI

I am not able to see the images in the first post with the instructions. can someone pls tell me ho I can see those pictures.

Thanks
rsk
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #36
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I can see them, so the links aren't broke.

Can you see this?

Name:  CIMG7697.jpg
Views: 4298
Size:  61.7 KB
      08-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #37
rsk
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I can see them, so the links aren't broke.

Can you see this?

Attachment 905238

Yes I can see this pic, but not the pics in the very first post. They look like broken links to me.

Thanks
rsk
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #38
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Hmmm. Very odd.
Well, I posted that pic because that's the only hard part.
Get your fingers in there and yank 'till it hurts.
The rest should be evident without pics.
      08-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #39
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Actually that pic leads to breaking the clip if you aren't carful.
The clip extends down where he has it gripped.
Grip it lower & also use a plastics trim removal tool.
It needs to pry down & out at the same time.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #40
drMikeZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_roger
In my recent project of converting my standard Z4 bumper to a Z4M front bumper, I decided it would be good time to also create a new DIY for removing the front bumper. The old DIY (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63034), as descriptive as it may be, has dead links to its pictures.

So with intention to provide our community with a new resource, here is my writeup for a standard Z4 front bumper removal:

Overview:
First you need to understand how the front bumper is attached to the body. It is held on by 7 hex screws along the top edge in the engine compartment, 4 expanding tabs along each fenderwell, and 7 8mm screws along the underside of the front bumper edge. The sides of the bumper snap into place where it meets with the fender.

Tools required:
-Screwdriver with hex bits -or- allen wrench crank tool from BMW tool kit.
-Tiny screwdriver (size of a toothpick)
-8mm socket or wrench
-confidence

Step 1:

Start by removing the expanding tabs along each fenderwell. These tabs function by having a small plastic rod become inserted down the middle, causing the tab to expand and lock in place. To remove these tabs, take the tiny screwdrive and PUSH the rods all the way in until you hear them fall. Don't worry, you'll be able to recover them when the bumper is removed.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7688.jpg[/IMG]

Now it's loose
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7692.jpg[/IMG]

Remove the 7 remaining tabs from both fender wells in the same manner.

Step 2:

Remove the 7 8mm screws/bolts along the underside of the front bumper. These are pretty straightforward.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7695.jpg[/IMG]

Step 3:

Pull off the sides of the bumper where it meets the fender. You may have to give it some force, but after some firm pulls and it should eventually pop off.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7697.jpg[/IMG]

Step 4:

Remove the 7 hex screws along the top edge of the front bumper. This should be done last, because these 7 screws are all that's holding your bumper in place at this point. Using your Screwdriver with hex bit, simply remove the screws. Watch out, they may be a little tight.

OPTION 2: If you do not have a hex screwdriver handy (like i did), I discovered that this allen-wrench crank tool thingy from the supplied emercency tool kit actually fits into the hex screws. It's not intended for this use though, because you run the risk of stripping out the allen head when it turns against the teeth in the hex screw. But as long as you're careful and don't overdo it, this tool should be able to get these screws out. This tool is made from pretty strong metal.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7698.jpg[/IMG]

Step 5:

With all the screws and hardware removed, gently pull the bumper forward a bit and disconnect the fog light harnesses (if you have fog lights). The bumper should now pull completely forward and is no longer attached to the body.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7699.jpg[/IMG]

Make sure you save this piece as well, which runs along the top edge where the hex screws were.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7700.jpg[/IMG]

With the bumper removed, you should see the 4 expanding tab pins that dropped. Save them for use later.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/CIMG7711.jpg[/IMG]

Reinstalling the bumper is the exact same process in reverse order. The expanding tabs are placed in their holes, and the pins inserted afterwards to lock them into place.

And that is how it's done.

Best,

-Roger
I noticed that my headlamp lens seems to have separated from the headlamp reflector along the bottom and looks like it needs to be snapped back in. If I remove the bumper will I be able to open the headlight assembly to push the lens back in or is this going to be a much more complicated task? Anyone know??
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #41
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

While you do have to remove the bumper to get to the headlight, your question don't really apply to this thread.

You might be able to, with the headlight removed it makes it easy to take off the back cover and poke around but the lens/glass/whatever is sealed to the housing.
      07-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #42
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Well, here's to another bump of this thread. lol Wish I had found it before removal...might've saved the clips. BUT now I have new ones aaannnnddddd.....

Getting the old, broken piece out of the fender itself. I can't figure it out. Any help is much appreciated. Once that's out, I can get the new ones in and that's one less mod from the "to be done" file and moved to the "done look how awesome it is" file haha

SIDE NOTE WHILE I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION lol

Those who have deleted the headlight washers. where did you clamp/close/whatever the fluid hose so the one that run along inside the bumper isn't there? there's a better way to formulate that question, but it's going on midnight lol cheers
      07-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #43
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Not sure about the first one...

Re the hose delete.
I just used a short 2" piece of hose and used a plug

You could also do a loop back with a T fitting
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #44
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

And that's why I ask! lol I never think of clever little things like that!

As for the broken clips....just gotta pry em out. I used a small 7-level flat head screwdriver (the next size bigger than eyeglass repair ones) and after some strong finagling I got both of them out. the screwdriver however didn't make it. Unless I plan on using screws at around a 30 degree angle lol