ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

cool, looking forward to hearing them
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Buying right from the factory and they are giving me a great discount. Believe it or not, we are in a cruise so I am picking it up, dragging it on the cruise ship, then flying the package home as my second piece (duffel bag).

They are not going to weld the right pipe on so it packs up straighter and I will have it welded here.

My wife just shook her head...
You'll still likely pay for an oversized/weight bag.

The Race is really loud in the cabin when you first bolt it on...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
You'll still likely pay for an oversized/weight bag.

They are not connecting the ride side pipe to the X so the X pipe will be "relatively" straight. They said they will pack it so that the total length is 850mm (34 inches I think). It will weigh 6.5kg and each muffler is 6.5kg...19.5kg total. BA allows me 23kg per bag and I always take duffel bags on BA with no charge so I am not worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They are not connecting the ride side pipe to the X so the X pipe will be "relatively" straight. They said they will pack it so that the total length is 850mm (34 inches I think). It will weigh 6.5kg and each muffler is 6.5kg...19.5kg total. BA allows me 23kg per bag and I always take duffel bags on BA with no charge so I am not worried.
Don't have the measurement for the X-Pipe but I think it's about 4'. Good luck getting it home. I brought an Eisenmann e92 system home on the plane last year from Vancouver for a friend (purchased in the parking lot of the Sutton Place Hotel). What a bitch - never again, included a full unpacking and repacking in security with an agent who couldn't even get the box on the inspection table. I guess these things look like a small nuclear device in the screening machine
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
The lesser expensive one...think that's the sport. They just refer to them by p/n. Getting the mufflers, connectors, and X Pipe for 1222 euros...so under $1,600 Canadian. Plus no tax or duty when I bring it back!
Won't you have to claim this as purchased goods at customs upon entering Canada? You'll likely need to pay 13% HST coming in, plus whatever duties are on car parts manufactured outside of NA. Still cheaper than the other option I guess as you'd have to pay tax on that amount anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Don't have the measurement for the X-Pipe but I think it's about 4'. Good luck getting it home. I brought an Eisenmann e92 system home on the plane last year from Vancouver for a friend (purchased in the parking lot of the Sutton Place Hotel). What a bitch - never again, included a full unpacking and repacking in security with an agent who couldn't even get the box on the inspection table. I guess these things look like a small nuclear device in the screening machine
Some good points here....
This will give you an idea of the lenght on the X pipe (my roadster mod parts)

Unless you are locked & loaded re the X pipe.
You might consider just the race cans & then add an X later on.
With your previously stated goal for sound, the cans on their own will probably do everything you need.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

I am told that since the X pipe is coming in sections for shipping that it will only be 80cm long so not worried there.

In terms of sound, my only concern really is at highway speeds, but even then I not expecting stock sound. Do you think the X Pipe would make it significantly louder at highway cruising speeds?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Have you bought the X-pipe already Mike? SS X-pipe doesn't seem to change things as dramatically as the RE x-pipe. (SeanK added one, and it didn't change the sound dramatically--the RE + Eisenmann was a pretty big difference.) Not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Have you bought the X-pipe already Mike? SS X-pipe doesn't seem to change things as dramatically as the RE x-pipe. (SeanK added one, and it didn't change the sound dramatically--the RE + Eisenmann was a pretty big difference.) Not sure why.
Not yet Finnegan. Picking it all up in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

mike519, have you heard other exhaust options? I am the first to agree that the stock setup is way too anemic sounding, but when I put on the RE Diablos, I couldn't stand the interior drone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the SS drones also, except for the PowerLoops from what I recall.

The RE Drone was unbearable to me, especially with the top down (which is pretty much the only way I drive the car). RE's own literature calls them "drone free"; I'm not the only one that thinks those things drone like crazy. Just saying -- I'd hate for you lug all this stuff back, just to have to put it up for sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #33
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
mike519, have you heard other exhaust options? I am the first to agree that the stock setup is way too anemic sounding, but when I put on the RE Diablos, I couldn't stand the interior drone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the SS drones also, except for the PowerLoops from what I recall.

