ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
DR Z4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Roadster

Factory Ipod Adapter

I have done a lot of searching, and read the manual posted on bimmerfest for the factrory ipod interface.

If my car had Nav (the one thing it's missing that I care about), I would be getting an intravee right now, but after viewing the demos on youtube of it running through the business CD radio, it seems less than optimal.

THIS IS MY QUESTION:

Are my only options to play the entire ipod, do an entire ipod shuffle, or play from one of my 5 pre-programmed BMW playlists?

Can I still, while the ipod is connected, go directly to an album and play that by selecting it manually on the ipod, but then move back and forth between songs from the steering wheel controls?

ALSO: for those who are using the factory ipod interface, do you find it easy to navigate, and actually enjoyable to use? Where do you have the ipod installed- in the glove box, centre console, trunk?

What do you think?

Last edited by DR Z4; 03-30-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I have the OEM interface with the non-nav radio and like it, but it doesn't allow choosing of albums. As you asked you can play the entire iPod (or have it shuffle all songs), or play one of 5 pre-done playlists. You can go to the next song or previous song with the right steering wheel rocker switch. It shows no info on the display about the song being played. I was under the impression the Intravee II would show the track info on the Business display(which is something I would like to have). Mine has the ipod cord in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

im probably gonna buy an ipad just for this and ditch the auxilary input crap....i hate all the wiring....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
DR Z4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Roadster

My ideal scenario would be to keep the CD changer, but hookup a small tablet MP3 player through the AUX, but directly into the headunit.

I assume going through the AUX 3.5mm jack causes loss of audio quality, even if you have a 16 pin Ipod-to-3.5mm jack adapter.

Since the AUX in can operate without the loss of the CD changer, can't one hardwire a connection into wherever the factory Aux inputs to the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I use my iPod touch on the AUX input with a line out dock adapter, it sounds amazing. Though I don't have steering wheel controls but this way I can get audio from other apps as well, not just the iPod music player. I don't know of any iPod/iPhone solution for the Z4 (other then AUX) that works with Pandora.
      03-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I have the OEM interface with the non-nav radio and like it, but it doesn't allow choosing of albums. As you asked you can play the entire iPod (or have it shuffle all songs), or play one of 5 pre-done playlists. You can go to the next song or previous song with the right steering wheel rocker switch. It shows no info on the display about the song being played. I was under the impression the Intravee II would show the track info on the Business display(which is something I would like to have). Mine has the ipod cord in the glove box.
Intravee on the Z4 Business head unit is the same as the E46 Business head unit.

Basic opperation

Multiple Sources (iPod, CDC, Aux and XM)

Key assignment customisation

Scroll speed settings
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Thanks Richard. That is what I understood. It is amazing how many customizable settings the Intravee has. I just have a hard time justifying trashing my OEM iPod connector to replace it with an Intravee and all the associated work I will have to do to remove the old and install the new. If my car did not already have the OEM connector in it when I bought it, I would have the Intravee right now.
Appreciate 0