ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Unhappy Driverless cars- are we going to be phased out?

Hi guys,

I was just reading the papers this morning and ran into this news article on the new driver-less cars that are being developed right now: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ottle/2058637/

and it made wonder if people like us on this board that actually enjoy driving our wonderful cars are going to be forced to give up our pleasures in the future...

Obviously most accidents are caused by human errors, so one can be sure that the insurance companies will come down hard on those that insist on driving once these automatic cars are fully developed... But still, the idea that my own children may not be able to enjoy these beautiful machines in 20-30 years kinda made me sad....

Am I just being overly emotional due to the drugs I'm on right now to combat the flu, or have any of you thoughts about this too?

Warm regards,
gas-can
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

You'd think if cars drove automatically you wouldn't need any car insurance. Im more afraid of electric cars, hybrids, and automatics.
      04-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Everything mentioned above concerns me but I'm already to the point that I'm not really interested in owning anything newer than my '07 MC. My wife can have whatever new car she wants every few years but I'd rather do things the old fashioned way.
      04-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

My hunch is that in a few generations, we will be looked at as dinosaurs. Stick shift?! Steering your own car?! No texting (or Google-glass'ing)?! Grandpa...those were crazy times back in your day! ;-)

Fortunately I'll be dead and gone when that day arrives, but I do get the sense that we're in the horse and buggy whip days, and the (new and improved) Model A days are right around the corner. My kids have little interest in learning how to drive a stick - though I'm going to teach them. And did anyone read the article in one of the car mags about kids losing interest in cars in general? Scary...but reality.
Appreciate 0