ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Plasti Dipped the whole car

I have plasti dipped a few things and decided to do the entire car. I know it is not everyones taste but I really could care less if you don't like it. Just thought I would share how it turned out if anyone else is interested in doing it.

Base: 1.5 Gallons Guntmetal Grey (4 Coats)
Final: 1 Gallon clear+ 1 quart thinner (3 Coats) with 50g Candy Cocoa Pearl and 2.5g Candy Black Pearl from www.didspade.com

Crappy phone pics. It looks better in person.

Original Car

Prep

Base coat a couple coats in

First top coat

Final Look
In sunshine

In Shade

06-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

you basically made a satin sepang lol. loks great. i would finish removing dip off the mouldings as well
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That is kind of what I was going for. I love the Sepang haha. I have removed the dip on the mouldings. Just have not taken new pics. It was getting late after spraying so I finished what I could. Did the rest of the car the night after (mirrors part attached to the window, fog lights, window trim etc).
      06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
When I saw your first pic of the base coat, I said to myself "here we go again, another matte grey car"... but then I quickly scrolled down and saw the rest. Wow! While not my preferred color, it definitely makes an impression. Looks good.
      06-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Fantastic, Nate! Thanks for sharing! It looks like you've done this before. Any "tips and tricks" for us first timers that are considering the same? Is it mostly a "spray everything and peal off where you don't want it" concept?
      06-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Very nicely done! Would love to see some tips as well if you find time.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Would have to agree with Finnegan here, I think I'll end up mocking the Minty Green Z3 Shoe that lives just up the road from me here in Texas; before I do I'd like to know what it was like going through this firsthand. I've done wheels with plastidip but little else.

Your's came out great, seriously I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed seeing that transformation.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Roughly what do all of the materials end up costing?
      06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Looks pretty good actually. I think the top would look better color matched or with some shine.
      06-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Came out really well, especially the finish.

Not as dark as Sepang, but not worth re-painting, thats for sure
      06-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I think it looks great. Excellent work!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

It is a great color and looks nice. I think maybe if the "3.0 si" where left chrome it would give it a little "pop" and be a nice contrast. Especially on the "In sunshine" picture. Good job though!!
      06-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Z4Lee
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Very nice! Great work - thanks for sharing the photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
It is a great color and looks nice. I think maybe if the "3.0 si" where left chrome it would give it a little "pop" and be a nice contrast. Especially on the "In sunshine" picture. Good job though!!
I'm guessing since OP said he had some more stuff to clean up that was part of it. I'd def do those gunmetal or black to match the wheels.

The color came out pretty sweet. Def will grab attention.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the compliments. I did the roof in spray can as a trial to see if I liked how the plasti dip turned out in a large area. I decided to leave it black for now. I made sure I had enough paint leftover to paint it if I decided to.

I really am not a fan of chrome and that is the reason I did not peal off the 3.0si on the fenders or the Z4 on the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Fantastic, Nate! Thanks for sharing! It looks like you've done this before. Any "tips and tricks" for us first timers that are considering the same? Is it mostly a "spray everything and peal off where you don't want it" concept?
Mostly it is spray everything but there are a few things I did because I did not want overspray every where. I put some tape behind the fender and door to stop it from going where I could not wipe it off. I masked the edges inside the door. This is probably not required. The biggest pain was the hatch. Since the hatch goes down further than the body I propped it up on beer cans and masked off with plastic the entire trunk. If you look behind the antenna you can see the Coors . Other than that just take your time. Took me 3 hours to prep, 3 hours to spray and 2 hours to peel. I would also tape off the rubber around the window better. It did not peel as good as I thought it would. Peels off the body really well though. The biggest tip is to make sure you spray enough. Minimum of 5 coats total. It is easier to peel with more coats. As well youtube is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
Would have to agree with Finnegan here, I think I'll end up mocking the Minty Green Z3 Shoe that lives just up the road from me here in Texas; before I do I'd like to know what it was like going through this firsthand. I've done wheels with plastidip but little else.

Your's came out great, seriously I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed seeing that transformation.
I am loving it. It is like asking the wife to put on a wig and outfit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
Came out really well, especially the finish.

Not as dark as Sepang, but not worth re-painting, thats for sure
I was going for the Sepang and was going to add some more black to darken it up but after the first coat I was really happy with the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Roughly what do all of the materials end up costing?
I bought a sprayer ($100-200 depending on the model). I used 2.5 gallons. It is about $90 a gallon or you can get it in bulk quantities. Then the coloring was $30. The plasti dip and coloring was $225 for the whole car.

Last edited by nate96; 06-15-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here are the steps I did to do the car.
Prep:
  1. Wash the car. Do not wax it.
  2. Put plastic down on the garage floor. I did this so I did not get overspray everywhere
  3. Park car to allow you optimal room for moving around.
  4. Clay bar the car. I wanted a smooth surface on the existing paint.
  5. Disconnect battery. Prevents drainage if you are taking a couple days and prevents the windows from moving when you open and close the door.
  6. Remove kidney grills and antenna.
  7. Mask off what you do not want to get overspray on.
  • Cover the holes where the kidney grills were.
  • Cover any other grill opening.
  • Prop open the hood (I used a roll of tape where the latch is). I covered the motor with plastic to prevent overspray. I masked the side of the hood and the inside of the fender.
  • I put a little tape on the headlights and side indicators.
  • Open the doors and mask off inside. I did it about 3/8” in from the rocker panel for my line but would recommend a little more.
  • Mask off the backside of the gap between the fenders and doors. I did this with tape. It was a major pain but I thought it was worth it.
  • Open the trunk and mask off between the hatch and the roof on the underside.
  • Prop the trunk open (I used beer cars) and mask off with plastic drape. I did this all the way from the roof and around the back.
  • Mask off the windows (front, rear and sides). This is the one thing I did differently. Mask all the way to the rubber edges like how I did the rear windows and not the side.
  • Cut some plastic big enough to fill the wheel wells. Alternatively some people use garbage bags. Tape the entire inside of the wheel well just inside of the body leaving the body full exposed.

The car should be fully prepped now.

Painting:

There are many resources for seeing how to paint. www.youtube.com and http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php

Some things to note to prevent running. The side markers like to pool the paint. Take care when painting that area. The mirrors are a pain to get full coverage on using a paint gun. I recommend getting Prevail sprayer to do them. With the paint gun to get full coverage on the mirrors I got too much paint and it started to run and drip. I have done mirrors with spray cans and it is much easier. If you are more experienced it may not be an issue.
  1. The first coat is very light. It seems like this is the same idea as sanding wood before painting. Gives the paint something to grip onto.
  2. The second to fourth or fifth coats are a normal coat using about a 50% overlap on spraying.
  3. The top coat, about 3 coats is the color you are doing and the same principles are involved.

Tear Down:

Patience is key here. Make sure you have some razor blades handy. Slowly start to peel off the masking job. Keep your fingers as close to the plasti dip when pulling it off or it will just tear. Inspect every area you are about to peel. You will start to notice what will peel easily and what won’t. Use the razor blade on the edges that do not peel well or anywhere that there is tape to plasti dip (like the door jambs). This will ensure a cleaner line and less chance of peeling off what you do not want to come off. Note that you only need to score the plasti dip next to the tape in order to get a clean break and do not have to cut it all the way. This makes it less of a chance of going too far and putting a line into the factory paint.

Anyways I hope this helps anyone that is going to attempt it.
      06-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #17
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I love the color! Great job!!! How's the paint job holding up?