ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #45
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

what are these 'scoops' fabricated out of?
aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #46
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M's

Yes...But Eloy's last words today is he still wants to try different scoops and hopefully he would sell these soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
what are these 'scoops' fabricated out of?
aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #47
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Yes...But Eloy's last words today is he still wants to try different scoops and hopefully he would sell these soon
great.... thanks for the response...
the extra pull gained on my 04 3.0 from the dinan scoop & filter system was very noticeable on the highway... keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #48
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How much is the dinan setup , hp and does it include software?
Quote:
great.... thanks for the response...
the extra pull gained on my 04 3.0 from the dinan scoop & filter system was very noticeable on the highway... keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #49
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How much is the dinan setup , hp and does it include software?
i got lucky....i bought both used on EBAY $200... scoop (a PITA to install) and the air box w/K&N filter. they are quite expensive through DINAN. i also picked up a DINAN muffler while they had a 10% off offer, i loved the sound with the top down... but there was a surprising amount of drone in the cabin at highway speeds. they did offer a software upgrade, but if i remember you had to send them your board, and wait a couple of day... and the BMW dealer would need to install it $$$.... i was able to do the scoop, air box and muffler myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #50
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yup that's Dinan...I love Dinan as I spent X amount on my M5, some serious $$$ good thing this RPI scoops does not cost an arm and a leg btw I also ask Eloy to make some skid plates for the Z4 bumpers as when i had my 3.0 i scrape that bumper like there's no tomorrow

Quote:
i got lucky....i bought both used on EBAY $200... scoop (a PITA to install) and the air box w/K&N filter. they are quite expensive through DINAN. i also picked up a DINAN muffler while they had a 10% off offer, i loved the sound with the top down... but there was a surprising amount of drone in the cabin at highway speeds. they did offer a software upgrade, but if i remember you had to send them your board, and wait a couple of day... and the BMW dealer would need to install it $$$.... i was able to do the scoop, air box and muffler myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #51
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup that's Dinan...I love Dinan as I spent X amount on my M5, some serious $$$ good thing this RPI scoops does not cost an arm and a leg btw I also ask Eloy to make some skid plates for the Z4 bumpers as when i had my 3.0 i scrape that bumper like there's no tomorrow
really the only reason i bought DINAN at the time was to avoid warranty issues... but i'm over that fear now.... eisenmann exhaust is probably my next big investment.

i had no real issues with scraping on my Z4... i was super careful parking.
but the M spoiler looks lower and sticks out a bit. i bought my 06 M with 4k on it. apparently the previous owner scraped the spoiler and the dealer gave it the old 'used car special' paint job..... the paint was chipping after a few days. i got them to pick up half.... i'm having the whole bumper replaced and painted and clear-bra'd.... so the plates might be a good investment
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #52
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

air scopes has always been a great idea...i wouldnt mind buying one but not for Dinan prices...100+ for a scope is expensive imo
      01-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #53
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

LOL...yup i have clear bra too on the Mcoupe and IMHO the scoop and skid plates are a very good investment...
Quote:
really the only reason i bought DINAN at the time was to avoid warranty issues... but i'm over that fear now.... eisenmann exhaust is probably my next big investment.

i had no real issues with scraping on my Z4... i was super careful parking.
but the M spoiler looks lower and sticks out a bit. i bought my 06 M with 4k on it. apparently the previous owner scraped the spoiler and the dealer gave it the old 'used car special' paint job..... the paint was chipping after a few days. i got them to pick up half.... i'm having the whole bumper replaced and painted and clear-bra'd.... so the plates might be a good investment
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #54
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I can't blame you Dinan parts are pretty $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammojo View Post
air scopes has always been a great idea...i wouldnt mind buying one but not for Dinan prices...100+ for a scope is expensive imo
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #55
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Ok...I was at RPI and we were able to squeeze in some dyno time...so i will let you all on with a little bit of info...we dyno'd the car on Dyno dynamics (heart breaker is what we call this dyno as it puts down low numbers) my max on the Mcoupe was 277 stock (to the wheels) and for the RPI scoop we only did one or two pull and it dyno'd at 281 (to the wheels) these are very conservative numbers as we didn't have time to let the car cool down ( and also 7 guys waiting for the dyno) all dyno's were done with the hood closed...I ask Ely to order the BMC filter and we will try them on...we will do more testing and Eloy will chime in here i'm sure on some of his ideas...now I did some highway pulls in Mexico today with an M3 and on our previous runs am month ago we were dead on (60 miles till) and this time with the scoops ON... I pulled on him at 70 miles and just kept on pulling away...4 times we did and the same thing i pulled away...so there you go dyno and real world testing...and i'll try yo update asap as i get more info...again i would like to thank Eloy for even considering doing this mod which i am stoke right now...
Hmmmm...4 hp peak? That's almost nothing...hopefully you can bump it up to at least 10 with some tweaking.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #56
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

