ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Question Steering response M Roadster vs M Coupe

M Coupe has a quicker steering ratio than the M Roadster if I look at the specs sheet. I've only driven the roadster which seemed to change direction pretty darn quickly.

Is the M Coupe that much more nervous and sensitive to steering input? Is it like a Honda S2000?

I cannot test drive an M Coupe because in winter time here in Montreal dealers do not allow test drives and people store their sports cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79 View Post
M Coupe has a quicker steering ratio than the M Roadster if I look at the specs sheet. I've only driven the roadster which seemed to change direction pretty darn quickly.

Is the M Coupe that much more nervous and sensitive to steering input?
No - the difference is not that dramatic. Heck, my Smart's steering ratio is 20:1 and it's not insanely twitchy.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ wow why did u buy a Smart ca?
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
No - the difference is not that dramatic. Heck, my Smart's steering ratio is 20:1 and it's not insanely twitchy.
So then the main difference felt between the Z4M coupe and roadster while daily driving is....?

Does the Coupe roll less or feel more planted? I know it's stiffer, but aside from a track can you feel the difference in terms of driving pleasure on a day to day basis?

I know my old Z3M Coupe felt much more solid and handled better than the Z3M roadster which had a very average chassis. I'm wondering if the difference is as big and easy to tell with the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

The difference is noticeable. The Coupé is pretty hardcore all the time, but I don't notice the harshness since I'm used to it. It's a very livable car for daily driving.
      02-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
So then the main difference felt between the Z4M coupe and roadster while daily driving is....?

Does the Coupe roll less or feel more planted? I know it's stiffer, but aside from a track can you feel the difference in terms of driving pleasure on a day to day basis?

I know my old Z3M Coupe felt much more solid and handled better than the Z3M roadster which had a very average chassis. I'm wondering if the difference is as big and easy to tell with the Z4M.
I have owned both a Z4M Roaster and a Coupe. I have a Coupe at this time. I had a Roaster for 5 months. I agree with Rick Hunter that the difference is noticeable. The Coupe handles better and the DSC light goes on less quickly because I guess the wheels do not loose traction as quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Both are sweet to drive but yes, the coupe really reminds you to keep your hands on the wheel. The coupe is about twice as stiff torsionally, but the roadster seemed stiffer than the S2000. I didn't notice any cowl shake or as much creaking as in the Honda
      02-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

The steering is a lot more "heavy" compared to the S2000 (I've owned an '01 and '04 S2000).

That being said I really like the steering feel in the M Coupe.
      02-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
The steering is a lot more "heavy" compared to the S2000 (I've owned an '01 and '04 S2000).

That being said I really like the steering feel in the M Coupe.
It's heavier but lacks a bit of steering feel compared to a Boxster S though.

M Roadster does have better steering feel than an S2000 which is numb just like every other Honda. (I owned 3 Honda S2000s)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's heavier but lacks a bit of steering feel compared to a Boxster S though.

M Roadster does have better steering feel than an S2000 which is numb just like every other Honda. (I owned 3 Honda S2000s)
Too bad the boxster feels super boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

You'll be passing everything but Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s, your second time on the track with that "heavy steering".
      02-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
Too bad the boxster feels super boring.
It depends what you are looking for. Maybe to you it feels boring because you do not care for things like steering feedback, clutch feel, balance, etc...the MZ4 is more of an adrenaline pump but that doesn't make it the better car.

A 2008 Boxster S with a manual tranny still rips the 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and the new 2009 Boxster S does it in 4.8 seconds, and that's Porsche numbers which are all very conservative.

The engine doesn't feel as rev-happy and ''violent'' as the Z4M's S54, but it pulls extremely hard after 4000RPMs and the exhaust note is amazing. It's like a rich howl. The MZ4 is more of a matellic screamer. Different strokes for different folks.

I also find that with an OEM Porsche short shifter the 987S shifts are shorter, crisper and more precise.

I happen to like both cars equally but since I already have an old Boxster S I want something that doesn't drive the same, hence the Z4 M Roadster.

Each car has its plus and minuses.

