ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

NEED HELP! I manually close top, but it won't lock or latch any longer¿¿¿

My 04 z4 convertible top motor died almost a year ago. During this time I've been using the open and close buttons just to unlock and lock the top then manually lowering and raising the top myself.

Yesterday I manually closed the top and the close button did not lock or latch the top like it normally does. I determined that when the top is fully open the open and close buttons still make the motor whirring sound but once the top gets about halfway up (I am manually lifting it) the buttons no longer do anything.

I've read about a switch fault or sensor fault and tonight will attempt to take apart the top section that sits on top of the windshield and see if I can clean it and put it back together and see if that helps. anything else I should check or any recommended fixes?

I've also already left the battery unplugged for 30 minutes hoping to reset something but that didn't change anything.

Ideally I just want the top to lock and unlock like before with the easiest (cheapest) possible fix. thank you again guys
      09-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I don't suppose its just a blown fuse?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

There are two Hall effect sensors on top of the driver side lift cylinder. One senses when the top is in the down position and the other when the top is in the up position. Sounds like there might be an issue with the up sensing Hall effect sensor.
      09-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

where are the driver side lift cylinders located at exactly, in the trunk under the soft top or in the soft top near the windshield area (when closed)?

Also any idea which fuse(s) controls the locking motor in the top of the soft top that sits in the middle near the windshield (when closed)?

thanks guys!

**edit**

so i found a thread about how to lock/unlock it manually with an allen key/wrench so i did that at least for now it is sealed up, so thanks to zpost for that old thread info...
      09-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

At the rear, just under the parcel shelf sits a microswitch.
My guess is that that part is failing.
It's a common problem.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
At the rear, just under the parcel shelf sits a microswitch.
My guess is that that part is failing.
It's a common problem.
It will lock in the down position. Doesn't that mean the microswitch is working?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Maybe. But you have a non working roof so who knows how it will act.
The back microswitch is a common fault problem (much more common than the hall sensors on the roof actuators), but your mechanism has waterdamage as it is (I assume thats the reason the roof doesnt work), so anything can be at fault.
I dont know if you can diagnose these sensors seperately with inpa (never tried).
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I don't know what kind of damage the top motors have jonestly. They started to struggle more and more over about a 6 month period until finally needing to be helped and then until last week the motors would still give that mechanical wine just wouldn't actually do anything.

I've been awaiting orders to move from Japan back to US for a year and will likely be leaving in the next 3-6 months so i've been real hesitant to pay the stealership 2k$+ to fix everything when the car alone is only gonna sell for around 6-8k$ anyways.

I've done a lot of smaller stuff, even replaced the starter and the pcv stuff, replaced a few of the harder to reach hoses but without knowing for sure i'm super hesitant to just jump into so many unknowns and start taking apart this super complex top. I also remember how difficult the rear trunk shelf lid was to remove and replace when i did the coilovers 3 years back.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
geocu63
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw z4 3.0si

hi I had a 2006 z4 3.0i and now have 3.0si. I replaced the convertible pump motor on the previous z4. when you say convertible top motors, there is just one convertible pump motor that opens and closes the top thats located behind the driver side back quarter between the rear wheel and door and there is another one called latch motor that latches and unlatches the top from the windshield that's mounted to the top. here is the steps I followed to troubleshoot the problem.

1) please check all the fuses related to the top.
2) make sure that the plastic compartment in the trunk(where the top sits when the top is down) is down.
3 ) try to put the top down. the top should unlatch from the windshield and latch back even if the pump motor doesn't work. if nothing happens, go check the microswitch in the trunk cause they break easily and replace it if its broken cause thats the cheapest option.
4) after replacing the switch, if still nothing happens, it might be the latch motor or convertible top module or general module causing the top not to unlatch from the windshield. in my case It was the general module not communicating with the top module, got a used one from eBay and put it in and the top unlatched from the windshield and latched back but the top didnt move. the pump motor made a squeaking noice like trying to open the top but not having enough power. I just went ahead and replaced the pump motor. it worked like charm.
5) when your top latches and unlatches from the windshield, but doesn't move, then replace the pump motor.
hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
fosorioy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Manual Top Won't Work. Help.

Hi, I justo got a BMW Z4 and I knew the up/down motor was dead. The lock/unlock motor it is working just fine, so when I follow the steps to make it manual (go to my trunk, put dow the base, move in 90 degrees the red ring) I really can't move more than 3 inch the top down, even fighting. Can someone tell me about your experience or any advice to fix it. I heard it should work super easy, but apparently my fluid to leave it manual it is not releasing. Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosorioy View Post
Hi, I justo got a BMW Z4 and I knew the up/down motor was dead. The lock/unlock motor it is working just fine, so when I follow the steps to make it manual (go to my trunk, put dow the base, move in 90 degrees the red ring) I really can't move more than 3 inch the top down, even fighting. Can someone tell me about your experience or any advice to fix it. I heard it should work super easy, but apparently my fluid to leave it manual it is not releasing. Thank you in advance
Now that you moved the red ring downwards, Try pulling it a bit towards the passenger side, that did it for me
Appreciate 0