The RE Drone was unbearable to me, especially with the top down (which is pretty much the only way I drive the car). RE's own literature calls them "drone free"; I'm not the only one that thinks those things drone like crazy. Just saying -- I'd hate for you lug all this stuff back, just to have to put it up for sale.
As far as I understand, the SS have very little drone. Happy if others can confirm/deny.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621415

I'm not advocating against SS here. What I'm saying is make sure you research lots because sound (really the only benefit of changing the exhaust) is very subjective. The hardest part is that it is next to impossible to get any idea of how it will sound until it is on your car. If it were warmer, I'd let you have a go in my car with dubsesd's Stromungs, which I am vey happy with, but my car is in hibernation now. My wife X'd the Diablos within 30 seconds of sitting in the car, and loves the Stromungs. I agree fully.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621415

I'm not advocating against SS here. What I'm saying is make sure you research lots because sound (really the only benefit of changing the exhaust) is very subjective. The hardest part is that it is next to impossible to get any idea of how it will sound until it is on your car. If it were warmer, I'd let you have a go in my car with dubsesd's Stromungs, which I am vey happy with, but my car is in hibernation now. My wife X'd the Diablos within 30 seconds of sitting in the car, and loves the Stromungs. I agree fully.
Yeah, I have been for a run in Mirko's car with the Stromungs. It is a close second. I do like them a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #36
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

XMetal had SS Sports (edit: they may have been Race. Not sure.) and I had REs. When I met him to give a listen to my new Stromungs we compared notes on the previous setups we had run and it seemed like they were fairly similar - LOTS of drone. I wanted to cut my ears off after an hour in my coupe on the highway with the windows up with REs (drone-free my ass). Now, if I were just trying to go all out and have a strictly (or mostly at least) track car, I'd absolutely use REs. They do sound good...the drone is just unbearable for extended driving in my opinion. So, I'm really just echoing ncnmra's point. Make sure you like 'em before you go to all the trouble.

Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 01-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
XMetal had SS Sports (edit: they may have been Race. Not sure.) and I had REs. When I met him to give a listen to my new Stromungs we compared notes on the previous setups we had run and it seemed like they were fairly similar - LOTS of drone. I wanted to cut my ears off after an hour in my coupe on the highway with the windows up with REs (drone-free my ass). Now, if I were just trying to go all out and have a strictly (or mostly at least) track car, I'd absolutely use REs. They do sound good...the drone is just unbearable for extended driving in my opinion. So, I'm really just echoing ncnmra's point. Make sure you like 'em before you go to all the trouble.
Agreed...Stromungs are perfect for our cars, IMHO. I had the SS Race and it does drone under 3K or 3.5K, if I recalled correctly (I didn't had them on too long prior to yanking them off). It gets quieter at the higher rev range.

OP...Be careful in packaging those muffler tips if you're gonna stuff them in a duffel bag. Those SS Race tips are made of really thin and soft steel and would get dinged very easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Agreed...Stromungs are perfect for our cars, IMHO. I had the SS Race and it does drone under 3K or 3.5K, if I recalled correctly (I didn't had them on too long prior to yanking them off). It gets quieter at the higher rev range.

OP...Be careful in packaging those muffler tips if you're gonna stuff them in a duffel bag. Those SS Race tips are made of really thin and soft steel and would get dinged very easily.
Thanks for the tips! They will be boxed first.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #39
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk

Hey Caddyshk, Ian says he enjoyed your race cans and thought the sound was about right. He also thought they mellowed over time. How long did you find till they started to mellow and by how much? 10%? 25%? Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey Caddyshk, Ian says he enjoyed your race cans and thought the sound was about right. He also thought they mellowed over time. How long did you find till they started to mellow and by how much? 10%? 25%? Thx
It's likely more a case of me getting used to them. It was a real shock factor when I started the car right after the install; "OMG, what have I done" (explains why I got them for a real good price with only 20 miles on them - shop - home - shop) The entire system got significantly louder under acceleration with the RE X-Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #41
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yeah, I think I am just going to get the cans for now. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #42
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Back from Italy for a week where I picked up my SS Race cans from the factory. Just installed now...holy crap do I love this sound!! THIS is how the cars should sound!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #43
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
Looking forward to hearing the new setup!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #44
IDLE TIME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: still searching

Solid mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519
It's the racing ones. Never said I didn't care, said I wasn't sure. I can't afford the more expensive ones anyway.
Solid mod Mike. Post pics when done

Appreciate 0