ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
xkegto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4

flashy lug nuts and flashy factory wheels

So I'm about to put 18 inch factory five spokes (one piece like you see on Z4 non M coupes) on my 03 and on the ECS Tuning website all the available lug nuts have a dull finish. Anyone know a vendor that offers something cool like polished stainless?

The other thing is: am I to assume that let's say an 07 Z4M came from the factory with nice wheels and ugly dull lug nuts? I say so because that seems to be the only factory offering currently.

Also along these lines an ebay seller is polishing up factory 108 wheels (18 X 8, three piece, five skinny spokes); they look spectacular. However very pricey. He is saying he is having the highly visible fasteners around the rims (that make the 3 piece design possible) nickel plated at a cost of $400 (just only that part of the process) to prevent rust. This sounds like an excellent idea however that the shop he is using isn't doing any favors. I am certain that a few calls to even expensive chrome shops would yield a lower number (nickel plating is what they do prior to chroming).

He is also saying that after polishing the outer lip that the said lip cannot be clear powder coated but I've seen it done at Atlanta's Wheel Wizard (not cheap but pretty cool)

See ebay item number 181696620587. Or from ebay home page enter Z4 factory wheels and sort by "price highest first" ( item description BMW Factory 18 Staggered BBS Style 108 $2850)

My question is: has anyone taken on a similar project with these wheels, if so who did for you and may I see pics?

any opinions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I got mine from a company called Gorilla. The ones I bought were too long but thats because I was using spacers. You might have to do some research to find the right length. I found it much cheaper to buy this set on amazon than other vendors who wanted $5 per bolt.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit- Looks like you need 12mm x 1.5mm x 26mm if you keep stock offsets. this is the closest you can get, but its 28mm, so 2mm too long. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ICXGV2/...=IYLYMLDIMA1XS

Last edited by Nate4641; 04-09-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Nate, What is the style of Morr wheels that you have in the photo? Sizes with offsets? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Nate, why are your barrels all yellow....��
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post
Nate, What is the style of Morr wheels that you have in the photo? Sizes with offsets? Thanks.
Wheels are vs8.2. They are now discontinued. 19x8.5et 35 and 19x10 et26 with 10mm rear spacers
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Wheels are vs8.2. They are now discontinued. 19x8.5et 35 and 19x10 et26 with 10mm rear spacers
What he said, only the offsets I'm not 100% on. I got these used from a guy in Texas selling them off a 3 series and he didn't know what the specs were. They were also pretty beat up with curb rash and some cracks in the barrels of a couple of them. With the 10mm spacer in the rear they fit pretty similar to Dubsesd's old set of VS8.2s, but I'm also on stock suspension and he wasn't. I tried measuring the offsets when I got them last summer, but I was coming up with some different numbers so I think I was doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Nate, why are your barrels all yellow....��
I shot that last January after washing the car from being caked in road salt (see sig pic for before wash dirtiness). My only wash option was a DIY place with a pressure washer and no drying options. My guess is thats a mix of salt and that little bit of rust that forms on the brakes when they get wet spinning off the rotors on my way home. I need to pull them off the next time I come home and do a really good detail on everything.
      04-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
xkegto
Enlisted Member
Rep

this is great info!

(snip) beat up with curb rash and some cracks in the barrels

Can we hear about the refurb?

Please forgive my slow-ness, not getting the yellow barrel thing. Also I should have started with "flashy studs" not "flashy nuts" (resist humor). Gorilla solution looks ideal, any opinions on ebay seller "tuneshop" item number 400249623032?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
xkegto
Enlisted Member
Rep

ECS tech guy said 28mm is spot on. Surely one could use a couple washers if he is incorrect and 26mm is perfect ?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
xkegto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Apologies for bandwidth. Should I have machine shop chop off 2mm, look for 2 mm spacer (and if so please link), add washers or ?? Don't want 2mm of wheel wobble for my efforts.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
xkegto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's a twist: I just measured a factory stud and it's 2 inches overall. The factory says 26mm of that is threads. The Gorilla units are 2.3 inches. I wonder if BMW counts the conical space between the threads and the bolt top as the thread measurement whereas Gorilla (and everybody else) only counts the threads?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkegto View Post
So I'm about to put 18 inch factory five spokes (one piece like you see on Z4 non M coupes) on my 03 and on the ECS Tuning website all the available lug nuts have a dull finish. Anyone know a vendor that offers something cool like polished stainless?

The other thing is: am I to assume that let's say an 07 Z4M came from the factory with nice wheels and ugly dull lug nuts? I say so because that seems to be the only factory offering currently.

Also along these lines an ebay seller is polishing up factory 108 wheels (18 X 8, three piece, five skinny spokes); they look spectacular. However very pricey. He is saying he is having the highly visible fasteners around the rims (that make the 3 piece design possible) nickel plated at a cost of $400 (just only that part of the process) to prevent rust. This sounds like an excellent idea however that the shop he is using isn't doing any favors. I am certain that a few calls to even expensive chrome shops would yield a lower number (nickel plating is what they do prior to chroming).

He is also saying that after polishing the outer lip that the said lip cannot be clear powder coated but I've seen it done at Atlanta's Wheel Wizard (not cheap but pretty cool)

See ebay item number 181696620587. Or from ebay home page enter Z4 factory wheels and sort by "price highest first" ( item description BMW Factory 18 Staggered BBS Style 108 $2850)

My question is: has anyone taken on a similar project with these wheels, if so who did for you and may I see pics?

any opinions are welcome!
Color me slightly skeptical on the eBay Style 108's. I haven't done a set of those yet, but I've done other BBS wheels that use the triple square bolts to hold the centers, and the bolts have always been titanium which doesn't rust. The clear coat is just starting to peel on my 108's so once I get the set of Style 5's I'm working on completed, the 108's are up next.
      04-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
this is great info!

(snip) beat up with curb rash and some cracks in the barrels

Can we hear about the refurb?
It ended up costing me almost a grand to get the wheels refinished. The concave profile of the wheels was also too much for the machine they used to refinish so they had to do some extra work or something which raised the price .

Quote:
ECS tech guy said 28mm is spot on. Surely one could use a couple washers if he is incorrect and 26mm is perfect ?

Apologies for bandwidth. Should I have machine shop chop off 2mm, look for 2 mm spacer (and if so please link), add washers or ?? Don't want 2mm of wheel wobble for my efforts.

Here's a twist: I just measured a factory stud and it's 2 inches overall. The factory says 26mm of that is threads. The Gorilla units are 2.3 inches. I wonder if BMW counts the conical space between the threads and the bolt top as the thread measurement whereas Gorilla (and everybody else) only counts the threads?
The bolts ECS has listed as factory replacement are 26mm. The threaded part is what you need to measure. If they are too long you run the risk of over penetrating the hub and hitting things behind them because the hub doesn't have a back to the hole, it just goes straight through. There is some wiggle room in that measurement, but not much. I did this by accident when I put on my new wheels with the Gorilla bolts. I bought 40mm bolts, but with the 10mm spacer I should have used 36mm bolts. We cut the front bolts to match the stock size, but in the rears over penetrated just enough to rub against the parking brake components.

Best bet in my opinion is get bolts that look the way you want and are too long. Take off a stock wheel and measure how far the stock bolt sticks out into where the hub would be, and then cut the new bolts to stick that far out from the new wheel. As long as the end of the threading from the new bolt that sticks out from the new wheel is the same length and the stock bolt from the stock wheel, you should be good.