ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2023, 04:34 AM   #1
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Tightest lug bolts ever!!!

I had to check on the ABS sensor in my right rear wheel. What a surprise I had when I could NOT get the lug bolts off! My impact air gun could not (I have a 6hp 60-gallon compressor), and my 12" breaker bar could not, I needed a cheater bar of 24" on my 12" breaker bar! Plus, my weight (170 lbs.) to break them loose! never in my 57 years of car stuff have I seen anything like this! I have just bought the car because I always insist on tightening them with a torque wrench! I guess the tech thought this was a BMW TRUCK so he brought out the biggest impact gun!
Attached Images

12-08-2023, 06:28 AM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Not many mechanics use a torque wrench on lug nuts anymore, just hammer them on with an impact gun until they stop turning.
All the more reason to do your own work.
      12-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

Had some so tight that we used a breaker bar, a concrete block & backed the car up for force on the bar.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

It can also be corrosion. For sure if it's this stuck and done my impact, there's bound to be damage on the wheels as the bolts are conical.
I always put some anti seize on the lug bolts (and always torque to spec, never use an impact...)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 02:51 AM   #5
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

I always use a torque wrench but only use the impact wrench to unbolt them! The best I could find out on CarFax, the tires were installed before putting the car on the dealer lot! I never thought the Z4 would be perfect, and it is not, but when I am done going over it, it will be close.