ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Engine CPU Modification/Programming

Before I begin.....yes I've searched the forum and google.

I'm looking for custom programming of the CPU for the M54 motor in particular. I've spoken with a rep who sells Active Autowerk tuning that will upgrade the software to turn off my second O2 sensor. The issue becomes the fact that it doesn't read "ready". Is anyone aware of the ability to tune software to show the O2 as "ready".

Also, what kind of tuning options are available. Are there DIY kits that anyone has experience with, or what tuners have you worked with?

I'm more or less looking for those that have experience and can point me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I think Pokeybritches(Josh) has run the gammet on his non M as far as readiness etc.etc.
Hopefully he will chime in.

My tuner TTFS claims the O2's being turned off at least on my 04 will read ready when emmisions time comes. Still have my doubts. Your ECU is different from what I have read and been told. More OBD1 based than the 04 on modules.
Pokeybritches was also testing a CatSim that looks interesting and waiting on those results.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The issue with the Z4 is it uses a different version of MS45 than the 3 series. Most tuners buy base files from software companies when an ECU is cracked, and they tweak from there. The non-M market is so small that those software companies haven't gone in depth with the Z4, or at least not to the same extent. So is it possible? Yes. Has anyone done it? Not that I've heard.

I'm also told that the early model Z4's have a slightly different hardware setup. I can't confirm other than pass on what I've been told, so it may or may not be accurate. Apologies for the vague info.

I have the week off of work, so the plan is to spend a couple of days doing maintenance on the car. I'll have the sims soldered in and report my results.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Just a quick note that varies upon one's location:

To my understanding in most locations, tunes will give you 3/4 readiness codes and for inspection purposes that is sufficient. I have been told in Texas that so long as the rest of your vehicle is in order that one failed readiness code will not fail the car for inspection. I'll verify this myself here soon and if it doesn't pass, well I'll probably be going to sims pretty soon myself.

I was trying to use the Epic tune during my installation and was only receiving three out of the four, I'm not sure if this was due to other complications at the time, but it seemingly may have worked where all was going to be showing ready when the car had reached a proper break-in. Although no SES would have shown for this tune regardless if the fourth readiness was a go or no go.

Hope it helps your decision process.
      05-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

I've been trying to read up on what emissions test will allow.

The AA software supposedly will stop the CEL but the 2nd o2 will show as "not ready''.

According to the testing, it will cost me a little more $ and time to pass but I'll pass.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-cl...ts-and-repairs
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
I've been trying to read up on what emissions test will allow.

The AA software supposedly will stop the CEL but the 2nd o2 will show as "not ready''.

According to the testing, it will cost me a little more $ and time to pass but I'll pass.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-cl...ts-and-repairs
Yep, $450 of work you can do yourself from what I gather. The inspection/estimate of work required however has to be done by a registered Emissions station though.
Good for one year and then another $450?
Wonder how many times they will let that happen??

I am getting oil changed in the Jeep soon and the place does emissions testing. I will pick his brain.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Yep, $450 of work you can do yourself from what I gather. The inspection/estimate of work required however has to be done by a registered Emissions station though.
Good for one year and then another $450?
Wonder how many times they will let that happen??

I am getting oil changed in the Jeep soon and the place does emissions testing. I will pick his brain.
A 'good' shop and a $20 note?

I don't wanna do $450 every time
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
A 'good' shop and a $20 note?

I don't wanna do $450 every time
Down here it's a little different, but if you'd like to go the safest of routes you can tell them that they're disabled and have them tuned out and use simulators to grab the rest of the information. I forget how long they last but I believe they run somewhere in the 20-40 dollar price range a piece. This will show them as ready, and you will pass no problem. I've had several friends go this route with their E46 S54s and they haven't had a problem doing so (even on some crazy loud and big setups).

Down side to the above is that you may be buying them once every few years to continue getting your inspection passed, or they may last a lifetime, I'm unsure of what is to be expected from them.

Hope that helps.