ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #23
z4msteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Tunes do exist that show secondary O2's as ready. It depends on the state, but there is a $10k fine around here for getting caught with such a tune.
I don't know of anyone that's been able to get a z4m o2 ready tune actually working. I've seen several vendors try but none have been successful that I'm aware of.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #24
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Nope. Such tune does not exist. Get's rid of CEL, but still doesn't display the sensors as "ready." What I would do in your case is sell the cat and get 400 cell ones to pass the OBD test and pay the guy to pass for sniffer. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to take out the exhaust, get new gaskets/nuts, and swap it back once every two years. However I've heard places not even doing sniffer at all for car years 2000+ so keep an eye out.
Or just swap ECU's with a stock ///M so the computer thinks it's YOU that passed the smog test. Don't listen to me I'm just bored at work.
Well if you are paying for a "pass" - you don't need to worry about sniffer OBD2, etc. I "passed" smog with failed emissions and a P0420 code (i.e. OBD2 failure also). Not to mention visual for the stickler (airbox/mufflers). However, it is not something I plan to repeat. Having to put all my trust and money into the integrity of a shady smog guy is iffy at best, as well as pricy. I'll eat the few bucks for a gasket or 2 and some bolts and a day spent swapping parts next time.

I just want to get rid of my check engine light if I can, but no big deal. I ran with one on my RSX for over 5 years, so it doesn't bother me that much. I may go ahead and swap the resonators in place of the cats, since I'm going to have a code anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #25
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4msteve View Post
I don't know of anyone that's been able to get a z4m o2 ready tune actually working. I've seen several vendors try but none have been successful that I'm aware of.
I agree. Everything I have read seems to make getting rid of the CEL as the cure to the problem but not really the bigger problem of it just turning out the light.

I thought the reason the U.S. headers had to have the cat in them was so the cats would heat up quickly. I believe all tests in the U.S. for smog tests (not at manufacture level) can with already hot cars. Is there a reason the correct cat in section 1, with the O2's after it, won't pass?

Will the Euro cat's (none in the header) pass all tests (no CEL, sniffer, etc)? If so I would expect aftermarket could build the same part for much less money.

Will the standard DKF - 400 (not the CA version that is estimated to be roughly $200 more) then be 49 state legal? I don't have any issues where I live but don't plan on owning the car forever and would like a system on the car that I can sell to someone else and not have to explain that it won't work in some states and that there is a tune removing the CEL.
      03-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #26
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I agree. Everything I have read seems to make getting rid of the CEL as the cure to the problem but not really the bigger problem of it just turning out the light.

I thought the reason the U.S. headers had to have the cat in them was so the cats would heat up quickly. I believe all tests in the U.S. for smog tests (not at manufacture level) can with already hot cars. Is there a reason the correct cat in section 1, with the O2's after it, won't pass?
In theory, no.

Quote:
Will the Euro cat's (none in the header) pass all tests (no CEL, sniffer, etc)? If so I would expect aftermarket could build the same part for much less money.
In theory, yes. But I have my doubts about CA, where our sniffer test requirements are most strict. I'm not willing to drop the coin to try it.

Quote:
Will the standard DKF - 400 (not the CA version that is estimated to be roughly $200 more) then be 49 state legal? I don't have any issues where I live but don't plan on owning the car forever and would like a system on the car that I can sell to someone else and not have to explain that it won't work in some states and that there is a tune removing the CEL.
Again, in theory, yes. The problem I've seen, IN MY EXPERIENCE, is that aftermarket cats are simply not up to par for the sniffer (in CA). They may work well enough for the other 49 though.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #27
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The California cats do pass the sniffer, at least on the E46 M3. I suspect the Z4M will be the same. I want to confirm before saying they do for certain.

Remember that you still have to pass visual, no matter what the OBD2 or sniffer says. This is up to the inspector. Most people never have a problem.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

On their website the picture of the S-pipe installed on the underside is not even a Z4M. That is an E46M3. You can tell by the fuel filter and the location of the bolts on the rear flange of the S-pipe (among other things). As some mentioned, I remember people complaining of the pipes bending too soon and compromising clearance. I would stay away if they can't even post a pic of the product installed on our car.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #29
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster

Do I understand correctly that CPI intends to offer a euro style S pipe in the near future for a z4m?
If so, when.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #30
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The Euro style s-pipe is the DKF s-pipe with a set of cats that will make the smog sniffers happy. It will be available as soon as someone volunteers to confirm it works.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #31
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

So for the gruppe they have not test their s pipe on a Z4M yet? But is in San Diego I would think there are lots of Z4M down there that can help with a picture and to confirm if it fits correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #32
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Any one try Gruppe S pipe yet? XD
Appreciate 0