ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

DIY: AFE Stage 2 kit on a 3.0si

Bought an AFE Stage 2 (oiled filter) kit in january and installed it right after I took out the Zed from winter storage.
And now I thought that I could do a little DIY thread for you guys and girls

So first a picture of the OEM filter box

To remove the top lid you have to loosen the 4 metal clips around.
Then unplug the MAF sensor and loosen the hose clamp on the tube that goes backwards.

Top lid and OEM filter removed:

Now you can just pull up the bottom og the filter housing. This one is just fasten with two rubber rings put over two plastic plugs.

Then you need to remove these two plastic plugs and a round rubber block.
The plastick plugs was a little tricky to remove since I didnt know how they came apart.

As you can see the plug has two parts. You need to pry the one piece to the side to unlock it. Then you need to twist the whole plug a little to get them out of the hole.

than you need to loosen some more metal clamps.
One for the hose that goes in to the engine:

Then one a little further back towards the firewall:

This is for the soundgenerator that is installed on the 3.0si´s.

Another shot of the clamp:

Then you can remove the biggest part of the tube:

A shot that showes better where the hose clamps are located:

Next step is actually not necessary. I wanted to remove the pieces of foam that is located inside the soundgenerator to get a little more sound in to the interior.

Here you need to remove a Torx T25 screw that holds the last piece to the engine:

Here you can see the last part of the soundgenerator that goes in to the firewall:

Here is the last part removed:

loosen the last hose clamp to dismantle the last bit to get to the blocks of foam:

There is one piece of foam in both ends of the tube:

Then reinstall the last piece you removed (without the foam). Remember the Torx screw.

Now for the main pieces.

Gently remove the MAF sensor. Do not touch the little wire in the center of the white plastic. It breaks easily.

Then you can find this tube in the AFE kit and also find the gasket and two screws the is included in the AFE kit:

Put the gasket like this on the MAF sensor:

And install it the correct way on to the tube:

then you can bring out some more AFE parts.
The lower big shield, a gasket, 4 pcs. screws with washers and the adapter for the filter.

Then place the tube that you installed the MAF sensor to and line it up like in the picture. remember the gasket between the tube and the shield.

Align the adapter so it fits nicely to the hole in the shield and the tube:

Now I got a little excited and forgot to take pictures of how the shield is mounted to the car.

There is a rubber tube with the kit that is going between the plastic tube with the MAF sensor and the engine. Mount this to the plastic tube before you put the shield in. Remember to place the metal clamps before installing the kit.You can fasten the one that mounts the plastic with the rubber tube.
Now you can put the whole shield in to the enginebay.

There are some holes in the shield all the way in the bottom that should go over two screws that is welded to the chassis that sticks upwards. You see what I mean when you look down there Then you have two screws with nuts that should fasten the shield where the plastic plugs was that held the OEM lower filter housing.
And remember to plug in the MAF sensor.

Remember to place the rubber tube to the engine side and align the metal clamp in a way that you can reach it and fasten it.

Then you can take out the air filter and the largest hose clamp that was in the AFE kit.
Just mount the filter to the adapter and fasten it with the clamp.

As you probably have seen, there is a little dry filter included wit hte AFE kit. This is for the sound generator. Its just there for filtering the air so you dont get any dust in to your cabin.
This is mounted with a hose clampe just as the large filter.

Finally place the top lid with the nice logo on to the shield and fasten it with the 4 hex bolts that you have left from the kit. I hope you didnt lose them

Tadaaaaa!!!

So now crank up your engine and warm it up before taking a nice drive with high revs And remember to push the SPORT button

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by StigJ; 05-13-2013 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Great writeup. Did you notice any difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

Thanks!
Well performancewise, not so much. But the sound is sweeeeet!
      06-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
neoexodus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E93

Hey Stig; thanks for the write-up, it helped a lot last night as I put my new AFE Dry kit in. One question though: you mentioned two (2) screws that are welded to the chassis and that stick up through the bottom of the shield; I only saw one, and in my kit (11501?- whatever it is for the 06 si Roadster), I only had one opening at the bottom, a cross shape cutout. I wonder if it is different for the coupe, or if it was a difference between the years; regardless, did you do anything to secure the shield down on it? I went through Depot and picked up a nut that almost fit it and was wondering if you did the same and what size I should buy for it.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Nice write-up !

I personally can not see myself installing a filter system that's not fully sealed away from engine heat.

Dense, cool air is the only way to go in my book. Sound generated is second or last.

Maybe this Winter I'll move ahead and design a closed ,cool air full carbon fiber system with a built in cool air scoop for our cars to facilitate my wishes.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
pingpong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just installed the system as well, as the sound is amazing.

