ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

S54 blown...replace or C5Z06

There I was off the coast of Madagascar on the Road to Hell 7.4 mile race loop...the 911 RS was in the lead, followed closely by a GT3, a C6Z06, me in the Z4M, and a M3 in tow (it was prepped, maybe 2,800 lbs). 7 laps...no one had changed place. Turn 8 on the 8th lap and "poof", no power and check engine light.

Yes, I spun a bearing. Engine is now toast. It wasn't the Madagascar race course, but rather Summit Main...about the same experience. Thinking about sending the whole car to California for a Lange rebuild. I put 30 or so track days this year on the Z, it was beat on pretty hard. I probably should have already replace the bearings, but I figured I would use the winter for the maintenance....just didn't make it.

So blown engine at least has me thinking. Lange rebuild is +$12k. I've considered just buying another Z4M and scavenging the engine and keeping it as a parts car...that's $20-$25k. My wife will kill me if I have another car in the front. But then a 2003 C5Z06 cropped up with 18k miles for $20k...interesting option.

I don't know if we BMW fanboys give the corvette it's due, but it has me thinking. I could find a used S54, have the bearings done, and install it for $8-$10. Or I could add $10k and get the C5.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a spare S54?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13
There I was off the coast of Madagascar on the Road to Hell 7.4 mile race loop...the 911 RS was in the lead, followed closely by a GT3, a C6Z06, me in the Z4M, and a M3 in tow (it was prepped, maybe 2,800 lbs). 7 laps...no one had changed place. Turn 8 on the 8th lap and "poof", no power and check engine light.

Yes, I spun a bearing. Engine is now toast. It wasn't the Madagascar race course, but rather Summit Main...about the same experience. Thinking about sending the whole car to California for a Lange rebuild. I put 30 or so track days this year on the Z, it was beat on pretty hard. I probably should have already replace the bearings, but I figured I would use the winter for the maintenance....just didn't make it.

So blown engine at least has me thinking. Lange rebuild is +$12k. I've considered just buying another Z4M and scavenging the engine and keeping it as a parts car...that's $20-$25k. My wife will kill me if I have another car in the front. But then a 2003 C5Z06 cropped up with 18k miles for $20k...interesting option.

I don't know if we BMW fanboys give the corvette it's due, but it has me thinking. I could find a used S54, have the bearings done, and install it for $8-$10. Or I could add $10k and get the C5.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a spare S54?
I was in the same boat and went with Andrew for a rebuild , couldn't be happier . A well prepped Z4M is a special car and fast as hell . I think you would be upset with yourself if you sold it .
George
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

New engine going in. Found one with a 2-year warranty, 50k miles. It wasn't cheap, but I really like the Z platform for the track. I'm turning 1.24 - 1.25 consistently on Summit Main and I think I can still find another second or so around turns 6, 7 and 8...it's a little hairy if you overcook turn 9.

Anyone run Dominion yet? The walls certainly seem close. Was behind a guy in a RS32 that just went straight up the bank by the bridge. Evidently there is a ditch just a few yards off the track and he cracked the frame. I don't have the guts to take turn 1 properly yet...but it's a fast one.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Great news Glad to hear you're keeping the Z.

Can you sell your old engine (for someone else to do a rebuild) to recoupe some of the cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

There is a core charge of $500 from the supplier. While I'm not concerned about the $500, I'm worried that I may have contaminated the engine with metal beyond resuscitation.

Im having it cracked open to see just how bad it might be, check the various filters to see how much metal. It makes no sense to put 10-15 into a rebuild and have it fail out the gate due to some oil channel being clogged. Maybe a good builder plans for all that. I'll come back with a few pictures after they open it up.

Honestly, I would love to send it off to Lang, or someone, and build up a stroker and thus have a 2nd engine. I was never going to leave the platform as I still have the convertible with only 11k miles...but the C5 price/performance ratio is hard to beat. With all the spare stuff I have for the Z, it made sense to stick with it. With the 2 year warranty on the replacement engine, I feel a little better going this route than a 2004 C5 with unknown history.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
There is a core charge of $500 from the supplier. While I'm not concerned about the $500, I'm worried that I may have contaminated the engine with metal beyond resuscitation.

Im having it cracked open to see just how bad it might be, check the various filters to see how much metal. It makes no sense to put 10-15 into a rebuild and have it fail out the gate due to some oil channel being clogged. Maybe a good builder plans for all that. I'll come back with a few pictures after they open it up.

Honestly, I would love to send it off to Lang, or someone, and build up a stroker and thus have a 2nd engine. I was never going to leave the platform as I still have the convertible with only 11k miles...but the C5 price/performance ratio is hard to beat. With all the spare stuff I have for the Z, it made sense to stick with it. With the 2 year warranty on the replacement engine, I feel a little better going this route than a 2004 C5 with unknown history.
I highly recommend Andrew Lang , he did an outstanding job for me on my motor build .
George
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:

Im having it cracked open to see just how bad it might be, check the various filters to see how much metal.
If you really did simply spin a bearing, there isn't a bucket of shavings floating around your motor.
I've building motors for a very long time. I've built & rebuilt quite a few that have seen various levels of mechanical demise.

I'm confident your engine builder will thoroughly clean the block and galleys.
I would have ZERO worries about tossing money into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

and BTW - you would have regretted trying to track the C5.
Our C6Z06 is brutal. Of course, I also ride a Ducati 999S, so maybe I just like wrestling with gorillas.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #9
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Quote:

I ran dominion last week. I was worried about walls but they have pushed them back. It's not hairy at all! Doubt you will be out at summit in 2 weeks?

What blower do you run? I'm surprised I haven't seen you at summit this year? I stick with NASA events though!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

LANG. And spinning a bearing is not a blown engine till the rod goes through the block. New bottom end is also not too much money.

S14, s52, and s54's have had problems when pushed hard on the track. Lang's work will minimize this.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

We could probably start another thread to discuss Dominion, but I didn't know they moved the walls back. My first couple of laps on the track, I thought about them, but then I picked a different line between 2-3...I don't move track left, I go "more straight" across the arc, the walls are never in play. I wasn't worried about hitting them, just picking a better line. My guess is if they moved the walls, it wasn't for cars...it is to get the motorcycle guys. Couple of motorcycle friends said no way to current configuration.

Also worked on the big sweeper on turn 5, I did not like the off-camber exit...so I started inside, swing out, and try to apex about 3 quarters way thru so I can come out on-camber. Did you notice that the curbing on almost the entire track is nowhere where it should be? Perhaps if the run is clockwise vs counter clockwise, they may make sense.

Summit...I go there with anyone that will let me run with them. Was there the last 2 days with metro NY Porshe club...my wife and I doubled in the 128i. Chin, TracDaze, BMW, Porshe, Audi...been with every one of them. NASA is there this weekend coming, if I have the car back, I'll be there.

The oil was full of metal bits. Engine is out of the car, just waiting on the replacement to arrive. No holes in the block, so maybe it can be saved.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Man, was sad to read that first post, but then you upped the game by getting a new engine, which is AWESOME!!!
Can't wait to hear more about how it turns out.