ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Z4 Spare Tire Options?

The only option I'm coming across is the kit from LeatherZ and having a hard time spending nearly as much for my spare as I did the full set of Continentals I just put on. It also looks like Bavauto stopped carrying the spare kit. Has anyone found other options?

I have considered the mobility kit, but a chunk of metal in the road will thwart that. Lugging a spare seems the best option.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Ive heard the space saving spare from an e46 does the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
The only option I'm coming across is the kit from LeatherZ and having a hard time spending nearly as much for my spare as I did the full set of Continentals I just put on. It also looks like Bavauto stopped carrying the spare kit. Has anyone found other options?

I have considered the mobility kit, but a chunk of metal in the road will thwart that. Lugging a spare seems the best option.
Me thinks you worry way too much.

What really are the chances of you having a major tire issue that the mobility kit (or something similar) cannot fix?

In the 34 years of driving, I have only had ONE situation where I needed a spare and that's with a ton of off road 4x4 action thrown into the total.

If you are really paranoid about this, just get a AAA membership so you have roadside assistance and towing..or if you are really-really paranoid about this, go back to run-flats..

I am not trying to belittle you at all, but you really need to really look at the chances of this happening...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

^ What he said.
I have taken the spare out of all my cars since the late 90's. I have AAA and compiled my own tire repair kit. The only time I used it, was when I helped someone out on the side of the road.
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Gone but Not Forgotten

2014 M235i E.Blue Mods in Progress
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
It also looks like Bavauto stopped carrying the spare kit. Has anyone found other options?
Bavauto still carries them. Just call. I ordered one from them without the jack, just the spare tire, $191 plus shipping. They are on back order. when I called to cancel mine (becuase I found one at a local salvage yard for $100), they were due in about a week from now. They told me at that time they were expecting 80 of them to come in, and only 39 will be used to fill back orders.
      01-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Gomborombo, thanks for the info. I'll check into that.

Thanks for the insight all. I do agree and have considered what your saying. But for some reason, around here, we pick up stuff a lot. It's really more about hassle than paranoia. If, and more than likely when (historically speaking), I get a puncture I'd much rather just change the tire and keep going than sit around waiting for AAA or pumping expensive goo into the tire to keep it mobile.
Appreciate 0