I've owned a 2001 M Coupe and now currently own a 2000 Boxster S. I appreciate both cars for different reasons as they feel completely different to drive but I cannot say that one is ''clearly more fun to drive'' than the other.

I loved hearing my old M Coupe screaming to 7600RPMs with that distinctive metallic motorcycle sound and the back end coming loose so easily. Good times. However I do not miss the pitch-dive-rolling of the suspension. The Boxster S is superior in these aspects.

I get a kick out of owning different types of small 2 seater sports cars and can't wait to see what it feels like to drive an M Roadster on a day-to-day basis. Hopefully the suspension-chassis is a step up from the Z3M.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It depends what you are looking for. Maybe to you it feels boring because you do not care for things like steering feedback, clutch feel, balance, etc...the MZ4 is more of an adrenaline pump but that doesn't make it the better car.

A 2008 Boxster S with a manual tranny still rips the 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and the new 2009 Boxster S does it in 4.8 seconds, and that's Porsche numbers which are all very conservative.

The engine doesn't feel as rev-happy and ''violent'' as the Z4M's S54, but it pulls extremely hard after 4000RPMs and the exhaust note is amazing. It's like a rich howl. The MZ4 is more of a matellic screamer. Different strokes for different folks.

I also find that with an OEM Porsche short shifter the 987S shifts are shorter, crisper and more precise.

I happen to like both cars equally but since I already have an old Boxster S I want something that doesn't drive the same, hence the Z4 M Roadster.

Each car has its plus and minuses.

I've owned a 2001 M Coupe and now currently own a 2000 Boxster S. I appreciate both cars for different reasons as they feel completely different to drive but I cannot say that one is ''clearly more fun to drive'' than the other.

I loved hearing my old M Coupe screaming to 7600RPMs with that distinctive metallic motorcycle sound and the back end coming loose so easily. Good times. However I do not miss the pitch-dive-rolling of the suspension. The Boxster S is superior in these aspects.

I get a kick out of owning different types of small 2 seater sports cars and can't wait to see what it feels like to drive an M Roadster on a day-to-day basis. Hopefully the suspension-chassis is a step up from the Z3M.
No i care about steering response, clutch, gear changes all aspects of driving. Its just that my brothers Boxster S which is a 2002 model feels boring. The engine is smooth but its underpowered especially for the chassis you know it can take a lot more. It handles great but never feels like your attacking a corner.
The clutch is terrible, i dont mind hard clutches but the Porsche one feels as if its its made of wood. The gear box is just sloppy. The gates for each gear are weirdly aligned and once in gear there is like 3cm of play side to side. The shifter is super loose and over easy to move around which is the complete opposite to the clutch which is overly hard.

+ the interior looks 30years old, but at least the seats are super soft and comfy lol

Yeah i pretty much hate the Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

did not know this...interesting.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I've had a Z3 Coupe, Roadster, S2k and now Z4M Coupe. Yes you will definitely feel a difference in rigidity and steering satisfaction - at least I do. In terms of the quality of the Z4 platform over Z3 its huge.

The Z3 was a blast in terms of hanging the tail out but the Roadsters flexed something fierce. When I first test drove a regular Z4 Roady I was impressed with how smooth and composed and flex-free the chassis was. The M Coupe is even tighter and handling even better.

I largely based my decision to get the M Coupe based on an even better version of the already impressive Z4.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Jacques79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

But have you driven a Z4 M Roadster?

I know the Z4M Coupe is more fun to drive than the regular Z4 Roadster; I just want to know if the difference between the M Roadster and M Coupe is easy to notice on the streets, not the track. (quick turn in, changes lanes while barely turning the steering wheel to the left or right: like an S2000, EVO IX or Mini Cooper S)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
But have you driven a Z4 M Roadster?

I know the Z4M Coupe is more fun to drive than the regular Z4 Roadster; I just want to know if the difference between the M Roadster and M Coupe is easy to notice on the streets, not the track. (quick turn in, changes lanes while barely turning the steering wheel to the left or right: like an S2000, EVO IX or Mini Cooper S)
Yes - I have owned both a Z4M Roaster and a Z4M Coupe. Had the Z4M Roaster for 5 months and the Z4M Coupe for about 30 months and counting.
Appreciate 0