ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
I didn't know I could sell my girlfriend. Bazinga $$$
in Russia...
      01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Loving this thread....

so, OP, what do you think? Trying to decide if the Z is something you want to get involved with?
      01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

I'm trying to get a feel for how much modification most guys go for. The vibe I've gotten from here is that most Z4 guys rather upgrade wheels, suspension, exhaust, a few cosmetics, and that is where it stops.

Perhaps it isn't easy to make power with these motors as it would be with the 135 (for example), where you have easy access to raise boost.

Having that limiting factor may be why you don't see too many 500 or 600 hp Z4s running around. Thus, is it because folks are afraid to modify due to the rarity of the vehicle, the limitation of OEM parts, resell value, most Z4 owners aren't mechanically inclined, or no one cares for power?

The argument of going 'round corners vs. quarter mile means little to me. Power is power for either case. I spend the majority of my time doing pulls on the road vs. racing at Pocono or Motorsports Park, thus I would want to have substantially more straight line power in the vehicle. That is where I see the aftermarket support rather limited.

I haven't seen many standalone ECUs, turbo manifolds, FMIC kits, etc (other than what HPF is pushing out). Seems like there is limited support for power hungry folks like myself. Maybe I'm wrong...
      01-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

ESS VT2-500 + 4.10 + LTW flywheel/clutch + headers = you should be able to have some fun!

You can also change for 2-way coilovers, BBK and lightweight wheels/sticky tires and you have a little track monster!

Only thing after that, add lightness!

IMO, power is the last thing that should be upgraded when modifying a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

How light have folks gotten these things, while still maintaining full interior? Under 3000lbs?
      01-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

There you go

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

^ Photo shop or real ?
      01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
^ Photo shop or real ?
Based on the article I took it from I think it's real.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/30/g...bmw-z4-a-home/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
ESS VT2-500 + 4.10 + LTW flywheel/clutch + headers = you should be able to have some fun!

You can also change for 2-way coilovers, BBK and lightweight wheels/sticky tires and you have a little track monster!

Only thing after that, add lightness!

IMO, power is the last thing that should be upgraded when modifying a car.
I second this. The reason you see less turbo and supercharger kits on these cars isn't the motor. It's the rarity of the platform and the tuning. If you buy an m3 your options open up and costs come down, and you loose the exclusive and head turning aspect of it. There are supercharges from VF , ESS and g-power and I think hpf have finally figured out the turbo setup/tuning. All of these options with put your above 500hp, and combined with simple bolt on parts with give you one hell of a car. Just don't expect Toyota supra aftermarket support.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I second this. The reason you see less turbo and supercharger kits on these cars isn't the motor. It's the rarity of the platform and the tuning. If you buy an m3 your options open up and costs come down, and you loose the exclusive and head turning aspect of it. There are supercharges from VF , ESS and g-power and I think hpf have finally figured out the turbo setup/tuning. All of these options with put your above 500hp, and combined with simple bolt on parts with give you one hell of a car. Just don't expect Toyota supra aftermarket support.
And those are the answers I'm looking for, as much as I wish they didn't agree with my initial impressions of this platform.

The aftermarket really helps with various options and more importantly, plenty of user support (tiral and error, DIYs, etc). You can practically search for any bolt on the Supra, and chances are some company has recreated it, duplicated it, made it stronger, made it out of a dozen different materials, etc. You also have plenty of examples to follow from leading tuning shops who champion their projects.

I am starting to find that support very limited for the Z4, although you would think it being based on the M3 would have a much larger aftermarket support.

I've eyed the HPF turbo path for the Z4, but for the entire cost of the upgrade, as sacrilegious as this will seem, swapping in a complete stock 2JZ motor ($2500 used), add a turbo, some fuel, and computer, and you get yourself 700 reliable hp. I like projects, and thought long and hard about doing something to that nature. For those diehard BMW fans, pretend you didn't read this
      01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd
I think hpf have finally figured out the turbo setup/tuning.
HPF has finally figured out their tuning issues? Do tell

OP, a 2JZ conversion would be a fun thread to follow. Not up everyone's alley but I say go for it. You'd certainly have unique cornered.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I think that most Z4 M owners bought their car for what it is, not for what it could be. It's a BMW ///M car and that means it's the zenith of BMW's development for that particular BMW chassis, it has the most power and the best handling. BMW's ///M Division has a legendary history, and it ain't on the drag strip!

As far as modifying, those that modify the most are probably Coupe owners who want a better track experience and heir modifications include extensive brake and suspension modifications. For the street, most modifications aim to enhance the sound, handling, and visual appearance to make the car more personalized, not necessarily for any big performance gains.

I've been into cars since I was in grade school and I've modified every car I've ever owned, most of them with aftermarket wheels and tires, intake and exhaust, and shocks and springs, but I fail to understand the desire to take a perfectly good sports car whose design philosophy includes a strong emphasis on handling and turning it into a many hundred horsepower 1/4 mile beast. It just doesn't compute in my book.

If you really want to gain horsepower in a BMW you would start with any of the turbo-charged models, i.e., the 135i, the 335i, even the Z4 35is, put in a JB4 tune for less than a grand, and you've instantly got over 400 HP. Add a downpipe, meth, etc. and you can get more.

It's too bad you missed the 50's and 60's because that's when most of this was being done and most people didn't care about handling.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #35
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
And those are the answers I'm looking for, as much as I wish they didn't agree with my initial impressions of this platform.

The aftermarket really helps with various options and more importantly, plenty of user support (tiral and error, DIYs, etc). You can practically search for any bolt on the Supra, and chances are some company has recreated it, duplicated it, made it stronger, made it out of a dozen different materials, etc. You also have plenty of examples to follow from leading tuning shops who champion their projects.

I am starting to find that support very limited for the Z4, although you would think it being based on the M3 would have a much larger aftermarket support.

I've eyed the HPF turbo path for the Z4, but for the entire cost of the upgrade, as sacrilegious as this will seem, swapping in a complete stock 2JZ motor ($2500 used), add a turbo, some fuel, and computer, and you get yourself 700 reliable hp. I like projects, and thought long and hard about doing something to that nature. For those diehard BMW fans, pretend you didn't read this
that would be a hell of a project! whatever path you choose, im sure you'll have fun with it.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

With enough $$$ you can get anything done.

That said, whether it makes sense spending a small fortune to turn the z4 into something it wasn't intended to be is worth considering. I can think of a lot of cars that cost a fraction of the price of the Z that will obliterate it in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Exactly - it is a track car - suspension - brakes - wheel and tires - more HP - and keep it all working together and it becomes a pretty awesome sports car. I would never think of it as a 1/4mile dragster but I know even f-1cars have gone through the traps as it is just another measure of the power in the car. Most of us don't drive them on the track either - may get them banged up - autocross - sure - so = HP + handling + stopping - I never had a car or a bike for longer than a week before I started to modify them for me - not for the look, the re-sale or anything else. Thats what they are for - investments -If I had the depreciation ALONE on my last 25 cars I would have been retired 10 years ago !
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0