ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
brother i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White Z4MR

Unhappy Dash cam installation adventures. Uh-oh.

Hey guys and gals!

I decided to mount a dash camera between the roll hoops, for two reasons: One, I would see my driving at the track & hopefully notice things to improve, and two - next time a SF Police officer claims I was on the phone (while I was not) I will have video proof of my innocence.

However, I'm having the proverbial *bad time*.

But, first things first:
I settled on Mobius ActionCam

and got a little ball head tripod stand for a mount

and, to keep it powered - a USB hardwire kit.

Removing the rear console upper trim piece was fairly easy, so mounting to the desired spot was a breeze. Then I started poking around for power, and that turned out trickier than expected. Granted - I'm not very mcgyvery, especially with electrical stuff - the way I went about finding out if the lines have power is by touching them with wires of the hardwire kit and looking at the camera lights (if it's connected to usb power -> it turns on).

I removed the storage compartment door (takes quite a bit of force, without encouragement from the helpful forums I would have stopped before pulling it out for the fear of breaking it) and discovered the switch for the storage compartment light. Connecting the camera to that switch worked - sweet! But it made the light stay on (and much dimmer) regardless of the switch position, so not perfect... Before putting in more work to remove the whole center console trim I decided to fish around with my fingers in the direction of the "sos/wrench" buttons (bmw assist?), and voila! Found a loose connector with 4 wires! By trial and error found out they did have power, so I connected the camera to it.

Content for the day, decided to close the top and deal with routing the wire tomorrow. However, just as it finished closing my V1 blinked all the lights, so instinctively to make sure it was ok I attempted "rebooting" the car - and on attempt to restart it's blinking the headlights and seems like the power is cutting in and out... See video:

WHAT DID I DO??? WHAT COULD IT BEEEE??? DID I F... THINGS UP BEYOND ANY HOPE??? I suspect I'm short-cirucuiting something, and I have no clue if trying to start the car a couple of times made any damage somewhere else...

I'm going to remove the console and disconnect the thing and whatnot, and try to return things back to normal - but if you have any insight as to what could have actually happened - I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
brother i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White Z4MR

Cool Duh.

Just as a follow-up – all it was was a drained battery from keeping it in accessory mode for too long while messing with this DYI project.

That taught me I don't want to have my dash cam drain the battery - so getting a discharge prevention device is probably a good idea. The highest recommended one, LK-290 is on it's way from an ebay seller. I also got the plastic bit for oddments compartment (to replace my BMW Assist buttons thingy), and I intend to mount the discharge prevention remote into that oddments compartment. I shall post pics once I do.

Oh, and that's what the camera looks like, mounted:

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Glad you figured it out! My stomach turns in those "oh sh1t" moments.

Love the interior by the way!
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

clean install, good work
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Grant01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

For future, whenever you get a click and the headlights blink, its 99% chance a battery with not enough charge. I have a Dash camera in mine and absolutely love it. I have my mounted right behind the rear view mirror though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

You guys have fancy seats... us crappy seat people just use a simple headrest mount