ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #67
SD ///M4
Blue (and Orange) Bimmers Rule!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Coupe | 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimolaoha View Post
Thanks.
Another thread indicates that one member had some difficulty with a plastic rivet that may have connected the filter housing to some duct work or something. It's not in the video. Do you have any recollection of this, or know what he may have been talking about?
The video, of course, makes it look like a walk in the park, but anecdotal evidence from the forum indicates that SD Z4MR and many others may not agree.
Mike
My new filter came in last Tuesday. I replaced it a couple of days later and again it was a royal pain in the ass!

There is a pop rivet in the middle of the panel that goes through a tab that sticks down through a hole in the panel and folds over to line up with another hole in the panel. This is where the pop rivet goes. This is the kind of plastic rivet with the post in the middle. You pull the inner post out with your fingernails or with a pair of needle-nose pliers but the outside portion required prying with a small flat blade screwdriver. The sole purpose of the plastic tab and rivet appears to be just to support the middle of the panel. Once that was out and the two screws were out, my panel required pulling and twisting to get it to the point where I could push out the footwell light and get to the module that needs to be removed from the panel. As mentioned before, only the left screw needs to be removed and the right screw loosened slightly

The plastic piece that holds in the filter came off easy enough and of course you have to pull and tug at the filter to get it to come out. I only had a few leaf fragments and a big dessicated moth. Getting the filter in is a pain, you have to "pre-curve" it to get it to slide up into the filter cavity. The filter holder went back on relatively easily. I then re-attached the model.

Putting the panel back in place again required pushing, bending, and smacking it until it was roughly in place. I decided to put the screws back in first. This was a mistake. I just couldn't get the plastic tab lined up with the hole to put the pop rivet back in. After trying several times, I removed the screws and this allowed me to get the tab lined up with the hole and get the pop rivet back in place. Then I pushed on the panel until the screws lined up, got them screwed back in and I was done, almost an hour later.

On my wife's 335is Coupe, I can remove the 6-8 screws, pop off the cover, replace the filter, put the cover back on and screw in the 6-8 screws in 10 minutes max. I could probably do it in 5 minutes if someone was timing me.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #68
Kimolaoha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
My new filter came in last Tuesday. I replaced it a couple of days later and again it was a royal pain in the ass!
. . . .
There is a pop rivet in the middle of the panel . . .
. . . .
On my wife's 335is Coupe, I can remove the 6-8 screws, pop off the cover, replace the filter, put the cover back on and screw in the 6-8 screws in 10 minutes max. I could probably do it in 5 minutes if someone was timing me.
No doubt, compared to the E90, it's a pain.
My riveted connector had long ago been broken, as described somewhere in the DIY I put together here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...8#post16406818
It seems to have little importance anyway.

But cleaning the air filter is not even as bad as cleaning the soft top water drain tubes!
In case you're interested, I've also put up a DIY mod for that (to make it a little easier): http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381

Hers:...........2006 (e90) 330i, Sapphire Black
Theirs #1:....2008 (e85) Z4 3.0si, Jet Black
Theirs #2:....1992 (e31) 850i, Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #69
dbucka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si, Black Sapphire,

I have an '06 Roadster that started to show the same crunching issue. It turned out to be the wiring harness that is stuffed up behind the vents blocking the lower recirculating flap and keeping it from moving. No idea how it shoved up there far enough to do that because my wife is not tall enough for her feet to reach.

Thanks for all the tips and hints at fixing this!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #70
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Bump!

My HVAC gears were crunching about a year ago and instead of ordering the parts I just set it to full open and pulled the white one out.

I finally got around to buying the parts and spent the better part of 2 hours today fighting with the gears and that dumb little actuator while laying upside down under the dash. The lock tab on the new black gear broke off immediately on installing it on the shaft so I re-used the old one. Needless to say after finally getting it all back together and verifying it was set correctly the black gear/lever sheared a couple teeth and I was right back at square one. $50 down the drain. Couple questions for the day I eventually decide to take another shot at fixing this...

1: what is the best way to access this shit? Laying under the dash is near impossible for me, maybe it's my height but no matter how I was under there my arms are twisted and jammed into stuff. I can barely move. Removing the glovebox looks to be a job all its own.

2: why does BMW insist on using cheap garbage plastics in such ludicrous situations?! Absolutely infuriating to have such awful materials in so many hard to access places.

Appreciate 0