We haven't really peak as we haven't even really done alot of dyno testing...the test that we did was just an initial run and to gain 4 hp to the wheels with the engine really hot, that means were up to something...what really blows my mind was not the dyno but the real world testing me and my buddy with an M3 ( without the scoops we were dead even and with the scoops i pulled away easily...I am hoping with more R and D we will have pretty good numbers... Raceprecision.com (RPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Hmmmm...4 hp peak? That's almost nothing...hopefully you can bump it up to at least 10 with some tweaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #57
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
what really blows my mind was not the dyno but the real world testing me and my buddy with an M3 ( without the scoops we were dead even and with the scoops i pulled easily...I am hoping with more R and D we will have pretty good numbers... Raceprecision.com (RPI)
Another example where the dyno doesn't really mean--anything. I had similar experience when I only gained a pittance of 67 hp on my M6 and blew the doors off an MB SL65 AMG. I had more than just an intake it should be noted... Still normally aspirated though.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #58
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yup + 1...and i've heard about your gain on your e60 M6 just for the scoops...simply amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Another example where the dyno doesn't really mean--anything. I had similar experience when I only gained a pittance of 67 hp on my M6 and blew the doors off an MB SL65 AMG. I had more than just an intake it should be noted... Still normally aspirated though.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #59
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I completely disagree!!!

Dyno testing in repeatable conditions is the closest thing you'll get to real measureable results. You blowing away some loser in a MB means absolutely nothing, as street racing has so many variables involved; driver error/aggressiveness, gear selection, weight of the car/load, uphill, downhill, etc.

Your statement above is the kind of misinformed thought process that gives many BMW drivers a bad name. There are those that throw money at modifications without ever understanding what is really happening, and then there are those that actually care to learn what, and why modifications do to the car.

Not to mention gaining 67 naturally aspirated horsepower TO THE WHEELS from mods in a highly developed motor as that found in your M6 is pretty incredible, and you should be happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #60
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Easy you might pop a vein we are all enthusiast here... I believe RussRamz and you have a point and that's why we are trying to cover all the variables as close as possible...but for air intake setup ( Ram Air) it is pretty hard to replicate 70+ mhp winds (unless you have a big as fan as Dinan) and the best way imho is doing real world testing as that's what matters most, on how it perform on real world ...right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post
I completely disagree!!!

Dyno testing in repeatable conditions is the closest thing you'll get to real measureable results. You blowing away some loser in a MB means absolutely nothing, as street racing has so many variables involved; driver error/aggressiveness, gear selection, weight of the car/load, uphill, downhill, etc.

Your statement above is the kind of misinformed thought process that gives many BMW drivers a bad name. There are those that throw money at modifications without ever understanding what is really happening, and then there are those that actually care to learn what, and why modifications do to the car.

Not to mention gaining 67 naturally aspirated horsepower TO THE WHEELS from mods in a highly developed motor as that found in your M6 is pretty incredible, and you should be happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #61
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep

I know you're right about popping a vein. Street racing is a poor replacement for real dyno testing.

If you test on a dyno and see improvements, you KNOW that it'll translate in the real world, whereas doing seat of the pants 'real world' testing can mean absolutely nothing as there are so many variables that can affect the results.

Whether its ram air effect, or the top end pull of high profile cams, you can only really do proper scientific testing on the dyno.

As a former race shop owner, i would never sell a product based on how it "felt on the highway" or how hard it pulled on my buddy's chevy where before i used to lose.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on the matter. Laidback thank you for doing the dyno testing and the prototyping, you're doing alot for the Z4 community, as is RPI
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #62
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks...side note: try to make at the Mfest in March...
Quote:
I know you're right about popping a vein. Street racing is a poor replacement for real dyno testing.

If you test on a dyno and see improvements, you KNOW that it'll translate in the real world, whereas doing seat of the pants 'real world' testing can mean absolutely nothing as there are so many variables that can affect the results.

Whether its ram air effect, or the top end pull of high profile cams, you can only really do proper scientific testing on the dyno.

As a former race shop owner, i would never sell a product based on how it "felt on the highway" or how hard it pulled on my buddy's chevy where before i used to lose.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on the matter. Laidback thank you for doing the dyno testing and the prototyping, you're doing alot for the Z4 community, as is RPI
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #63
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You blowing away some loser in a MB means absolutely nothing, as street racing has so many variables involved; driver error/aggressiveness, gear selection, weight of the car/load, uphill, downhill, etc.
It wasn't a street race and the run was conducted three times with similar results each time. The point was that I had made some solid gains, but the dyno doesn't tell the whole story. Dynos have a purpose and are useful, but I have learned to not rely so heavily on their results.

Speaking of dynos, I'm on my way to Dinslaken and to visit Kelleners-Sport this morning in about an hour. They will read my DME and knock-out a baseline dyno.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #64
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep

Kelleners! I'm jealous!

I'm planning on going to MFest...is anyone organizing a hotel / group rate?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #65
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here is the info on the hotel http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...&postcount=179

and here is the mother thread (kinda long but this is were i will post updates and what not...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...=107966&page=5

Quote:
Kelleners! I'm jealous!

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #66
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kelleners! I'm jealous!

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101919

see the third post

David Brent
Appreciate 0