ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Fan kind of sound coming from driver side dash area??

This happened a few times where there's some kind of a fan sound coming from the driver side vent / dash area. This is noticeable by my passenger(s) as a few have already asked "what is that sound?". I didn't have AC/heater on at the time.
I popped the hood, but I really can't locate where exactly it's coming from. The main fan behind the radiator was never on when this happened. This happens after some driving.
Any experts here know what it is??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

What kind of a nosie see my thread about tap tap noise. This was a service bulletin item i understand. They are now replacing my ac evaporator becasue of a simple noise i heard coming form the center vent in the dash which i thought was just a fan noise. All covered under warranty. The tap tap noise has to do with the dampers resetting each time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Sometimes I have the same noise when I get into the even car before the key goes into the ignition - even after the car has sat for several days. I'm also curious as to what it is.

GT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
motorknut
Rep
Drives: BMW TMC Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Sometimes I have the same noise when I get into the even car before the key goes into the ignition - even after the car has sat for several days. I'm also curious as to what it is.

GT
I get a strange ticking sound, sounds like its from the centre vent on the dash. comes on while driving, while parked, engine on/off and even key in/out. couln't tell if it was a fan or what. first suspect was a/c.

finally one day when i got in to clean the dash i heard the sound, and suddenly there was a "beep" and the noise died down. I later realized i hear the same beep when i turn on my music and the cd in the head unit resumes play!

so this morning the sounds starts again, and i try turning the radio on and off. voila! ticking noise is gone. for some reason my head unit seems to be doing something while everything is turned off. and it does it regardless of a CD loaded in the head unit/changer or not.

Last edited by motorknut; 02-14-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post

GT
I don't think yours is the same as the original poster's. Your sound is the stereo reading the CD you have in, and getting it ready so it would start play immediately.
      02-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
motorknut
Rep
Drives: BMW TMC Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
I don't think yours is the same as the original poster's. Your sound is the stereo reading the CD you have in, and getting it ready so it would start play immediately.
is the stereo supposed to do that even while not switched on?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Haven't seen/heard one that doesn't... I belive the NAV unit spins up too... In other cars with the MkIV navigation system where the display is constantly exposed (X5, etc), the Navigation display automatically comes on to the BMW splash screen by just opening the door(s). So I'm going to guess that our systems (CD and NAV) spinning up are a side-effect of this.