Unfortunately, it looks like I've gotten a drop in MPG (I've had this system installed for about 300 miles now). On the freeway, I'm still getting around 28MPG, which is what I used to get. In the city, though, I'm getting significantly less than before, with the same driving style. During cold idle when I let the car sit for about 30 seconds, with the MPG counter having gone through half a tank of gas, I'm seeing the computer say my MPGs are dropping from 27.3 to 26.4. That's almost 1/4 a gallon just for sitting there for 30 seconds. If I'm getting 30MPG on the freeway cruising at 60MPH, I could have driven for for about 7 miles (7 minutes) using that 1/4 gallon of gas. The car also smells like it's running incredibly rich when cold. Very disconcerting stuff.

I don't think the intake alone could account for this. Any other possible causes? Leaks, malfunctioning MAF or O2 sensors, etc?

Last edited by pingpong; 06-06-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
I just installed the system as well, as the sound is amazing.

Unfortunately, it looks like I've gotten a drop in MPG (I've had this system installed for about 300 miles now). On the freeway, I'm still getting around 28MPG, which is what I used to get. In the city, though, I'm getting significantly less than before, with the same driving style. During cold idle when I let the car sit for about 30 seconds, with the MPG counter having gone through half a tank of gas, I'm seeing the computer say my MPGs are dropping from 27.3 to 26.4. That's almost 1/4 a gallon just for sitting there for 30 seconds. If I'm getting 30MPG on the freeway cruising at 60MPH, I could have driven for for about 7 miles (7 minutes) using that 1/4 gallon of gas. The car also smells like it's running incredibly rich when cold. Very disconcerting stuff.

I don't think the intake alone could account for this. Any other possible causes? Leaks, malfunctioning MAF or O2 sensors, etc?
It is possible that oil from the filter has dusted the Platinum wire on your sensor and its having its effects.

Since you've covered 300+ miles.....now would be a good time to remove the wire sensor and spray the wire with contact cleaner or even aerosol brake cleaner to clean it of oil from the newly installed filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
pingpong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
It is possible that oil from the filter has dusted the Platinum wire on your sensor and its having its effects.

Since you've covered 300+ miles.....now would be a good time to remove the wire sensor and spray the wire with contact cleaner or even aerosol brake cleaner to clean it of oil from the newly installed filter.
Is there some residual manufacturing oil on these filters? I have one of the dry ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
Is there some residual manufacturing oil on these filters? I have one of the dry ones.
Quite possibly. Other than the OEM paper filter which remains dry.....I'm not aware of any aftermarket which can equally filter sans oil additives.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
pingpong
Private
Rep

Well, I hosed the hot wire down with CRC MAF Cleaner tonight, let it dry, put it back in, and took it out for a test drive. The idle definitely seems smoother (it was a little rough before). I haven't had a chance to do a cold start to see if my mileage is still dropping faster than normal at idle (that'll have to wait until tomorrow morning).

One thing I did notice was that the sound coming from the engine bay is a lot more muffled now, especially below 3K rpms. Past 3k it still screams. Before I cleaned the MAF, even at low rpms it was pretty loud, almost a harsh sound (kind of like when "VTEC just kicks in, yo"). Now it sounds almost stock under 3K.

BTW for anyone else doing the install: on my air filter the rubber portion that connects onto the intake piping felt a bit greasy and oily. I guess it's not a far stretch to say that there was probably some grease/oil/lubricant/whatever on the filter itself that could have contaminated the MAF.

UPDATE: I did the same thing this morning (cold start, let it idle for 30 seconds to let the revs taper off) and I noticed no appreciable drop in MPGs (at least whatever the computer said). Much smoother idle when it's cold too (I swear it's not a placebo affect from the MAF cleaner). Now it could be my MAF was pretty dirty already...I doubt the stealership ever cleaned it before.

Last edited by pingpong; 06-07-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
neoexodus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E93

haven't had any real problems with mine yet, but thanks for the heads up on this pong; I'll keep an eye out for it now that I know what to look for. I know that my gas mileage has sucked in the past few days, but I think that is more my fault than the MAF.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoexodus View Post
haven't had any real problems with mine yet, but thanks for the heads up on this pong; I'll keep an eye out for it now that I know what to look for. I know that my gas mileage has sucked in the past few days, but I think that is more my fault than the MAF.
I would have to agree with you here! I swapped the OEM about 500 miles ago and the MPG is slowly get back to where it was. I think it was because was keeping a higher RPM (and shifted a bit later) just to hear the intake screams I don't feel any different as far as performance goes but it sounds pretty intoxicating
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
mtayloruk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

I installed the AFE intake in August '11 and there were bold instructions saying -warning - clean the MAF after initial use. FYI I've noticed no reduction in MPG, just quicker pick-up and great sound.
Appreciate 0