ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #23
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-e...ationFlag=true

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Major update. See original post.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #25
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Sorry to hear that it has come to a halt, but completely understandable .
...sure hope someone else picks up the ball on this!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #26
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The best-laid plans of mice and men ...
      10-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Sorry to hear that it has come to a halt, but completely understandable .
...sure hope someone else picks up the ball on this!
Me too. I think if we could get a good build template subsequent builds would be much simpler.

My buddy's kid (great kid) is under 1 year, and with him planning 1-2 Norcal road trips/weekends a month, a national meet in 2016, plus the CSL project, and work, there's just not enough time. As for me, when I'm not dealing with my dad, now 92, I'm planning or participating in the road trips as well, trying to work in some track days, and involved in local politics. Or, working with our new Aussie Cattle dog Border Collie mix and Jack Russell. (What can I say, I drive a Z4M, of course I have high energy dogs!) Oh, and there's work too! Now, if we could just find more hours in the day/week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The best-laid plans of mice and men ...
Yeah, seriously. Better to reconsider at this point then get 300 hours in though!

Bottom line thanks for the understanding guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #28
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
(If you get caught running anything different it's an impound and destroy order. Since this won't be stealth, can't risk it.)

What does this mean?

I truly do not understand. Must be a California thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #29
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whoa!

Thanks. Hitting up seller now. Needs to be newer than my car (08) to pass smog. Fingers crossed. (If you get caught running anything different it's an impound and destroy order. Since this won't be stealth, can't risk it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
What does this mean?

I truly do not understand. Must be a California thing...
I'm not sure about the laws in other states, but you can't just drop any old engine into any old car here. There are specific rules. The engine must be the same as stock or newer. So, you can replace an S54 with an S65, an S50 with an generation IV LS3, and so on. But you can't just do that and call it a day. Since it's a non-standard engine the DMV must review the installation via a "referee" who will make sure: all intake, exhaust, cats, air pump, EGR, ECU, everything are exactly the same as the stock install of the motor being used. Tailpipe emissions, actual exhaust levels are not taken into account directly (you still have to pass), but passing without a referee certification is a big risk.

Fail to do that and get sign-off and you risk have the car impounded and destroyed--no reprieve no discussion crush and destroy. So, if an officer were to pull you over, and have reason to look under the hood, and noted the non-standard motor, you might lose a lot. Obviously the risk is greater with a Chevy motor in a BMW (a heavy LS rumble in mid 90s M3 can give that away easily), but it's a risk.

Unlikely to happen buy I know of one case where it did. The "plus", if there is one, is that unlike other mods such as a supercharger you can quite easily pass smog tests (ODBII or tailpipe) and have a totally legal car without having to revert to stock to pass emissions checks every 2 years.

Just one of the many joys of living in this eco-paradise.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
bummer this isnt happening. I just put an s65 into a bmw 1 series here in CA and it is CA Legal with the street X pipe.

a z4 s65 would be an amazing car and a total blast to drive. I will say from my experience that the real difficulties in swaps lays in wiring and keeping all of the oem details.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
bummer this isnt happening. I just put an s65 into a bmw 1 series here in CA and it is CA Legal with the street X pipe.

a z4 s65 would be an amazing car and a total blast to drive. I will say from my experience that the real difficulties in swaps lays in wiring and keeping all of the oem details.
That must be an incredible build! A 1 series with the S65 is, to my mind, the way the last gen M3 should have been. Smaller, lighter, more nimble.

I see your actual experience bears out what we had thought the major issues would be: making all of the wiring and software and modules all get along happily. I think there's probably more in common with the 135 series modules (ABS, DSC, etc.) than the older E46 or Z4 platform, since those are contemporaneous model years and so on. If you had difficulty there, we probably could have multiplied that several times over. We figured we'd have to use all of the E90 modules, retrofit, or code or/around them. More of a software and hardware engineering project than a mechanical project the way we figured it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
That must be an incredible build! A 1 series with the S65 is, to my mind, the way the last gen M3 should have been. Smaller, lighter, more nimble.

I see your actual experience bears out what we had thought the major issues would be: making all of the wiring and software and modules all get along happily. I think there's probably more in common with the 135 series modules (ABS, DSC, etc.) than the older E46 or Z4 platform, since those are contemporaneous model years and so on. If you had difficulty there, we probably could have multiplied that several times over. We figured we'd have to use all of the E90 modules, retrofit, or code or/around them. More of a software and hardware engineering project than a mechanical project the way we figured it.
yes, if you want all those things to work it is an insane undertaking.

My car runs an m3 ecu, m3 guage cluster and has m3 axels front and rear. The difficulty was wiring the m3 harness to the 135i body harness. That was probably the most insane thing of all. Mike Benvo of BPM Sport did all the coding. He is a genius and sorted out a ton of little fixes. everything works in my car like oem it is pretty insane.

If I did a z4 i would do a similar approach. m3 ecu, m3 cluster and fit the m3 diff, and rear axel if possible. Essentially make it a mini m3 like my car but use the shell of the z4. I have no idea how realistic that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #33
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes, if you want all those things to work it is an insane undertaking.

My car runs an m3 ecu, m3 guage cluster and has m3 axels front and rear. The difficulty was wiring the m3 harness to the 135i body harness. That was probably the most insane thing of all. Mike Benvo of BPM Sport did all the coding. He is a genius and sorted out a ton of little fixes. everything works in my car like oem it is pretty insane.

If I did a z4 i would do a similar approach. m3 ecu, m3 cluster and fit the m3 diff, and rear axel if possible. Essentially make it a mini m3 like my car but use the shell of the z4. I have no idea how realistic that is.
Nice build! RE: Z4M, I'd expect with enough money and time it could be done. The best way to go is to use all the parts the ECU is expecting and would be happy with. We have all of those parts--full drive train, axles, etc.--for sale over in the classifieds if anyone wants to take on a Z4 conversion or a 135 conversion.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #34
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
What's the reason for the M3 rear axle and diff? Is it because of the speedo output?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0